BC Boards

Coughing

Anda

Ouzo's started coughing yesterday afternoon. It had been raining and Chris took him out at lunch and Ouzo played in the puddles at the dog run, then at 5.30 when I came home from work, he was already coughing. I took him out again and he splashed in the accumulated cold rain water for a little while. I didn't think much of it until later in the evening, when he started making sounds as if he's about to spit a hairball (not that I've ever seen a cat do that, mind you, but that's how I would sound if I had a hair stuck in the back of my throat).

It got much worse when I went to bed, he was almost choking while trying to expell an unseen something by coughing. I thought "heartworms"! :D But he's on Heartguard for two months now (my vet doesn't prescribe it during winter months, but he had a blood test this spring before starting again on Heartguard), so that cannot be it... I thought "cold".

Gave him some milk, which did some good, I think his throat was dry from all the coughing. Later we gave him 1/4 of ibuprofen pill, then out of desperation, I found some Children's ElixSure Cough Syrup (Dextromethorphan HBr) and put a bit of it on my finger and let him lick it. Not sure which one did the trick, but his cough got better in a matter of minutes. Probably the cough syrup. He had another burst of coughing at 4 AM, I gave him a bit more syrup on my finger. The dosage says for childredn 2-6, who weight 24-47 lb (he's 45 lb) - 1 tablespoon. What I gave him on my finger was probably 1/8 of tablespoon. And we had a quiet rest of the night.

This morning he sounds better, as if the phlegm he has in his lungs/throat has lessen or become softer.. I just wish he'd just expel it and get over it. And I gave him another finger tip of syrup, which this time he didn't accept as readly as last night (and it's cherry bubble gum flavor! :rolleyes: ) He is full of energy, just ate his breakfast. Not a trace of letargy. Even while coughing he kept bringing us the ball or various toys!

I hope it's just a cold and that he gets to feeling better. If he doesn't improve further by this afternoon, on to the vet we'll go.

Advice from my vet is to not give Ibuprofen to dogs. IF they need something- Ascriptin- a coated aspirin in small doses under veterinary supervision is best. Milk, fwiw can INCREASE phlegm production so it is best to stay away from it. I would take him in for a check-up this afternoon if he continues to cough. Better safe than sorry.

Julie

Ouzo's started coughing yesterday afternoon. It had been raining and Chris took him out at lunch and Ouzo played in the puddles at the dog run, then at 5.30 when I came home from work, he was already coughing. I took him out again and he splashed in the accumulated cold rain water for a little while. I didn't think much of it until later in the evening, when he started making sounds as if he's about to spit a hairball (not that I've ever seen a cat do that, mind you, but that's how I would sound if I had a hair stuck in the back of my throat).

It got much worse when I went to bed, he was almost choking while trying to expell an unseen something by coughing. I thought "heartworms"! :D But he's on Heartguard for two months now (my vet doesn't prescribe it during winter months, but he had a blood test this spring before starting again on Heartguard), so that cannot be it... I thought "cold".

Gave him some milk, which did some good, I think his throat was dry from all the coughing. Later we gave him 1/4 of ibuprofen pill, then out of desperation, I found some Children's ElixSure Cough Syrup (Dextromethorphan HBr) and put a bit of it on my finger and let him lick it. Not sure which one did the trick, but his cough got better in a matter of minutes. Probably the cough syrup. He had another burst of coughing at 4 AM, I gave him a bit more syrup on my finger. The dosage says for childredn 2-6, who weight 24-47 lb (he's 45 lb) - 1 tablespoon. What I gave him on my finger was probably 1/8 of tablespoon. And we had a quiet rest of the night.

This morning he sounds better, as if the phlegm he has in his lungs/throat has lessen or become softer.. I just wish he'd just expel it and get over it. And I gave him another finger tip of syrup, which this time he didn't accept as readly as last night (and it's cherry bubble gum flavor! :rolleyes: ) He is full of energy, just ate his breakfast. Not a trace of letargy.

I hope it's just a cold and that he gets to feeling better. If he doesn't improve further by this afternoon, on to the vet we'll go.

Anda,

Julie's right--ibuprofen can cause gastrointestinal ulcers and bleeding, as well as kidney failure. You probably don't have to worry about a single dose causing a problem, but be aware that neither ibuprofen nor acetominophen are considered safe for dogs. There is some disagreement over whether enteric-coated or buffered aspirin is better. I use buffered aspirin as I have been told that because of the dog's short, fast moving GI tract, the coating on enteric-coated aspirin isn't removed in time for the aspirin to be absorbed.

At any rate, plain cough syrup (no painkiller added) is probably safe, but if ever you have a concern about what human meds are safe for dogs, call your vet or at least do an Internet search for toxic substances for dogs.

I hope Ouzo is feeling better.

J.

Kennel cough, anyone?

anna

Julie and Julie: I am not found of giving him ibuprofen, but remember, Ouzo was the dog that ate a bunch of aspirin last year and caused me panic and emergency vet visit in the middle of the night, so I just didn't want to give him aspirin anymore. Therefore the minuscule emergency dose last night of a quarter of a pill.

Anna: I thought about that myself... I've never seen it on a dog, so I wouldn't know how to recognize it. He's up to date with his shots, including Bordetella, but as I read on this forum last night, there is no guaranty that the vaccine is 100% effective for all strands of "kennel cough". I know it's an airborne transmissible disease, so he could have gotten it from anywhere. Last time he was at a dog park was at least a month ago. But there are dogs everywhere here and he could have just "sniffed" the bug in.... Is the treatment for kennel cough antibiotics?

