BC Boards

And yet another BC mix behavior / breed question

Hello:

My dog is a BC mix (please check out her profile in mine for details) and she is a lickity lou lou. Is that a bc trait or not? For example, when we meet greet when I return home from work, it's lickity, lickity for the first minutes--hands & face (i bend down but not for the wash). If in the am, it's "let me wash your hands for you".....It is more intense after separations. I had heard once on Patricia McConnell's radio program that this is a boxer trait. She was also very pawish....I thought that between the crouch and the paws, I had a cat -dog there for a while. The paw thing seems to be lessening. Again, I had heard an off hand remark that this is also very Boxerish. Someday I'll post more pictures of her in case that helps. Your thoughts?

Thanks, M

:rolleyes: Holly loves kisses, that's what we call them and you only have to say give me a kiss and you get a big lick. I think it's an affectionate thing. She greets you the same and she also loves cuddles too. I would be more worried if she wasn't affectionate. :D

Gus (newdog, purebred BC) is very licky. I don't think there's any form of people interaction that's uniquely Border Collie-ish, but the way they can make these habits rise to the level of annoying intensity may be.

I don't let Gus lick like that and let him know that. Patrick lets him get away with it. Gus knows the difference, and it hasn't hurt his feelings at all. If it annoys you, it's ok to put a stop to it. If it doesn't, still try not to let it get too obsessive of manipulative.

Holly is like Gus as she knows that some people like kisses and some don't. She has learned that some people just don't like it and she reacts differently. It's the same with cuddles some people love cuddling her others don't. They do figure it out quick and it doesn't bother her much. :rolleyes: She was lickey more when she was younger though now she has calmed down a bit.

Gus (newdog, purebred BC) is very licky. I don't think there's any form of people interaction that's uniquely Border Collie-ish, but the way they can make these habits rise to the level of annoying intensity may be.

I don't let Gus lick like that and let him know that. Patrick lets him get away with it. Gus knows the difference, and it hasn't hurt his feelings at all. If it annoys you, it's ok to put a stop to it. If it doesn't, still try not to let it get too obsessive of manipulative.

Hi Rebecca:

What do you do to let him know that you don't like it? I let my LLL get away with it most of the time....as I realize it is affection. But there are other times when I really don't want to wash my hands one more time...like in the evening when it's time to cook:) At times my little lickity lou lou is razor sharp fast and knows how to slip in the lick series when/if my attention is elsewhere. I do tend to think it is more BC ish--am I wrong. My Golden also gives me kisses, but they usually come in singles, not series; and typically are not surprises but in complete context. LLL is also in context, but it sometimes seems like a contest!

Holly is like Gus as she knows that some people like kisses and some don't. She has learned that some people just don't like it and she reacts differently. It's the same with cuddles some people love cuddling her others don't. They do figure it out quick and it doesn't bother her much. :rolleyes: She was lickey more when she was younger though now she has calmed down a bit.

Hi Holly:

Thanks! I think I have something to look forward to when she grows older:)

lol :rolleyes: .

With Holly when she was younger we used to say good girl now that's enough, then perhaps get her to sit whilst we strocked her. Mind you that sounds easy thinking of Holly who is not so bad now!! hehe.

I am no expert at all but i do think it must be easier to calm down a pup/dog who is over affectionate than one who doesn't want affection.

You are sure to get loads of advice on here, perhaps try the thats enough like we use, you could perhaps have a few minutes lickey cuddles then say thats enough now and get up and move away so that she gets the idea that enough means stop. They are very quick to learn. Just a thought. That's how we done it. She does like kisses still but not so obsessive. :D