BC Boards

Is your dog ever sleepy?

I just kind of took note of this today, and I asked my husband if I was being silly and he agreed with me - Zoe is never sleepy. I mean in the "I just woke up and I need a minute to collect myself" kind of way. Zeeke is the spazziest dog I've ever seen, but when you let him out of his crate he stretches, yawns, and sits there blinking sleepily at you for a few minutes before his brain clicks in.

Zoe has no warm-up. She wakes up in a snap and goes straight to bouncing around and licking you to death.

Same at night... Zoe wrestles with the cat, chews on her bone, chases Zeeke around, and then when the lights go off she curls up in a ball and falls asleep. Just like that. (She has a VERY good off-switch.)

I can even go back and forth. I get up, she launches herself to her feet and skitters down the hall, bouncing and woofing at me. I go back to bed, she jumps up at my feet, lays down, falls asleep.

So... is this a border collie thing, or just a Zoe thing? LOL

Well when I let Black Jack out of his crate in the morning he'll bolt out, run and get a toy, then kind of calm down for a few minutes for a quick pet, hug and a morning kiss. But after that he's pretty wild. But if he's down stairs sleeping on the couch with me and I get up, he can go from sleeping, to "lets play" in a blink of an eye. So it's probably a BC thing :rolleyes:

Kinda depends on the time of day ... Since I work early shift,I get up at 03:30 and there are somedays

when my guys just raise heads,look and basically say "Have a good day.We're going back to sleep....zzzzzzzzzzz"

During daylight hours they go from horizontal to vertical and out the dogdoor in about 5 seconds!

My mutts defiitely get sleepy!

Speedy didn't when he was younger, but now he is sleepy for a few minutes in the morning, and often in the evening.

Dean isn't there yet. He's rarin' to go at all times!!!

Nope. Even if you wake him up in the middle of the night, Ouzo's already grabbing his toy and he's ready for a game of fetch LOL

The only time he gets somehow sleepy is when we come from the dog park, and he quietly retriets into the bedroom and curls on our bed. But if he hears some commotion, he instantly gets up and is ready to go, play, do whatever needs to be done :rolleyes:

Hoku wakes up slowly, he is so sweet in the morning. When he sees that I am awake, he gets up out of his crate, stretches, yawns, wags his way over to the bed, and comes half way up and cuddles for a bit. But during the day, he goes from asleep to 100 mph in a nanosecond.

Millie gets up a little slowly but once she stretches she's ready to go. If I were to grab a leash and head out she would get up without stretching or anything, if there's an immediate walk involved.

Lucy's not a BC but she gets up very slowly and stretches and I sort of have to wait around for her to get out of her bed. But then she's a lightening bolt.

Gypsy gets super sleepy late at night. She knows it's past her bedtime and always tries to get us to follow her up to bed - her kennel's upstairs. When we don't go up with her (she's not allowed up on her own) she'll just fall over on the living room rug and go to sleep. The only way to get her up after she's out for the night is to ask if she wants a treat :rolleyes:

From the time Usher is let out of his crate in the morning, he doesn't run out to potty- the first thing I see in his mouth is his new cuz ball. Wish I could just jump out of bed and start vacuuming. He does, however, if I fall asleep notices I'm not throwing anymore and winds down and lays down himself, but when I woke up I found little pieces of the feet of the cuz ball on the floor. I told him, you have a hoof for chewing, why don't you go get that. So he did. LOL. Border collies are so smart. He probably heard blah blah blah hoof blah blah.

Nykie doesn't. She's raring to go the minute I get up and she rarely ever stops. Sometimes, she may take a short nap, but the minute you move, she's up and ready to go. Once it's bed time, she'll go to her crate, curl up and go to sleep, but if I get up during the night she wakes up.

That is how Dazzle is 99% of the time.

But when she has a bladder infection, did agility all day, worked on her frozen kong in the car, then had to tear apart her raw meat, plus investigate the new foster rats, play with Peanut, play with me, AND defend your yard against a trespassing cat - she did NOT want to wake up. Her tongue was poking out of her mouth, she was drooling, and she was practically dead.

Badger is a bit elderly now, but he has always woken with a stretch and sometimes a very loud yawn, but within seconds he has a toy in his mouth and is ready to play. He sleeps realy easy, either at my feet or in his bed but if i mention a walk, pick up a toy his head will soon jump of the pillow. Sometimes he even looks as if he has just got up, his eyes are half shut and his lip is all caught up like an Elvis impressionLOL

I just kind of took note of this today, and I asked my husband if I was being silly and he agreed with me - Zoe is never sleepy. I mean in the "I just woke up and I need a minute to collect myself" kind of way. Zeeke is the spazziest dog I've ever seen, but when you let him out of his crate he stretches, yawns, and sits there blinking sleepily at you for a few minutes before his brain clicks in.

Zoe has no warm-up. She wakes up in a snap and goes straight to bouncing around and licking you to death.

Same at night... Zoe wrestles with the cat, chews on her bone, chases Zeeke around, and then when the lights go off she curls up in a ball and falls asleep. Just like that. (She has a VERY good off-switch.)

I can even go back and forth. I get up, she launches herself to her feet and skitters down the hall, bouncing and woofing at me. I go back to bed, she jumps up at my feet, lays down, falls asleep.

So... is this a border collie thing, or just a Zoe thing? LOL

I had to think about this for a minute. But no, I've never seen my Bucky sleepy. He is either asleep or wide awake alert, ready for anything and everything. I've never seen an in-between for him. My BC Jack was the same. I don't know if this is a BC kind of trait or not but with people it seems to run the gamut. Me:, I wake up on a dime and am totally alert but for others (people) it varies, from groggy, give me some time to get this together to instant wide awake alert .

Good question. Open for some study, I think.

Ling will snuggle and snooze if I make it clear I'm staying in bed in the morning, but the moment I make a movement like I'm getting up, she's off the bed and down the hall like a bullet.

The most amusing "sleepy dog" demeanor around here is when she is really, really tired, like after we've gone to the park and done a loooong frisbee session, or had a day at the beach. If I don't let her up in my lap (instant sleep) Ling will lay on her dog bed that is positioned so that she can look at me while I read a book or watch TV, and head will start to bob, and her eyes flutter, but you can tell she's fighting sleep as hard as she can, like a sleepy little kid that doesn't want to miss anything!

:D Holly is much the same as everyone here is , we did manage to tire her to some degree this weekend. We took her away in our caravan for the weekend. So with all those new smells and places and dogs to sniff out and her favourite - lots of beach and sea play she was a little sleepy when we got back and had well about half an hour sleeping then she is back up again with those where are we going?, what are we doing now? eyes.

But then i love that about her as she will always be ready to do what i want to do with me. :rolleyes:

First thing in the mornin' Ed's a little sleepy. Takes him about 20 mins to fully wake. After that he's like a tasmanian devil. Sometimes after alot of exercise he lollops around and can't be bothered with anything....it's really quite cute, WW3 could start and he wouldn't care!!! :rolleyes: