BC Boards

Something happened today that has got me worried!!

OK...first things first, I KNOW that both my dogs have issues. Especially Pache. It's something that I have decided to work on and live w/ till death do us part and accept them both for who they are even if it never gets any better.

Today Pache woke up w/ an *off* day. I fed both and Pache decided he wanted Navi's bowl. Before I could get to him to stop him, Navi decided he wasn't going to give it up and a fight broke out in the blink of an eye. (I feed them at the same time but spaced apart from one another.) Got the fight busted up and Pache decided he was going to be a PITB so I separated them for a lil while. After they settled, they made up and things were hunky dory for the most part.

We were out back playing in the fish pond, when (who I thought was my mother) my neighbor came through the back gate unannounced looking for me. This really got to me to begin w/ because everyone around us pretty much knows not to go into the fence w/o being invited first because of the dogs. (Fear issues, dominance issues, just being plain butthole issues, etc.) This is their part of the yard so to speak and they don't like strangers coming around unless they are attended by one of us. Both dogs started running toward him barking and I told him to be still until I could get their to let them know he was O.K. He stayed still except for his hands. Pache jumped up on him just as I was about to reach him. I asked my neighbor if he hurt him and he told me "No he just nipped at me but didn't hurt or draw blood". I looked at the spot and he didn't even leave a scratch that I could see. BUT no matter what, I don't want my dogs to approach strangers like that.

There's only been a couple of encounters where people have came up to my dogs w/o my presence or my hubbys so it hasn't been that big of a deal. Something like this has happened only one other time and it was w/ my uncle who Pache cannot stand for some reason. (I don't know if its because he's done something to him that I don't know about or if he just senses something about him that he doesn't trust)

I know its something that I'm not understanding or not doing but I can't put my finger on why they are like this. The only other thing that comes to mind when he's reacted like this is Pache was first to make it to the person, smell, etc. and then Navi makes his appearance and it sets Pache off.

I can honestly say that Pache shows fear of most men on some level, except for the ones who live in our home (i.e. my dad, hubby and our boys) but I don't know why he is afraid of men. We've raised them from puppies and I'm the only other female other than my mom that he is constantly around.

The more of the bits and pieces I learn of Melanie and Solo the more I see in Pache and have resigned myself that if this is how he is I can live w/ that. The problem lies w/ getting the others to respect what I'm trying to do to keep the dogs and strangers and/or company safe. But I can't annilate them from everyone that comes to my house either. Giving one or the other up is not an option unless it ever comes to a point that one of my kids become endangered. But I TOTALLY feel comfortable that that won't happen as the kids are part of their pack and I supervise all contact between kids and dogs.

Anyone have any ideas what I'm missing and what can be done? Right now I'm at a total loss!

P.S. Since we've gotten the privacy fence up rarely ever get into anything more than minor disagreements. This is the first major incidence between the two of them that wasn't started by the neighbors dog coming over instigating.

There are 3 gates total. One on the left side of the front of the fence, another on the right side of the front and a double gate to get mowers, etc. in on the side of the fence. I had a lock on that one but nobody is responsible enough to put the locks back when they open them. (Thats a whole other story there!! :rolleyes: ) I thought about posting a sign, but then that comes back to liability issues of "Well you know you have a dangerous dog" like some of the other topics that have been discussed before. I'm kind of leary about that because they aren't what I would call "bad dogs". Although that is a great idea if I could enforce EVERYONE here to stick to it.

Well I don't know how to help other than to say always supervise the dogs and separate and confine them when you can't.

Re: the sign - My parents' have a sign on all gates to the yard that says "Dogs Playing, please do not open gate" or something to that effect and the gates are bungeed shut. The sign says nothing to indicate dangerous dogs and yet makes it clear that anyone seeking entrance should think again. May be that might help in your situation?

Maybe if you work a bit on a really solid recall with the dogs under all kinds of distracting situations? Also, stay, drop, etc.? That way, you'd have a better chance of keeping the dogs and outside people apart until you are in control of the situation. Personally, I often find it much easier to change my dogs' behavior than other people's

I will try the sign thing and see if it makes it better.

Good news yesterday though. We had someone that the family knows but the dogs have never met before stop by. My dad didn't know the dogs were out and was just about to bring him around to the back of the house where the addition is going (he's helping us figure out the best plan for the roof). I stopped him just in time and let the dogs inside while the men went into the back. My son let them outside while not knowing what the deal was and they were absolutely fine w/ this guy. (I figured he would be the one that would end up being a disaster). He even came inside yesterday evening while the dogs were not crated and it was like there was nobody even here.

So thats got me thinking that it could just be that they don't like it when people come through the gate they don't know very well, but if they go outside while someone is already out there its ok to them?!?!

Like I said, Pache has issues and hasn't been having a very good last couple of days. It's more him than Navi I think. But he's still a work in progress.

Thanx for the obvious but not so obvious sign idea!!

This reminds me of a sign I saw on the Hebridean island of Islay:

"Chasing cows will be our fate

If you do not shut this gate"

Change "cows" to "dogs" and not only might you have an effective sign that doesn't imply that the dogs are dangerous, you'll give the neighbours a laugh, as well.

Snorri

?

:rolleyes: