BC Boards

I like the whole chip idea but.....

I like the micro chip idea but its still not good enough, I was reading in our paper today and these people lost there lab border collie mixed dog a few days ago and its been in their family over 9 years and they cant find him. They need to put like a gps thing (not sure what its called) A thing where it shows where the dog is. Like put it there and it wont be activated tell he gets lost and then u can get online or pund or vet and it will show where your dog is, I think thats what it should do casue a chip wont do alot of things, if someone takes your dog and u cant find him and even though he is chipped it doesnt matter untill u see him and tell them to check the dog. Im still gonna get Zipper chipped but i wish it was more :rolleyes:

if you really want to I'm sure that you might be able to find some sort of GPS unit to put on your pup. maybe there is a hikers on that is pretty small and can go on a collar....

That's what my thinking was when Jackson came up missing in miles and miles of woods. If you check the thread about collars and tags, someone, I believe Bill or Mark posted a link to a website that had GPS collars for dogs. The cheapest was $500 I believe, but worth it to me. So, I am saving up $1000. Skip and Jackson are the only ones fast enough to get away from me!

yea i want something like that but like if someone takes your dog they could take that off and then your outta luck if they throw it away or sometihng else you know but it can also help but if it was on the chip they couldnt take it off and all but i might be buying me sometihng like that

Now being serious...

I have the same problem with the whole chip thing. There are still too few readers, almost no vet clinic have one so it is a huge inversion for little benefit. I'm managing to get the dogs of my SAR group micro-chipped for free, then I'll be very glad to do, but to pay US$50 doesn't worth it yet.

The GpF( : ) sound yet like a great idea (but far too expensive for my budget) if we are supposing your dog doesn't wander alone and unsupervised and he is not being stolen, the you can track it if by accident it goes away of your view and seems that if the dog go away of an area, then the device alert you, which can be very useful by example to farm people who never can rely 100% on their fences

I've seen GPS working on SAR dogs (or people demonstrating them and trying to sell them to us) in Spain, but the operative use is controversial as you never really loose contact with your dog, a domestic use could be a better choice.