BC Boards

Dazzle picture on E-Bay?

While browsing e-bay, I came acorss the cutest little puppy picture on a mouse-pad.... and I'm pretty sure its our Border Collie Board's own Dazzle?

http://cgi.ebay.com/Mouse-Pad-BORDER-COLLI...1QQcmdZViewItem

Just figured I'd make you aware, Kat. Not sure if this person was given permission to use your pictures?

(Heck, I could be completely wrong and it may be a friend?)

That is definitely Dazzle!(I adore that photo, Kat).

Thank you SOOOOO much for letting me know.

but that is way Not Cool.

Yes, that is my pup - but WHY is she on a mousepad?? :rolleyes:

I am honored that they thought she was cute (come on? Who doesn't? :D) but I don't like that. The thought of someone having my little girl's photo without my knowledge - and buying/selling/making profit off of it!! :D That is way worse than a slideshow.

But what do I do?

OK, so on the bottom of the item there is a "report this item"

Then I hit "Copyright violations" Which one is it from there???? None of them fit for "photos"...

hi Kat,

try contacting the seller to inform her directly of the infringement

and also report to ebay under: COUNTERFEITS AND COPYRIGHT INFRINGEMENT..

then ebay item infringes your intellectual property rights

you will need to download this pdf file

http://pages.ebay.com/help/community/NOCI1.pdf

and fax it to ebay.

:rolleyes:

hope it helps

ETA: print a copy of the product/screen capture as evidence of the infringement too.

this seller looks for images using google images, and then prints them on mouse pads, t-shirts, etc. It's really common right now and I've had a few of those auctions taken down myself. So if you have a website with pics of your dog on it I'd suggest getting some script to protect against people copying or saving the images in high quality to their own computer. if you dont know how to do that let me know.

I emailed the seller directly and told her of the issue and asked (well, OK - told her specifically) to have that item discontinued and removed from the site immediately.

Now, to see if it disappears...

(I already saved a screen-cap of the page)

Yes, it worked!

(THANK YOU Eileen for fixing that by the way!! :rolleyes:)

But, seeing as it is past midnight, and now I am very angry at this seller, I will get to that tomorrow. :D

Guest TheRuffMuttGang

Geez, to think we'll all have to stop posting pictures online to save ourselves this sort of annoyance. Just yesterday someone was busted on Dogster for taking a bunch of other people's photos and listing them as their own pets. One was my Tank and a couple of others were dogs from this board or the bcrescue.org site. It was taken care of promptly though. If I were you, I would not only contact the seller but also report the seller to Ebay.

Its obvious it is still there, no reply yet. But I only sent it at midnight last night.

I will see if I can fax that report for eBay, and if I don't get a response from the seller by tonight I think I will send another. :rolleyes:

She does look nice on a mousepad though doesn't she? I think I will make myself one from Shutterfly! :D I wonder if she has sold any....

That shot of Dazzle was also on her dogster page. So it could have been swiped from here or there. As far as watermarks go, if it's not all the way across the photo in an obnoxious and hard to remove with an editing program way, then there's just no point. Putting one in the corner so we can all still see the nice photo would still have people stealing it.

I do like the idea of having only registered users view the photos, but again, what keeps that person from registering and taking them. I'm sure Eileen is not interesting in approving every new user and trying to figure out their intentions.

It's just sad.

The person who took the picture owns the copyright on the photo. Anyone who uses it without permission is infringing on the copyright. At the very least, I believe that it would be possible to have a C&D (cease and desist) order put on the item. It would likely not be profitable to go after any of the profit that the seller might have made (and I am sort of foggy on whether or not you would be able to--it would seem to me that you should be entitled to a portion of her profit), but you can protect your rights (and Dazzle!)

I thought about asking about any profits made, but decided to just let it go. I didn't know how much I could back that up or how to figure it out.

I did get a reply, I will not post it here but it said that she was sorry and that she came across the picture randomly on the Internet. She found it in a public domain and didn't see a watermark on it (there WAS none because it doesn't NEED one!). She said she would remove the listing immediately. So hopefully, it should disappear really soon.

In my reply to that email, I asked where she found the picture if she remembered, and also gave her this link on copyrights:

http://www.copyright.gov/title17/92chap1.html#102

I gave a quick summery that is basically what you said Vickim: "The person who took the picture owns the copyright on the photo no matter what, blah blah blah". So that hopefully this doesn't happen again. Lastly, I thanked her for her cooperation and understanding. :D

BUT, I will have bookmarked the seller's page and won't be forgetting it - I will check it occasionally just to be sure. *sigh* Dogs are so much nicer than people! :rolleyes:

ETA: I checked and it was still there, but as of now it is gone from the page!

Guest TheRuffMuttGang

She's got a ton of other breeds of dogs too...wonder if those people know that their pictures are being used for profit?

She's got a ton of other breeds of dogs too...wonder if those people know that their pictures are being used for profit?

I saw that too and wondered the same. They are obviously home made pictures, not professional... at least most look that way.