Edited to Add: Actually, I don't think he was given Bordetella in February, as on the reminder I had from the vet they listed corona, dist hep para parvo and rabies, with a special note about Bordetella, that it's recomended for dogs who will be boarded during summer. I don't think he got the shot for that on our last vet visit.............

Kennel cough was my first thought as well as it can really run rampant even if Ouzo was never in a kennel...dog parks, vet clinics, any place where there may have been a new dog. Just about every dog who comes out of our kill facility has kennel cough.

A call to the vet is in order in my opinion but don't go in unless they tell you to as many vets just like kennel cough to run its course unless there are complications. They can give you some cough suppressent though (Tussigon)....and in the interim I've found that a tablespoon of honey is very soothing. Most puppies also like it. :rolleyes:

I've also used the alchohol free Rubitusson but most times they just coughed it back up.

As for the iboprofen...my husband made that mistake once with our Chow and she ended up with severe gastric problems for almost 4 days. Not all dogs are that severely affected so hopefully Ouzo has a tougher tummy.

Good luck!

Maria

PS: Tonsilitis (sp) can also cause coughing but it's usually a dry hacking cough.

Willow had kennel cough when I adopted her. I gave her honey and that helped to calm her coughing down. It coats the throat and is soothing in general.

Sounded like KC to me, too. When Alex had it, it sounded like he had something stuck in his throat (poor DH was convinced he was choking!). Antibiotics are not usually prescribed, unless there's a secondary infection. Some vets will give cough medicine, but mostly you've just got to let it run it's course. Alex got antibiotics, because he had an infection also, which cleared up right away. The cough lingered for a few weeks, though.

Sorry to hear that Ouzo isn't feeling too well! My old GSD/Rough Collie came down with Kennel Cough (and it sounds like that is a good possibility for poor Ouzo) and the vet did have us give him cough suppressant (Dextromethorphan) like plain old Robitussin, not with any other additives. You might want to check with your vet for dosage. It definitely helped. The KC took a good week or so to run its course. The vet also had us limit the exercise (sure :rolleyes:) and to use a humidifier.

Hope he's feeling better soon.

I recently had a bout of kennel cough spread through my place, and my vet recommended Robitussin DM. A friend of mine brought me over the generic version -- Tussin DM -- and it worked like a charm. They sell it in clear now, too.

Jodi

Thank you, guys, for all your replies and nice words!

He's doing much better this evening, so we will postpone the vet visit until tomorrow, if still needed. He coughed again when Chris took him outside, a combination of cold & wet weather (still raining here) and Ouzo doing his best sled dog impersonation with his leash :rolleyes: He slept like a baby throught the day, with almost no coughing (Chris was home with him). I'll get him some Robitussin (the stuff I gave him earlier was the very last drop in a bottle) and honey and lots of TLC. Sounds like KC is something that needs to be let to run its course, unless they're complications..

Despite his cough, he's all a big smile and keeps throwing toys at us to play with him! :D

P.S. Chris just told Ouzo in a very serious tone: "You see, that's what you get for going outside bare foot, you get a cold! Next time you better put your shoes on!" I started laughing :D

I know you're nowhere near me, but in my part of the country (central and southeastern PA, northern MD/VA) Kennel Cough is running rampant this spring. I know it was passed at a seminar and several agility trials recently, including an outdoor one. . .

I'm planning to vaccinate before my next trial.

After Solo's recent experience, I'm afraid to give NSAIDs of any kind to any of my dogs. Metacam made his guts bleed for about four days. Luckily his kidney and liver values came back OK but I'm still paranoid and want to have them checked again in a couple of months.

Solo has had coated aspirins and tolerated them fine. Have to admit it's not what I would think to give him if he had a cough though.

Kennel cough would be my guess, none of my dogs have ever had it but I know it often doesn't have any symptoms but a cough - no lethargy, stomach upset, etc.

If it is a really persistent cough I'd probably take the dog to the vet for peace of mind, to make sure it's just kennel cough and not an infection or something in the lungs.

So far this evening he only coughed twice, and now he's laying at my feet, sleeping peacefully, probably dreaming of bunnies :rolleyes: . I gave him some honey (had to go buy some, since I didn't have any), and he liked it, of course. I so hope he's over this cough in the next few days!

Both my rescues had it when I brought them home. Yes, it kinda sounds like a persistent hairball kinda cough. Usually no other symptoms if I remember right. We had a few weeks of antibiotics, had a cough suppressant pill option, (but I'm a firm believer if you have a productive cough, phlegm etc., don't stop the cough). (Except if it's EXTREMELY persistant at night and then it's time for your baby to get some sleep.) Boordatella vaccine is actually out here given as an elixer thru the nose. I'd still take him to the vet to get checked out. Hang in there Ouzo!!

I think we're over it. YAY! Thanks everyone for the valuable advice and get well wishes!

For the last three days he's only caughed occasionaly, only when getting too excited: i.e. me coming home from work, pulling on the leash too much outside and not being able to get to Stu the bunny.... and that's about it. I've been giving him honey and once or twice another finger tip of non-drip syrup.

Note to self: vivid pink syrup doesn't go well with a white headed dog... makes him look a bit girly-punk :rolleyes:

Note to self: vivid pink syrup doesn't go well with a white headed dog... makes him look a bit girly-punk :D

LMAO!!! That's why, when I talked about the generic form of Robitussin, I mentioned ...

They sell it in clear now, too.

I have one of those white-headed boys, too. Pink is not his most flattering color.

:rolleyes:

Jodi