BC Boards

Animal Licenses

I'm just curious ... where you live ... are you required to license your dogs? If so, what does it cost?

In Boise, per year, it's:

$41.25 - non-sterilized - over one year old

$21.25 - non-sterilized - under one year old

For sterilized pets (with written proof of spay/neuter from vet), you deduct $16.25.

If your unaltered unlicensed dog is caught running loose in the neighborhood and gets picked up by animal control, it costs you a small fortune to get them out of doggie jail. If you can't afford to get them out of doggie jail, they are altered and put up for adoption. If your dog is already altered but unlicensed when found, it costs you less, but still a small fortune in fines, etc.

What are the laws/fees/requirements where you live?

Jodi

In my county in MI, dog licences are $5/year, $12 3/year for a spayed/neutered dog or $10/year, $25/3 year for an intact dog. Delinquent fees are $25 for a 1 yr license or $30 for a s/n 3 yr license and $40 for an intact 3 yr license.

I haven't gotten a license for Kipp yet (had him since last Sept) as I want to get a 3 yr license and you need a 3 yr rabies vac for the same 3 years. His current rabies vaccination runs through June, and licences fees are due by the end of May. I wanted to wait for as long as possible before vaccinating him again. So he's going in this weekend, and I send the check and paperwork in for his license.

The worse that would have happend if for some reason he had gotten picked up by AC is that I would have gotten a $20 citation and might have had to pay the delinquent fee (depending on the time of year).

In the city of Vancouver, intact dogs are $65 per year to license, and altered dogs are $35. If your unlicensed dog is impounded, it's $150 to claim him/her. If your licensed dog is impounded, it's $75 to claim. For impound fees, it doesn't seem to make a difference if the dog is intact.

Here in West Lafayette it's $2 for altered females and males (unaltered or altered is the same) and $3 for unaltered females. It's not enforced and very few people actually license. :rolleyes:

One of the towns I'm considering moving to is $5 for a lifetime license for altered animals and $30 per year for unaltered animals. :D The other is $6 for altered animals annually and $12 annually for unaltered animals. Both cities require an annual rabies vaccine. :D

I pay $25 for a group license. These are available to anyone with more than five dogs. You have to show proof of valid rabies vaccination -- the state leaves it up to your vet to decide whether to go with annual or triennial vaccinations. Each dog has to be listed, and if it's speutered you have to have the certificate from the vet. (On a group license, this makes no difference in the cost, but the town, county, and state keep records of how many entire dogs and bitches are within each jurisdiction.)

For those with fewer than five dogs, I think it's $5 for speutered and $12.50 for entire. Valid rabies, speuter cert required.

Rabies is required, but where I'm at in the county there is no license required. If you live in the city, you're supposed to license your dogs. The license is free as long as you provide proof of current rabies vaccination. I've been told by someone that works for the local animal control that it's not enforced, but I don't know for sure.

*Edited because I looked it up to be sure*

This is such a interesting and shocking thread for me: I just did a search online and found out there is such thing as a dog license required in the county I live in! I NEVER knew that! It's $12.00 for spayed or neutered dogs and $24.00 for unspayed or non-neutered dogs.

I've had Ouzo for a year and a half, and none of our vets ever mentioned that. What are the advantages of licensing your dog? (other than avoiding some fees or extra charges in case the dog is picked up by the pound)? I belive certain communities require the dog to be licensed as a condition of having a dog in the said subdivision.

We live in an apartment complex, where a lot of paperwork was required when we got the puppy, but no one mentione licensing.....

I was aware of the rabies tag being required in CO, requirement which we happily comply with.

Hi Foo!!!!! Nice to see ya!

Actualy, not that good - has a nasty cough (check the thread in the Health Section). But apart of that, as of right now, he's desperatly trying to find out what I have hidden in the computer room. Answer: a tiny-winy baby bunny that Chris and I caught 1 hr ago just in front of our apt. building :D He's scared out of his mind and we're trying to decide if to keep him in my former guinea pig's cage, or to let him loose tomorrow morning. He was hopping in between the cars and he would have probably been ran over one - it's some nasty rain outside and visibility is low.

How's the crew doin'? Love the bloody fonts, makes them look dangerous and kindda heavy metal :rolleyes:

P.S. Our appologies to the OP, Foo and I do this often, highjacking someone else's thread :D

For disabled people like us it is $6.50 per dog.

If you are late getting your dog license by the due date, then the fee goes up to $26.50.

Rabies Vaccine is required.

Here in New Hampshire when your vet vaccinates the dog for rabies a copy of the cert is sent to the city or town clerk where you live. Many clerks will contact you if they don't hear from you by April 1 to remind you that your dog must be licensed. I think the clerk gets to keep 50 cents from each license, so they have an incentive to get dog registered. Money from the license fees also goes into a fund to compensate livestock owners for animals killed by unidentified dogs running at large, and toward education re: pet overpopulation.

Vermont and Massachusetts have similar systems. Unregistered dogs are the exception rather than the rule in all three states. License tags are the most common way of tracking lost dogs back to their owners: a call to the town clerk with the license number will tell them the name and address of the owner. And $6 is a lot less than "Home Again" costs.

I had no idea that license fees varied so much! In Michigan we pay $7 for a dog (I think that's the price of the altered dog; it is more if it is unaltered). The delinquent fee is $30. You can get the license at the vet's office, if you have done it in the past. My vet will not license dogs he has not licensed before. Also, dogs that don't have proof of rabies vaccination don't get a license.

One benefit of licensing: if the dog gets picked up by the dog catcher, the vet's phone number is on the back of the tag and they can track down the owner.

Vikim: The vet's number is on our rabies' tag. Does that mean my dog is licensed? Nope :rolleyes: My dog actualy has 3 identification tags on his collar, one for rabies, one for Home Again, and one we made with his name, our address and phone #.

Ah--maybe the vet number is on the rabies ta instead--my dog has three tags on her: license, rabies and her name tag with my phone number on it.

Also, one nearby city requires cats to be licensed as well. I have no idea what that costs; I have a cat but don't live in that city.

For singapore.. its

. . .

* 4th and subsequent dog: S$175.00

Wow! I guess they're trying to discourage people from having a fourth dog, eh?

Unregistered dogs are the exception rather than the rule in all three states.

Maybe the rest of the states should be looking at NH, VT, and MA. I know that the method of licensing dogs here in Idaho seems to be failing miserably. A good percentage of the people I talk to here in the city aren't even aware that they are supposed to license their dogs.

Jodi

$10 a year for altered dog(the tag is perminant, but you still have to pay the random fee every year lol) and $30 for intact. its NOT enforced, and I personally have not licenced my dogs in years, and while its a small fortune to collect your dog if they are picked up unlicenced, I have sooo many "get out of jail free" cards that I would only have to pay for a $10 licence to retrieve them lol

Well, this thread is very interesting and prompted me to check on our town's requirements. The vet did tell me it would be cheaper to license Bo after he was altered. However, I *blush* haven't done that yet... :rolleyes:

We live in NY, home of the huge tax - but these fees don't seem bad. I think the city is more expensive.

Dogs

78-1 License fees.

A. Commencing on October 1, 1979, the license fees for dogs shall be as follows:

(1) Spayed or neutered dog: $5.50

(2) Unspayed or unneutered dog: $13.50

B. The statutory fees are $2.50 and $7.50 respectively

C. Local fee is $3.00

So I think the total would be 11$ ?