BC Boards

What would you choose? and why?

Here's a question for all those with working dogs - if you had a choice between a pup, or a young adult who looked promising, which one whould you choose? And why?

I'm a little torn, I like, really like the fact that the adult seems to have most of the characteristics that I'm looking for. And I could start working with him right away. But on the other hand, I'd kinda like a pup. Mostly because I've never raised one. And they're CUTE (all those recent pictures have been a bad influence on me :rolleyes: ).

The other issue is Missy, who can be a little quirky when it comes to other dogs. She wants her space to begin with, or can get snarky. The other dogs she has been around are either goofy (she gets snarky) or aloof. The only dog I've ever seen her play with was a puppy, and that was just this past summer (I've had her 4 yrs). I'm sure I could meet the other dog before I decide, but he's a 4-5 hr drive away. So I really want to figure out all the pros and cons ahead of time.

So what kind of advice can you give me?

This is a hard one to answer because it very much depends on each person's situation. Plus, by working I am assuming you are talking about working stock?

I do agility but had this debate last summer before I got Quinn. Like you, I had a lot of factors I was looking at. In addition to wanting a drivey dog, I didn't want one of those "crazy" BC's you hear about. The biggest factor was considering what would work best for and with my current dogs. They each had some specific needs. I eventually decided that I needed to go the puppy route for the best chance of all the dogs getting along. I'm not actually a big fan of raising puppies, though I like knowing that they are being raised as I prefer.

For my next dog, I plan to get a adolescent or young adult from rescue, if at all possible. There are just so many wonderful dogs out there in need of homes. I plan to put in a lot of time looking for the right dog, making sure to have health checks done(if the Rescue will allow me, otherwise, I probably will need to go back to a breeder). The nice thing about getting an older dog is you have a much better idea of the "finished product." Puppies are always a gamble to various degrees.

However, I can't regret Quinn. He is everything I could hope for in my first BC and he is why I want another one down the road. I'm just hoping that rescue will offer a dog that everything I could hope for in my second BC.

I'm sure I could meet the other dog before I decide, but he's a 4-5 hr drive away.
I figure that, if you are looking at a lifetime commitment, one day's driving to meet the dog is a small thing. My daughter and I drove over six hours each way to meet a dog that she was interested in for adoption and, it wasn't until we got there that we realized he wasn't the dog for her, although he was lovely.

I had the chance when I got my pup recently to save a trip of over five hours each way by having someone bring him to a trial where I was a volunteer (seven hours in a different direction). I went to pick up Bute myself at his "home farm" because I wanted to meet him on territory he was comfortable with and, if I didn't think it would work on meeting him, I didn't have to take him.

Both of these examples were well worth the trip when we were considering a lifetime together, in my opinion.

As for whether a pup or a young dog would work best, that's something you would need to investigate with your present dog. Take a trip and see how she reacts to the young dog before you make a firm decision. You may find you absolutely love him and they get along fine, or that he's not the dog for you or her. It may be best for her to meet him away from her home ground - many dogs do best meeting on "neutral" territory.

Best wishes with whatever you decide, and I hope that youngster finds a great home with you or with someone else. Puppy pix are cute and enticing but that's not the best reason to get a pup, in my opinion. One should get a pup because its breeding makes the likelihood greater that it will be the dog that fills your needs/wants. As has already been said, a pup is an unknown entity (but hopefully predictable if the breeder's done a good job) compared to an older animal that is already demonstrating temperament and behaviors.

In then end, what it comes down to is what is a right fit for you and Missy.

Right now, since I have adult dogs, I would probably choose a pup because I ENJOY training my own dogs. I'm not a wonderful trainer, but can train to the degree of competence I need on our small farm and I find the process interesting. However, I MUST have a dog that works, so at some point I'll probably have to get a started adult dog to replace one of my guys . . .

Kim

Yes, I'm talking about stock work.

I am thinking about going to see him this weekend or next. I just want to think everything over a bit before I take the next step.

Ever since I knew Miss got along with a pup so well, I've been thinking about getting a pup sometime within the next year. But now this guy pops up and I've been shifting gears a bit, wondering if he could be a good option for me. I've never had her around other BCs, so maybe I'll find out that she gets along well with her own breed.

I appreciate the input!