BC Boards

Back Legs Shaking

Hello everyone! Ginger's back legs have been kind of shaky lately. I have been noticing it on and off for the past two weeks. Sometimes it is both legs, other times only one. I am going to schedule a vet visit. Sometimes I notice it when she is calm, other times when we are out running around and playing. Her back legs shake almost as though she is trembling with fear, but that isn't what is causing it. It is very odd. Anybody have any ideas? It has me worried and of course imagining up all kinds of horrible issues! Thanks in advance.

In the last couple of weeks has she been more active than usual?

I know that when my legs are fatigued after soccer when we've had a couple of hard weeks my legs will tremble if I try to hold them in positions that shouldnt be a problem any other time.

My friends Golden gets like this when Chesney and I come home over the summer for the first few weeks because his activity is increased a good amount. And I think after a couple of weeks of an increased workout schedule will fatigue a body. Otherwise not sure what it might be other than fatigue, if it is that she has had her activity increased, give her a few days rest and see if that help? If not then I would make a trip to the vet :rolleyes:

ETA: I also noticed that you live in Tucson. Has the weather changed for summer and started getting a good bit warmer? Maybe the heat is fatiguing her faster than normal with her exercise?

How old is your dog? I ask because my dog Shadow (RIP) had her rear legs start to shake upon the onset of arthritis.

The same thing was happening to a Miniature Schnauzer that we had. She had arthritis really bad and her back legs shook every time that she got up, stood for too long, or played too hard. She was 15 when we lost her, though, and that was in 2005.

The Aussie pup I puppy sat would start to tremble sometimes after a long ball session - but with some water and some rest would quickly go back to normal.

Other times I have seen "shaking" legs like you are describing has been during agility trials (strangely, all those were Aussies too!) sometimes before a run in excitement, other times after a run.

Unless you consider other factors (age, apatite, etc) I don't think it would be much to worry about - but I would go ahead to the vet anyway - I worry a lot. :rolleyes:

Thanks for the input! Ginger is only 3 years old. And it has been getting hotter here, which I really didn't even consider as a factor because it is no where near as hot as it is going to get! Yuck, not looking forward to summer! She hasn't been any more active than usual, but she is probably heating up quicker because of the weather. Everything else is normal: appetite, energy level, water intake, etc.

I don't think this is the case for your dog since you said she'd shake when she's calm too.

My lab's back legs would shake uncontrollably when he's told to wait for something he likes - toys and food. A mal that I know that has the similar drive does the same thing. He's calm but his back leg start shaking whenever his handler grabs his toy.