BC Boards

I let my dog down

Patty Abel

Monday morning my Donald worked with me for four hours. He held the sheep, moved them(not always the way I thought they should go, but hey, I can carry my bucket over there), kept the moms from tromping me while I tended their lambs, held sheep in a foot bath, and basicly didn't stop working until I quit work exhausted at noon. Usually after a morning like this he just sleeps all afternoon.

I went to town for two hours. When I returned I found Donald with a guinea in his mouth. When I yelled he dropped it and took off. I quickly realized he had dug under the garden fence and broke into the poultry coop/run. All but one of the dozen guineas I was raising were gone. I found 5 bodies in the garden.

The waste broke my heart. And now...where is the dog? Neighbor across 11 called and said she saw him jump the front gate and head toward town. I was furious (and did I mention before?) heartbroken. I got a leash and a pack of hot dogs and walked to the high-way. There he was, running along the road. I called in the most non-emotional voice I could muster"that'll do, come to me"

He begrudgingly returned, slinking right up the middle of the road, lots of cars courteously slowed and changed lanes. I could hardly look at him, I should have done more to protect my birds. (of course I didn't give him a hotdog.) This dog has a pet rabbit that feasts in my yard (the plants are in cages). I thought we had reached an understanding that the small animals were off limits... I didn't strike him, to much time passed and emotion was over the roof, but put him in a crate in the barn where he stayed all night howling. Now he's out of the crate but I am still withholding attention. My sister said dogs and poultry just don't mix. Sixty dollar lesson learned... any thoughts?

Don't beat yourself up over it. It sounds like he had a grand time, and you probably spooked him - with the evidence in his mouth, and, he saw you- pack momma, tell him off. Leaving is avoidance behaviour. While we can't read dog's minds, we can remember that they live in the moment, and that the only thing to take from this is to learn from it. Set up a new pen for your fowl, and make it Fort Knox. Sometimes spit happens, and you just have to look at it as a learning experience and move on. Don't dwell on it, just move on. I know what you are going through, but just remember, it's over and don't let it happen again. Hugs to you.

Julie

Monday morning my Donald worked with me for four hours. He held the sheep, moved them(not always the way I thought they should go, but hey, I can carry my bucket over there), kept the moms from tromping me while I tended their lambs, held sheep in a foot bath, and basicly didn't stop working until I quit work exhausted at noon. Usually after a morning like this he just sleeps all afternoon.

I went to town for two hours. When I returned I found Donald with a guinea in his mouth. When I yelled he dropped it and took off. I quickly realized he had dug under the garden fence and broke into the poultry coop/run. All but one of the dozen guineas I was raising were gone. I found 5 bodies in the garden.

The waste broke my heart. And now...where is the dog? Neighbor across 11 called and said she saw him jump the front gate and head toward town. I was furious (and did I mention before?) heartbroken. I got a leash and a pack of hot dogs and walked to the high-way. There he was, running along the road. I called in the most non-emotional voice I could muster"that'll do, come to me"

He begrudgingly returned, slinking right up the middle of the road, lots of cars courteously slowed and changed lanes. I could hardly look at him, I should have done more to protect my birds. (of course I didn't give him a hotdog.) This dog has a pet rabbit that feasts in my yard (the plants are in cages). I thought we had reached an understanding that the small animals were off limits... I didn't strike him, to much time passed and emotion was over the roof, but put him in a crate in the barn where he stayed all night howling. Now he's out of the crate but I am still withholding attention. My sister said dogs and poultry just don't mix. Sixty dollar lesson learned... any thoughts?

I feel bad for you. I had virtually the same thing happen with ducks, long ago. We all screw up sometimes, it hurts, and we learn from it.

Why are you still withholding attention from him?

Business like is a better term. Boundaries. I will do some sheep work in a little while and I'll know then if he's traumatized. I can't have him taking off over the fence after correction.

Hi Patty

I see what you are saying- the dog is avoiding the correction. It is hard for them sometimes. I don't know if I would expect a correction coming on the training field to have the same weight as in the guinea pen with one in his mouth. It is really best if you work him like nothing happened, and as you said fix the pen. If you are still tweeked at him, don't work him. But don't dwell on it, it will do neither of you any good.

Julie

Hi Patty

I see what you are saying- the dog is avoiding the correction. It is hard for them sometimes. I don't know if I would expect a correction coming on the training field to have the same weight as in the guinea pen with one in his mouth. It is really best if you work him like nothing happened, and as you said fix the pen. If you are still tweeked at him, don't work him. But don't dwell on it, it will do neither of you any good.

Julie

Tuesday I only had to catch one ewe and Donald is good at that. Success and praise. Then we quit. Today I had him dragging a lead and we went out into the fields to spray individual burdock plants. He ranged around me and eventually lay down and kept his eye on me. He had his eye on the sheep in the barn yard but stopped returned to me when I called him. We were out in the heat for a couple hours but he stayed with me.

I can't carry a scythe when he's with me though, he will leave if something starts swinging. I have one old rescue named Bert that stays right with you even if you have tools. You have to shove him out of the way so you don't hit him with the pick ax or scythe. He's a great pal, but to wobbly legged to work sheep.

I'mglad you had a couple of good moments with him since.

I can really sympathize with how you feel about letting him down...btdt.

I don't know how it is with your dog but with my old dog, my close-as-a-heart-beat dog, she forgave me, every time. I would bet yours will too.