BC Boards

I'd be interested to know what the "puppy test" is. I found it referenced on the main page of this site, probably under breeders, breeding, et al. Is there such a thing? Do you rely on it? How do you "test" puppies? What specifically do you do? How do you "test" dogs of any age? What are you looking for? This is related to the "what is soundess" post, but I'm not sure what "Boards" category this new topic belongs to.

The puppy test I know is made up of mini tests and is usually done when the puppies are 6 weeks old. Each puppy is tested individually.

The mini tests evaluate the puppy's reaction to loud noises, sudden visual stimulus, pain, and restraint. They also test to see how people oriented the puppy is and how willing the puppy is to interact with people. Each result is ranked by number and there are no "good" or "bad" puppies - the tests are just a measure of the pup's temperament, trainability, and reactiveness.

I know of no scientific study on this test so I can't say how effective it is in predicting what the adult dog will be. But I puppy tested Oscar's (my springer) litter and he has certainly shown some of the traits his puppy test indicated! :rolleyes:

Here's a link to this test. Here's another link. If you do a internet search on "puppy aptitude test" you should find lots of info.

The puppy test I know is made up of mini tests and is usually done when the puppies are 6 weeks old. Each puppy is tested individually.

The mini tests evaluate the puppy's reaction to loud noises, sudden visual stimulus, pain, and restraint. They also test to see how people oriented the puppy is and how willing the puppy is to interact with people. Each result is ranked by number and there are no "good" or "bad" puppies - the tests are just a measure of the pup's temperament, trainability, and reactiveness.

I know of no scientific study on this test so I can't say how effective it is in predicting what the adult dog will be. But I puppy tested Oscar's (my springer) litter and he has certainly shown some of the traits his puppy test indicated! :rolleyes:

Here's a link to this test. Here's another link. If you do a internet search on "puppy aptitude test" you should find lots of info.

Hi Mickey Dogs:

Thanks! (We won't tell Bill F. that I actually read the lists. :D Anyway, 'looks like it can give SOME indication of a puppy's inclinations at least.)