BC Boards

Growing Pains

I own a 7 month old border and over the past 6 weeks he has been really sore. It started looking as a pulled muscle in his back right leg. But overall its as if his whole body is sore now not being able to really do much of anything without looking in pain. Can this be chaulked up to growing pains. Has anyone experienced this type of behavior, were it looks like a strained muscle and then seems to move from leg to leg.

Cheers.

I own a 7 month old border and over the past 6 weeks he has been really sore. It started looking as a pulled muscle in his back right leg. But overall its as if his whole body is sore now not being able to really do much of anything without looking in pain. Can this be chaulked up to growing pains. Has anyone experienced this type of behavior, were it looks like a strained muscle and then seems to move from leg to leg.

Cheers.

Take that dog to the vet!

Two thoughts: one, something called pano (short for panosteitis, I believe). It's truly a "growing pain" thing, and does seem to move from leg to leg. It's a temporary thing, and activity, I'm told, is OK. BUT, best verified by your vet. Second, TBD (tick borne diseases)--they can lead to weird lameness that seems to move about, or can affect all limbs or joints. You may or may not have other symptoms with it. Again, best get thee to a vet promptly. If it IS a TBD, please check out a list online called Tick-L. You should find it if you google it. Please let us know,

Anna

My dog had Lyme disease, and it manifested like you're describing - seeming soreness or lameness that moved from leg to leg. Within a few days of taking the antibiotic, the lameness went away. Given your location, it's not unlikely for your dog to have contracted Lyme or another tick-borne disease.

Good luck!

Mary

Okay, I appreciate everyone's concern and take on things. I had taken him to the vet twice previously to the first post. The first visit was to check his leg after playing some early morning frisbee which started this whole ordeal. The vet said soft tissue injury gave me anti-inflamatories. Make a long story short he has never really fully got there so i went back and got x- rays. X-rays show a slight subplex in the left hip(in xray legs shift to the right, instead of laying them straight). But now his front right leg is sore as noted soreness moving leg to leg. looks a little tight in his hind quaters but not as much. I spoke to a specialst on the phone and i have an appointment in a week. Also ive been researching and found a website stating that it isnt uncommon for dogs to be misdiagnosed during x rays; example the way they are set up on the machine. Further more there are no degenerative signs in the hip and the initial injury came from frisbee. We work really hard together to condition not only his mind but his body and exergt all the energy. Im hoping that it is "Pano", Ive researched it all, So my question still stands, had anyone else experienced growing pains associated with an acute injury. Or now that you all know the details, is there anyway he can grow out of this type of thing. Will post again next week after appointment. Thanks again.

Just a question- do you feed puppy food? Cody experienced the same problems when he was about 5 months old... pains that moved from leg to leg. I later found out that it is quite common in dogs that are fed puppy food. The puppy food causes them to grow up much faster than nature intended and can result in growing pains. I havent fed puppy food to Delta... she is still incredibly healthy and growing at a more appropriate rate. She will still reach the same adult size, just not as quickly. It is much better on their joints, muscles etc. Puppy food was basically invented by people who realised that they could make even more money out of gullible people by telling them that puppies need a special food. (sorry im rather passionate in my dislike of commercial dog food companies)

Let us know what the vet says.

Yup I had him check for Lyme and ticks ect and Yes in fact i am feeding him puppy food. But I just mixed a bag of adult food in with the rest of his bag of puppy food. I buy kirkland signature puppy, it has heaps of good ingrediants and i have heard good things. Curiously enough though he was hovering around 30-32 lbs and over the past 6 weeks he has reached 40 lbs hitting probably the biggest growth spurt. If it is indeed just that "growing pains" how long did it take for your pup to get all sorted out. By the way berocca thanks for commenting.

Cheers