BC Boards

Too good with puppies?!

Everyone seems to complain lately how their dogs are not good with other dogs, other puppies, even kids. Not mine (knock on wood).

But is there such thing as being too good with puppies? Nooo, not what you're thinking about (bad, bad you!). Just being too permisive with them, allowing them a bit "too much", at least according to human terms?

We met yesterday the brand new adopted puppy of a co-worker, a 3 months old lab mix (she's saying Irish setter is the other half :rolleyes: , I'd say maybe some cute pitbull instead, no freakin' way is the lil' guy related in any way to an Irish (or Gordon, or any other kind of ) setter.

Anyway, I digress.

So he's a fisty lil' thing, normal 3 months old shark with teeth attached to a puppy. And his owner was hoping Ouzo would "teach him some good manners", meaning snarl at him to put Jacob (the puppy) in his place. Lil' guy was biting everyone, playfuly, but especially Ouzo, since he was the one with the toys. It took A LOT of effort and imagination and biting from Jacob to finaly get Ouzo to show some teeth and make Jacob back away.

For the most part Ouzo decided Jacob was wearing an invisible cape so he didn't pay almost any attention to the toothy puppy: there were balls to play with, people to sniff, etc. A couple of times Jacob managed to pull mouthfull of hairs from Ouzo's neck, without any reaction from my guy's part. He even tried to bite his tongue (83 F, so the tongues were hanging loose). He even tried to hump Ouzo's head while he was laying down in the shade! All Ouzo did was get up and lay down somewhere else, to avoid the puppy-love :D .

Jacob

IMG_0227.jpg

Jacob grabbing Ouzo by the neck

IMG_0272.jpg

Hmmm... ouch!

IMG_0273.jpg

Incomming!

IMG_0291_1.jpg

And back to being an angel...

IMG_0252.jpg

I was proud of Ouzo for not biting or terorizing the puppy, but I was almost wishing he would not just take it "in the chin" like that! He's not a wus, but I guess he understood this lil' black blob of a dog was not a "real" dog, so he decided not to corect him until things were getting REALY out of control.

So... anyone else has dogs who allow puppies to do "almost" whatever they want? I've heard of the "puppy permit" which expires around 4-5 months of age, would this be the case? Just curious...

P.S. I have better pics of Ouzo (where he's not getting harressed :D ), but I'll post them in the next few days - been holding out successfully on the spam!

Poor Ouzo!!

The Puppy Permit mainly (usually) keeps adult dogs from fighting with pups, but older dogs will still most certainly growl/snarl/show teeth and snap at pups. And the pups need it. For example, do you recall the picture of Dazzle being mean at the Aussie pup? She showed all kinds of protest, but she wouldn't (no matter what, and that pup tried everything) full out attack or bite him.

That aussie pup's older brother however, acts like Ouzo - not like Dazzle. He just takes it. So it probably just varies from dog to dog.

That is what I was expecting Ouzo would do: snarl and teach the puppy his place. Even the puppy's owner was hoping for this type of reaction. He eventualy did it, but not until he just couldn't stand Jacob. Everyone was cheering for Ouzo when he got his teeth out and snapped once towards Jacob!

Ouzo never got the snarlin' treatment as a pup from an older dog (well, not after 8 weeks of age, anyway, when he joined our family). Maybe it's something they learn from adult dogs? Or it might just be their personality... Don't know...

He certaintly wouldn't take this kind of behaviour from an adult dog, his hair would raise on his back, but again, no bitting. (which is the way I want to keep it, of course!).

Like Ouzo, Daisy, in true border collie fashion, is much more interested in the play than putting puppy in his place. Here is a video (awful camera work, sorry) in my little backyard, where you can see that all Daisy wants to do is catch her toy, all Tundra wants to do is show she's the boss of Daisy, and all the 2-month-old spotted puppy Sunny wants to do is steal the toy and get Daisy's attention. Dogs have so much individuality! It ended up being Tundra who gave the puppy behavior lessons rather than Daisy, and she did do a good job of it.

Here's Tundra giving puppy lessons, which Sunny couldn't get enough of. Note he's still leaping up and nipping at her after being rolled on his back many times!

ETA: Ouzo pictures are NOT spam! Me loves 'em.

When we first got Tiga, he was only about 3 months old. We have a friend who has a full grown rottie, she was 3 or 4 years old at the time. I was a little scared to let them play at first because of the size difference, but Rowan was sooo good with Tiga. We thought a bit too good. She just let him do whatever he wanted to. She would roll over and submiss to him and let him crawl all over her and nip at her. She never once bared her teeth or snarled. If he got out of hand, she would just put one of her paws over him so he couldn't get up. It was quite a thing to see. Good to hear that Ouzo was good with the puppy but knew his limits.

