BC Boards

Puppy problems

I am an owner of 2 almost 3 month old border collie pups - Baxter(m- black) and Brownie (f -red). We got them as brother and sister from the same litter. It is our family's first time with dogs. Everything has been going great until this past week. And I don't know what has happened or how to fix it. I hope you guys can help.

About a week ago they started growling over their food. They each get their own small bowl, but are not content with just theirs. This weekend it has escalated to them fighting with each other anytime we leave them alone together. To the point that it is really scary. What could have triggered this? My two daughters play with them equally. Is there anything besides keeping them apart that will help with this problem? They are really sweet with people and still are. They love to play with us, but lately not with each other.

Any suggestions would be welcomed!

Thanks,

Kristen

Feed them in crates, with the doors closed. Ensure that you are the leader in the house. Exercise and training, and don't allow any shenanigans. They may just want all the attention- some individuals are like that. You need to let them know that you decide when who gets what attention. Make sure you crate them when you feed them is a good first step. Pick up the bowls when they are done.

Julie

I am an owner of 2 almost 3 month old border collie pups - Baxter(m- black) and Brownie (f -red). We got them as brother and sister from the same litter. It is our family's first time with dogs. Everything has been going great until this past week. And I don't know what has happened or how to fix it. I hope you guys can help.

About a week ago they started growling over their food. They each get their own small bowl, but are not content with just theirs. This weekend it has escalated to them fighting with each other anytime we leave them alone together. To the point that it is really scary. What could have triggered this? My two daughters play with them equally. Is there anything besides keeping them apart that will help with this problem? They are really sweet with people and still are. They love to play with us, but lately not with each other.

Any suggestions would be welcomed!

Thanks,

Kristen

sounds like good advice.. just another question on this topic.. are they deciding who is alpha when this is going on?? I mean they maybe positioning in the pack??

I think they are positioning. At least that is what I have just found out from a trainer that we are going to be going to. But she also mentioned that because they are siblings, this positioning will not end and they will leave the humans out. We are trying to figure out what would be best for the dogs. They have drawn blood now and it is worrysome. Have you heard the same?

Julie's right--feed them in crates, or like mine, who do not have crates, I feed them in separate rooms, with closed doors. Food is then not an issue. This is probably why most advise against littermates, but since you already have them...I would suggest (lots of) separate time for each with you and the other humans in the household. Letting them have 100% of their time together is not a good idea. They each need separate time to train (lie down, recalls, etc. ) with you, away from each other, so that they bond with you, and don't just focus on each other. If they've already drawn blood, you may already have a big problem on your hands. But at this point, I would really curtail their time together, and make sure you have good one-on-one with each, so that they both know who is in charge. :rolleyes:

Anna