BC Boards

Imagine this: (dog brag)

Nik

I was taking a walk w/ Hubby and dogs a few days ago on our usual route and we passed by a new house that now has a family in it. The family is out doing yardwork w/ an Aussie mix on a chain. DH and Pache are ahead of me and pass by w/ only a little barking from the Aussie mix. I get up there to the house and I hear the lady in the yard yell "Anhhh..don't you do it..." then I see this huge yellow thing (imagine Hooch in slow motion on TV) coming straight for me and Navi. First of all, I had NO idea that there was even a second dog, much less off leash. I asked if he bites and was told no but he will jump on you and the whole time the lady was running trying to catch up to him. I stood my ground and braced myself and when the dog got to us he stopped and greeted Navi. Everything was fine. Navi behaved himself perfectly.

We stopped and talked to each other for a few minutes while the dogs got to know each other. Come to find out it was a lab that is only 8 mths old. This dog was HUGE!! and he's still growing. When we went on our merry way, DH was waiting for me patiently w/ Pache to catch up. As we walked away, we heard the lady tell her dog "Now see that's how a well behaved dog is supposed to act." I just had to smile. For months it just seems like we're at a stand still as far as behavior goes, but that made me realize that progress is moving faster than I thought. I seem to be overcoming my fears and anxieties when it comes to my dogs. I tend not to panic on the outside as much as I used to. (On the inside though, its a different story). Maybe they are feeling more secure w/ me that they don't have to be as fearful as they were.

Nik,

There was an article in the most recent Whole Dog Journal that was all about remembering and recognizing the progress you've made in training. The premis was basically that when our dogs have come such a long way we tend to forget just how much they really have progressed. I think you recognized that the other day on your walk. Good for you (and the dogs)!

J.