The first video is so typical of what Ouzo would do when he's realy into his toy (ball, mostly). Like Daisy, he would just move out of the way of the roudy dogs, so he could better focus on the object of his attention. Guess he's no teacher matterial :rolleyes: If someone's bad behaved, then, well, it's not his job to teach them the correct behaviour, he's got more important things to do, like balls.... :D

Gwad, this pitbull puppy looks a awful lot like MY BC puppy! LOL Sounds like her too! :rolleyes: Cute, cute, cute!

I can hardly wait for her puppy permit to go "bye bye" though.

Don't worry about Ouzo! We have a BC that will let puppies drag her around the back yard by her ruff while on her back, playing dead. :D

Katelynn

It may be an age thing.

My dog will tolerate almost ANYTHING from puppies until they're about 6 months or so. But after that, he has this incredibly intense need to put adolescents in their place. He's completely intolerant of anything "in your face" dogs do between the ages of about 6 months and 12 - 18 months. He will pin them to tell them "NO!" Perhaps not remarkably, he only ever has to do this a couple of times per dog, and they learn to give him a 5-foot radius of personal space. :rolleyes:

After that, we all get along fine. Buddy will even play rolling tumbling wrestling with the young dogs, as long as they know boundaries.

Mary

Here's Tundra giving puppy lessons, which Sunny couldn't get enough of. Note he's still leaping up and nipping at her after being rolled on his back many times!

ETA: Ouzo pictures are NOT spam! Me loves 'em.

I have not seen that before in dogs so enjoyed viewing that video. (I have only had one dog, will be getting two some time though). :D It is nice to see what is normal doggie behaviour.

Anda - I love your Ouzo pic's too :rolleyes:

Holly has just met her first puppy since she has been an Adult. I was not sure how she would react as it is a Westie about 12weeks old. It jumped all over her and she backed away then kept going back to it. No snarling or anything she just let it do it's thing. I was very pleased with Holly she laid down then in front of it. It loved her and jumped up her doing little excitable barks. Anyway don't know how she will be next time but like Ouzo she hasn't had any adult dog do anything to her so maybe that makes a difference, i don't know. :D

I don't want a submissive to all Holly i surpose but was pleased she was so good. :D

I wonder if it's that Ouzo is male. Normally, it would be the female that first disciplines the pup, wouldn't it.

We got Fergie when she was 10-11 weeks old. The house behind us had an adult lab, the one next to that, an adult rottie. Both males. Those two big boys let Fergie get away with murder! She loved them and idolized them (one reason she was spayed at 5 months - biggest flirt since our second daughter). But she nipped their ears and tail, jumped on them, and totally harassed them. And they let her. And they never decided she was old enough to scold.

BTW, the lab's family moved; the rottie got a new family. He was originally gotten by the family's adult son, who then had job conflicts that meant he couldn't care for Barkley. The parents had always had dogs, but took Barkley because he needed them. They were certainly good to him, but they were a bit too old for such a dog. One day they were at the vet for Barkley's check-up and saw a couple crying. The vet told them the couple's rottie had just died and they were heartbroken. So the folks let them play with Barkley. A few days later, the vet called and asked if, since they had not actually wanted Barkley, they might be willing to let the couple adopt him. Several visits back and forth. And Barkley found a new home, with young people who really wanted him and had the time and energy for him.

That is one cuuuuute puppy! (Katelynn, since you brought it up...where are some new pics of your puppy?)

I think some dogs are just naturally more tolerant of puppies (or other dogs in general). My Jack still lets 9 month old Alex hang off of his neck, ears, back, wherever he happens to latch on. :rolleyes: But, Lilly, OTOH, won't put up with that crap. So, it's just a matter of personalities in my house.

Recon puts up with a -lot- from puppies. Especially Eilidh. I have a video of Eilidh basically attacking Recon's face and Recon is just sitting there, taking it. Probably wishing Eilidh would just stop so she could nap.

Apparently Eilidh's puppy license is still in effect because Eilidh was able to sit on Recon's head all weekend, bite her face, chew on her tail, steal toys... Recon did snap at her once, but it was definitely a "meant to look ferocious and teach a lesson but not hurt her" kind of thing and it happened when Eilidh had gotten so worked up that she was biting pretty hard. After that, she went back to the playful biting that isn't quite so bad.

I do sometimes wish that Recon wouldn't just take it, but I figure she knows dogs better than I know dogs, so I let it go. As long as no one is getting hurt, anyway.