BC Boards

tail docking frisbee dogs

I was at a baseball game and the entertainment was frisbee border collies. There were 5 border collies, 3 had their tails docked. No, they weren't Aussies, I asked and was told some people in serious Frisbee Competition dock border collie tails. Can anyone tell me why?

I have no idea.

Tails help dogs shift their weight before, after, and during a jump (and running, etc), which actually helps prevent back injuries. I have no idea why they would think it helps their dog. I have indeed seen this, though. I have seen it especially in the purpose-bred frisbee mixes (like BC-cattle dog crosses, or aussie crosses).

I don't support docking ANY dogs tail unless it's been injured.

Guest WoobiesMom

That's so ridiculous! Why would they do that?? It's FRISBEE for goodness sake! Sheesh! Somebody should remove their brain since they're not using it! LOL Grrr :rolleyes:

That doesn't make sense.

Dog have tails - dogs use their tails. Especially when we make them do things like jump, twist, turn, vault, etc.

I can't even think of a possible reason for doing that.

Not only does it make no sense regarding how much the tail aids the dog in remaining balanced while jumping and twisting in the air, but I personally consider the BC's tail somewhat a signature of the breed. I've never thought about it before, but after reading this post, I can't picture a BC without one. Some people. :rolleyes:

I can't picture a BC without one. Some people

This is what a dock-tailed BC looks like.

summerfun.jpg

00000022.jpg

Ling is a rescue, and obviously her tail was docked when we got her (she was 10 wks old and found hit by a car on a country road in Western Oregon). I've heard the same thing about working BCs in Eastern Oregon, but never frisbee dogs. It's always made me a little sad that someone did that to her, but she's beautiful anyway, and boy can she get that nub spinning when she's happy. She doesn't seem to have ANY problem with the frisbee, as you can see, but I can't see how it could give an advantage either.

Wow - that looks, excuse me, somewhat odd. Not your dog, at all - Ling is absolutely precious(her eyes are gorgeous, BTW), and certainly doesn't seem to have any problem catching, but the docked tail just seems unatural, whereas it simply looks natural on the Aussie(though I'm guessing it's because I've never seen an Aussie with a long tail. :rolleyes:).

A lot of the farmers in Eastern Oregon do it. I don't know why. None of the trialers do it. The tail is one of the best tools you can use on your dog when working sheep. When the tail goes up, you know the dog's going to dive in. Great tool. Plus, it's great for dusting the coffee table- LOL.

I've seen aussie with tails. They are beautiful, long-haired things that often curl up over the back. Especially striking in tri-colored merles.

I will never purchase a dog whose tail has been docked. Of any breed.

Rescue is a different thing: you're not endorsing it, in that case. I know several BC's who've broken and lost parts of their tails. . .but they still keep what part they have.

I used to have a retriever with a long-coated tail. It's not common practice to dock those and they run through brush and rough terrain. I don't know. Will never make sense to me.

A lot of the farmers in Eastern Oregon do it. I don't know why...

I have been told it's an eastern Washington thing. When I compete with Wick in WA State, people say "She's from Yakima, right? That's why she has the Yakima dock?"

Wick was a stray found near Pasco, WA, and her tail was docked very close. Given her complete disinterest in working livestock, I can't imagine that she came from any kind of working situation so I don't think her tail was docked for that reason.

Anyway, while it's SO FRICKING CUTE when it's wiggling at a hundred miles an hour, I wish she had her full tail. :rolleyes:

wick_tunnel.jpg

Given her complete disinterest in working livestock, I can't imagine that she came from any kind of working situation so I don't think her tail was docked for that reason.

:rolleyes::D :D :D

Maybe Wick and Ling and related because Ling was a failure at livestock as well, and has a very similar approach to agility as it looks like Wick does... fast fast fast and FUN! Her tail looks about the same length too, not as short as most Aussie docks I've seen.

A couple of years ago at a park near my house, I met a woman with a dog who could have been a twin to mine, including docked tail. I asked her about it, and she said she was born that way. She claimed (and seemed very sincere and credible) that the dog was a purebred and was the only one in the litter born with a natural dock. Is that possible or was she misled?

Maybe Wick and Ling and related because Ling was a failure at livestock as well, and has a very similar approach to agility as it looks like Wick does... fast fast fast and FUN!

An aussie handler once related a cute anecdote to me. "Aussies are just as smart as border collies, you know. Except the brain of a stockdog is in the tail and look what we do to aussies!"

She claimed (and seemed very sincere and credible) that the dog was a purebred and was the only one in the litter born with a natural dock. Is that possible or was she misled?

I guess it's possible, I have no idea how that would work. Wick's tail definitely is docked - I've had her x-rayed and the vet said "Yup, that's a dock". Ah well, she is easy to pick out of a crowd. Black and white border collies are a dime a dozen at agility trials, but a docked slickie with one blue eye? There can only be one!

I know an Mix (owner says BC, but I swear that dog must be almost pure Aussie). She has a full tail that curls over her back and has a good amount of fluff on it. Aussies look good with tails.

It seems (just from what I have seen on the web) that a good number of BC/mixes have docked tails in rescue - or natural short tails. Not a huge amount, but you definitely see them! I wonder why that is....

Oh yes, and when we went to eastern WA for a trial - and pleased to report that all but one BC had full tails! :rolleyes:

The docking thing is a running joke in PNW BC Rescue. When someone posts about a dog needing foster care they will emphasize "FULL TAIL" because frankly, it is more difficult to find homes for the docked dogs. A lot of people like tails on their border collies, and adopters will often choose a tailed dog over a non tailed dog.

All of mine are tailed. I don't remember ever feeling like Wick looked strange without hers, but then again when I met her she appeared to have swallowed a Volkswagon and then she delivered a dozen puppies 13 hours later, so I was a bit consumed with that.

RDM

I've bred one litter of working Aussies and left the tails on. I don't have a political agenda, just like tails and don't see the point. It was *extremely* hard to sell those pups even with their good working breeding and parentage because nobody wanted them with tails. One person (whom I turned down) even wanted to know if she could have it done now (at 8 weeks! :rolleyes: ).

Some Aussies are born without tails, or with various lengths. It's a variation of spina bifida - except instead of on the spine on the back and causing problems, it just prematurely shortens the appendage. If you breed for "natural bobs" (as some have tried in areas where docking is not allowed) and cross it excessively into the line you will start to see pups born with an open spine - spina bifida.

Anyway regarding the docking of BCs - mostly I hear from farmers that its because the tail is too much trouble to keep unmatted with burrs/sticks. Mostly excuses for keeping things the way it always was....dad docked dogs...granddad did etc. If it done humanely and young its not offensive to me, just unnecessary.

Frisbee people, as I have experienced, and not the sharpest tools in the shed. I could go on and on but its about as necessary as docking tails.

I had to smile when I read the last post. I'm new to the frisbee sport and really love it...so do the dogs. The disc dog people I know are friendly, common sense, people who truely care for their dog's health' happiness' and welfare. It more about having fun and spending time with your dog.

I had to smile because, as with anything in life, everygroup has those members with a few loose screws. Thankfully, I have not met.

mobcmom

when I was cowboyin in Western CO we used Aussies and we never docked the tails. Maybe it was too much work but they sure looked beautiful and yes we did use the tail movement as a signal back to us. It is such a good barometer of emotion; up, drooping, slightly curled, "dusting the coffee table" Just my 2 cents. Like long hair on well let's not go there!