BC Boards

Animal Licenses

Hi Jodi,

One thing about New England that's different from many other parts of the country is that virtually everyone lives within a city or town limits. Except for a few areas in northern Maine and a couple of "locations" in the White Mountains of New Hampshire, everyplace is incorporated, which means that there's always a place for the vet to send the cert to, which starts the ball rolling. We have pretty regular contact with our town clerks here -- that's where you register to vote, register cars, get marriage licenses. Most are also notary publics (notaries public?), so if you need a document notarized you can usually get it done there. If you have to file notice of a lien under the Uniform Commercial Code, you go to the city or town clerk where the subject property is located. In any event, you can't go too long without crossing paths with your town clerk in New Hampshire, and when you do, you will be reminded to license your dog.

In parts of the country where many people live in unincorporated townships (outside city, town, or village limits) you're more likely to be dealing with the state for many of the things we deal with locally. And without a local with an incentive to hunt you down, it's not likely that dog registration laws will be enforced.

High license fees also discourage compliance.

Wow! I guess they're trying to discourage people from having a fourth dog, eh?

Jodi

yeah.. land is pretty scare in singapore.. and 70% of singaporeans stay in apartments.. so i can't imagine anyone having lots of dogs.

Otherwise those who keep lots of dogs.. are like breeders (ack!).. that's it

No license laws here in Denmark. However, all dogs from 4 months old must be IDed properly. This means a tag and collar with owner info. I think it also means a chip or tattoo. From 2011, a chip is the only thing that is valid if you want to travel in the EU with a pet. Which reminds me, we need to look into the EU passport for Molly in case we ever want to take her to Germany for cheap soda or beer...

(the beverages would be for us or people we know, not for Molly...)

Hello , I'm wondering what this license is about ..because here in Belgium no one needs to do anything , at least unless they get into trouble probably , as always in this country !

My dog has a European passport with description and shots , because I travel in other EU countries , but nothing compulsory . Of course she has a chip and a collar and all , but it seems to be up to the owner here , lots of people in rural areas never bother to do anything about their dogs , I mean officially , even if they do get the shots done .

Bexie I don't know about Denmark and Germany , but I go from here to France or Lux or Netherlands , with no trouble . By car , so I wouldn't know about planes and real regulations as the road borders have disappeared everywhere .

I was told by my vet that if arrested in France I'd need her passport though , so I take it .

Of course the UK is still very difficult (not impossible but expensive and troublsome) .

I'm wondering if I could travel to Denmark or Norway with the dog and her normal passport or do I need some more stuff ?

Hello , I'm wondering what this license is about ..because here in Belgium no one needs to do anything , at least unless they get into trouble probably , as always in this country !

License laws in the US are generally a way of letting your local government know you have a dog and proving that its shots are up-to-date. This gives the government the right to take any untagged dog it finds and give you nasty fines if the shots aren't up-to-date. It also gives owner registration so they can track you down if your dog gets found or gets into trouble. So it's mainly a tool for local enforcement and getting money to pay for problematic dogs.

I'm wondering if I could travel to Denmark or Norway with the dog and her normal passport or do I need some more stuff ?

Denmark is part of the EU, so you can visit DK without a problem. I'd have to research the Norwegian laws. You can probably get that info from the embassy. I think it is much harder to get animals into the other Scandinavian countries. I think the only EU problem area is Ireland, if I remember correctly from my research the other day. I was mostly looking at Germany because we got a sudden idea Friday night last week to maybe get some soda when we were going to be only 30 km away, but we didn't have time anyway.

• 2 weeks later...
What are the advantages of licensing your dog? (other than avoiding some fees or extra charges in case the dog is picked up by the pound)?

In my town, a loose dog without a license is immediately taken to the pound; a loose dog with a license is usually taken to their owners home. So, it's not just a difference between 1 ticket (loose dog = $75) and 2 tickets & 1 fee (loose dog, unlicensed dog, impoundment fee = $200), it is the difference between my dog being taken on a 40 minute drive to a very stressful place or taken on a much shorter drive to his own home!

Oh, and to license a dog in my town costs $16 every three years; proof of rabies vaccination is required.

Here I think it's something in the range of $5-$15 per dog... low end if it's altered, high end if it's not. I really don't know what the benefits of licensing is, or really why they even do it, it's not like it's enforced anywhere?

I would seriously get my pants in a bunch if they told me I had to annually vaccinate my dog for rabies. I'll go with the vet's recommendation on that one, thanks - they have a 3 year vaccine that is good for 3 years, and no beaurocrat is going to tell me otherwise!

Guest TheRuffMuttGang

In my city, the fee is $5 per year for altered pets and $10 per year for unaltered pets. My city has no pet limit in my city and as long as your pet is licensed, the impoundment fee for the first pickup is free. The impoundment fee for registered vs. unregistered pets appears to be the same, aside from the "one free ride" that registered pets get. Sterilized impoundment fee is $25 and unsterilized is $50. Another $5 is added for "handling" and if the pet is not registered, it is then done so and the appropriate sterilized or unsterilized fee charged. So, if your unsterilized, unregistered, unvaccinated pet gets picked up by AC, the fee will be $80. If your sterilized, unregistered, vaccinated pet gets picked up the fee is just $35. If your registered pet gets picked up: Free.

Another interesting note about our shelter: Pets with any sort of tag on them are automatically held longer than pets without any type of tag on.

One thing you should consider is that if your pet is not registered with your city and it is picked up by animal control, most ACs will immediately jab your pet with a rabies vaccine since they have no idea whether or not your pet has had one. If it is registered, they know the pet has had a rabies vaccine so your pet doesn't get an unneeded vaccine. My local AC does not do this, but rather gives the owner a chance to show the rabies cert when they claim the pet. If they can't show it, the dog gets a rabies vaccine before the owner can take it home ($15).

Here I think it's something in the range of $5-$15 per dog... low end if it's altered, high end if it's not. I really don't know what the benefits of licensing is, or really why they even do it, it's not like it's enforced anywhere?

Hi Natalie,

The main time that it's enforced is when (if) the dog strays or gets into trouble -- biting a person, attacking livestock, barking complaints from neighbors, etc. In some towns, animal control is more proactive and will knock on your door if they see a dog in the yard but don't have a license at that address. The benefits are that if your dog is licensed and strays, it can be tracked back to you, and if it bites someone it will not be euthanized to determine its rabies status (annual licensing requires current rabies vaccination, not necessarily annual vaccination).

Money from dog license fees in Mass. go into two pools: one to assist with the cost of sheltering, speutering, and vaccinating unlicensed strays, and another to compensate owners of livestock whose animals are damaged or killed by unknown or unlicensed dogs.