BC Boards

BC Pup Behavior

Apollo is my 2nd BC and at 10 weeks has very strong herding instincts which translates into nipping and pinching everyone's pants legs and shoes. We scold him for this as well as give him tons of different chew bones, toys, etc. I have faith that he will eventually grow out of it but until then I have bruises all over my legs and arms and look like a battered woman. It is from pinching rather than biting. Any other suggestions on how to curb the behavior? He gets so over excited to the point that it is hard to correct him because he is moving so fast (like a toddler). And just like a child - this 'wild' behavior usually happens just before he 'crashes' which is just like an over tired child. I have had people suggest putting him on his back when he won't stop to establish dominance or hold his mouth shut for a second. Tried both but he is usually so wound up that it doesn't phase him. So eventually I just put him in 'timeout' which is out on the back deck. He hates to be away from people so it is definitely a punishment.

Just looking for any other suggestions. I saw the suggestion of frozen rags which sounds good (and cheap).

My 4 yo BC Hailey went through the typical puppy biting but I don't remember it being so manic and definitely didn't include biting pant, shoes.

Lisa

Our Ed's a nipper too. I'll go to stroke his head or play and he will try to nip. Walking can also be troublesome! We too have also tried to hold his mouth closed and this turns him into a big ball o crazy. Now, everytime he tries to bite/nip we instantly say "No biting!" in quite a harsh tone and put hands behind our backs until he behaves. If this doesn't work we stand up, turn our back on him and ignore...after giving the no bite command. As for the trouser leg pulling whilst walking I generally play it by ear. If he does it after play or training it's because he's still hyped so 'No' command followed by distraction works quite well.

Only a month ago I was convinced Ed was just a bully :rolleyes: but he just needed to know what I wanted.

That's not herding, it's just plain old rude. If he's that way because he's overtired and overstimulated it's your job to put him up until he's able to handle the training. And prevent it from happening again.

If he did the behaviors you described to another dog he'd be on his back and squealing at their response. I *don't* find this an effective human correction but I think you *do* need to understand that it's not herding, and not even his own kind would put up with it. The other puppies in the litter would squeal bloody murder if he did it to them, and refuse to play any further with him until later when he was nicer. This, you can do!

Honestly there a lots of ways to deal with this, and for myself I've found a good stout low toned "NO", coupled with cessation of the "fun" target (stop walking, stop moving, stop flapping your arms and screeching etc) and if necessary take him by the collar and give a wee shake (WEE, not a neck snapper, just enough to get his attention) to straighten him out. You can also "fake" trip over him, shoving and stumbling with your feet hard enough to make him think that you have to watch those clumsy humans because when you try to play with their legs they fall all over. Again the goal it not to hurt, but to teach him through trial and error that some behaviors don't work the way you want.

Get him some good raw bones to chew on - beef knuckles are great. Let him vent some energy and puppy teething on that.

Start handling exercises now. Gently start insisting he be held still in your lap, on a table, on the floor while you examine him. If he mouths just press you fingers down on the base of his tongue. Its unpleasent but not painful and he will go "blah" and spit out your fingers - then you can reward! Start with short sessions and work up to more time, always only releasing him when he's relaxed and nice. Lie him down on the floor and *gently* role him on his side (not his back, we are not alpha rolling or dominating, we are training) and gently but firmly stroke and pet him for this.

It will take time, but it's doable. Just remember not to give in to temper, be pleasant and fun but *firm*. If you see him do anything that frightens you please seek professional help.

Apollo is my 2nd BC and at 10 weeks has very strong herding instincts which translates into nipping and pinching everyone's pants legs and shoes. We scold him for this as well as give him tons of different chew bones, toys, etc. I have faith that he will eventually grow out of it but until then I have bruises all over my legs and arms and look like a battered woman. It is from pinching rather than biting. Any other suggestions on how to curb the behavior? He gets so over excited to the point that it is hard to correct him because he is moving so fast (like a toddler). And just like a child - this 'wild' behavior usually happens just before he 'crashes' which is just like an over tired child. I have had people suggest putting him on his back when he won't stop to establish dominance or hold his mouth shut for a second. Tried both but he is usually so wound up that it doesn't phase him. So eventually I just put him in 'timeout' which is out on the back deck. He hates to be away from people so it is definitely a punishment.

Just looking for any other suggestions. I saw the suggestion of frozen rags which sounds good (and cheap).

My 4 yo BC Hailey went through the typical puppy biting but I don't remember it being so manic and definitely didn't include biting pant, shoes.

Lisa

Thank you for your suggestions.

The putting the pup on its back idea was taught in an pup obedience class (we a previous dog we had). I also watch the Dog Whisperer and I have seen him put a dog on it's side - but not its back. It worked with the previous dog to calm her but not with Apollo who just stays agitated.

I can usually deal with Apollo's behavior with a firm 'no' or distracting him things he can chew on. The worst though is when he is trying to get my attention when I am on the phone. I have a hard time correcting him with 1 hand so there are times he has chased me up onto my couch. It sounds bad but it is just me not wanting to disrupt my call to scold him.

Yes, I definitely watch for signs of pure aggression with my pup. Our previous dog had serious neurological problems that caused her to be very dog and food aggressive - not to mention that she would growl spontaneously when noone was near her. We eventually had to get rid of her after she attacked a Basset puppy causing stitches and bit several family members. I can tell Apollo's behavior is rambunctous rude pup behaviour. I just want to deal with it 'head on' so that he doesn't get more spoiled and set in his ways.

:D Hi Lisa

Holly was a nipper when she was that age, we used to say no and distract her with a toy she could bite.

We had child gates at the room and kitchen doors so we could put her in the hallway in our house for time out. This is where her cage was although we didn't use to shut her in.

I had cuts and scratches and holes in my clothes through those sharp teeth and was worried slightly she may be an agressive dog but eventually she got out of it and is so gentle now and not a bit agressive.

So in my experience with Holly (she is the only BC i have had) it was a puppy thing and with time she got out of it. We gave her nylabone keys to chew on and when she used to bite we would shake them so they seemed more fun to nibble on.

Holly used to go for your trouser legs too especially if they were the bootcut type. Actually she was a little monster sometimes. :rolleyes:

Anyway i am sure you just have an energetic little puppy and he will get over it with time.

Just wanted to say that Holly was quite a biter and after she was about 5/6moths she changed. Mind you then it was adolescence!!!lol :D