BC Boards

NC Picnic Saturday - Last Minute Discussion

We are just about ready for you guys here! All the fields are mowed and some fallen trees that came down in the last high wind have been cut up and carted away, courtesy of our amazingly industrious landlord. We will be weaning about half our lambs and I hope to have them "broken" to being worked without mama before the clinic.

So what is the final count? and who's bringing what and what do we need to provide?

Does anyone need the kitchen - fridge, stove, oven, or freezer? We have a very large cooler but we don't have a grill or anything.

Is anyone staying at our house, and when? I've lost track of who all actually plans to be overnighting. :rolleyes:

Chuck, Fergie, and I are driving up for the day. I'd offer our guest room for travelers, but it's full of it's and one office's furniture as we redo the room (including pulling up the carpet and installing hardwood - ourselves).

I'll bring a spinach-ricotta pie, which needs neither heating nor cooling. I'll bet Chuck adds a bottle or two of wine.

I'm coming with Faith and Violet. I'm bringing the paper plates, cups, disposable utensils, and napkins. I have a friend with a house in Semora so we'll be staying there. Since I live about four hours away, I'm coming in the evening before. So Becca if you need help setting up, I'll be in town.

Becca, could you give the directions again? I'm so sure I remember the way that I'll get lost.

A friend in Semora - other than Becca? Now, what are the odds of that? You know 2 out of how many there? I'm always pleasantly surprised by coincidences.

I'm coming, maybe with, maybe without the DH. Who knows. I'm planning to bring (what'd I say??) a honeybaked ham, a side item of some sort, and probably a desert. Drinks, too. I'll probably bring some rolls with the ham - it'll travel well and can be eaten cold, or hot.

I'm planning on being there with Colby (and probably his fishing pole :rolleyes: ). I haven't figured out what I'm making yet. I might just come with the same items as last year - stromboli and watergate salad (sans marshmallows) unless I get a bright idea between now and then.

I will be there after I con either Julie or Laura to pick me up somewhere along the road somewhere. I'll be bringing a dessert and probably something else that is appealing to me at the moment which will probably be LOTS of deviled eggs as I will eat MOST of them!!!!

Sounds like serious sweet-tooth time. I'll bring a dessert, of course. I'll see what I can make that won't show the oil-based woodwork paint (honest - only kidding).

Make those deviled eggs a double! The kids love them, too. Colby's fishing pole is vey welcome - I'll get Patrick to get the kid's gear ready if he doesn't mind the company.

Laura's going to need a semi to haul all the stuff up here! Wow.

That's a very weird coincidence about your dad's house, Sally. Hyco is just beautiful. If you hike about two miles back through the woods off our property, the lake is right there. I've never tried it and suspect you'd have to cut across someone's backyard to actually get to the water, but my landlord says he and his brothers used to go down there all the time.

All right, I'm tidying the house but I'm not making it company clean. If anyone ends up spending the night here, you'll just have to remember - lambing, four rescue dogs, a bout of the flu, a hubby working at home, two kids, and two puppies are all conspiring to make this place a disaster.

That's a very weird coincidence about your dad's house, Sally. Hyco is just beautiful. If you hike about two miles back through the woods off our property, the lake is right there.

The house belongs to a friend's family, not mine - if it were mine, I'd offer to let other people stay there with me. :D I just happened to ask her one day, out of curiosity, where her dad's lake house was, and she said "Semora." So I said, "You'll never believe where I'm going June 2nd." :rolleyes: She thought it was a pretty weird concidence, too.

So I'm off to the grocery store tonight. Do we have an official head count yet? Looks like around a dozen so far, from reading this thread.

We'll miss you Robin, but good luck and have a great time!

I forgot I was going to have some additional passengers - so I may have to revise the ham idea down to something that will take up less room (or maybe bake my own ham to bring... a smaller one). Suffice it to say that I'll bring something main-dishish, whether it be a ham or not. :rolleyes:

I know Julie P's not had internet access for a few days, but I know she's coming.

Laura - I know that Julie will be happy to bring me as well...but maybe if you all shared the duty it wouldn't be so bad on either of you. I REALLY appreciate the ride as I just don't have a car sufficient to bring me and dogs in for the day...not to mention I have yet to drive since the accident!!!

So I will be more than happy to hold something in my lap as well.

Laura - I know that Julie will be happy to bring me as well...but maybe if you all shared the duty it wouldn't be so bad on either of you. I REALLY appreciate the ride as I just don't have a car sufficient to bring me and dogs in for the day...not to mention I have yet to drive since the accident!!!

So I will be more than happy to hold something in my lap as well.

:D Yep, Julie and I have you covered between the two of us. No worries there... and you may well wind up with something in your lap. :rolleyes:

Wow, I feel like I've been in a time warp without access for a week!

I am bringing myself and something easy to make, like pasta salad or cheese and crackers, since we still don't have all the furniture in the house and the boxes and boxes of STUFF are still looming large in the garage. I just got the last bits (including the camper) moved yesterday and am so tired I'm leaving work shortly to go home and take a desperately needed nap. It sounds like we'll have plenty of desserts, so I'll skip that. If anyone has any specific requests that don't require a lot of time in the kitchen, I'll do it.

Rachel, I figure one of us can take you and one can bring you home. I need to go by Joy's, but I'll do that on whichever leg doesn't force you to go along on the side trip.

Laura, I hope you can do the ham--it sounds yummy! I hope to be alive enough by Saturday to actually be reasonably functional.... (Do you know that someone has already run into the fence--took a 3-in. chunk out of one of the telephone pole posts along the road, but did NOT actually break the wire!). The sheep are all fine and enjoying thier more wide open space.

J.

Julie, where are you living now? Your tag line still says Cedar Grove. Are you still local?

I worry, having been a tech writer and married to a tech writer. We were lucky enough (and old enough) to retire before the market bombed.

Rachel,

Because of the number of times people have run cars through the fence, Jimmy actually had the authorities do a study (trying to justify lowering the speed limit on the road), which included using one of those speed indicators. Apparently top speeds in either direction were in excess of 100 mph. I'm not a slowpoke by any means, but I can't *imagine* going that fast on that road. (A state trooper staked out the area for about a week around that time and wrote so many speeding tickets that he figured he'd get a reward.) The girl who hit the fence was going about 70 and lost control coming around the curve. She bounced of the posts/fence and ended up across the road. What's really sad is that this was something like her 7th incident involving speeding and she's not yet 18 and still she has her license. What the heck is up with that???

Nancy,

I still have the same writing/publishing job so no worries there. I moved to Liberty, NC (actually a little north of Liberty, but Liberty is the address). I am now practically next door neighbors with Tony and Mary Luper.

J.

Julie, I assume it's the Liberty in Randolph County? If the name is good, why not use it several times. Only 3 Libertys in NC. Heck, in Charlotte, there's the corner of Queen, Queens, and Queens. And the locals don't see the problem!