BC Boards

Bloodwork/IV

Gypsy is getting spayed tomorrow. The clinic where it's happening called me tonight, and said that I have the option of paying $40 for an IV, and $60 to get her bloodwork done. How important are each of these? The spay is free since it was included in her adoption. I don't have a lot of money right now (in university :rolleyes: ) but if they're very important then I'll get them done.

None of the vets around here do IV during normal spays as far as I know; I'd probably get the bloodwork tho since it can catch any problems before surgery. Guess I just have to be different lol.

Given the choice between bloodwork and an IV, I would take the IV. If something does go wrong it could mean the difference between a normal dog and a dead dog. It's rare, but complications do happen and the IV allows the vet to get meds into the dog quickly. One of my Border Collies crashed while under anesthesia for a dental cleaning. The vet was able to push meds into his IV within seconds (I saw the whole thing, I was the tech on duty for surgery that day). As a result of her quick reaction he woke up normally and had no long term effects. His bloodwork had not shown anything and he was a young, healthy dog.

Ummm, I am shocked that they are giving you an option for the IV. Spaying is not trivial surgery. The level of anesthesia to do this is such that you sure as heck want a port if you need to address any issues that come up- low blood pressure, heart rate, etc. issues. An IV, imo, is a requirement. I have been present at many surgeries, and having the ability to quickly address something can be a life or death situation. The bloodwork, imo, isn't a requirement, though many vets like to have this in older pets, as issues with liver function, or other benchmarks can show up, that would preclude the animal from being anesthetized.

Julie

I agree, I actually assumed that the IV would be mandatory during the spay....thought perhaps they were considering extra fluids as I've always had so many older dogs that were put on fluids before the actual operation. I never even considered it was an "option" during surgery. As the bloodwork is optional pre-operative procedure, I thought they were asking $40 for optional fluids beforehand as well.... kind of scary.

Maria

Guest amylobdell24

When I had my female spayed, I declined the bldwk, but did the IV fluids. I definitely think it's a very important thing to have that patent, open vein if needed. Also, anesthesia has come really far in the last several years, but the most common complication we see with it is lowered blood pressure.... and the first thing we do to bring it up is increase that IV fluid rate. Looking back, I really wish I had done the bldwk, though - Ceana's had several small issues that affect some of her blood values off & on and I sure wish I had known if it was going on when she was a puppy. It would have given her vet more information on which to base his diagnoses & treatments. Would it have changed anything on the day of her spay? Probably not. But still, it's info I wish I had now that I can't go back and change. The clinic I'm at now requires bldwk & catheter for any sedated procedure (except for cat neuters). So it's really up to you and how much you feel you can comfortably spend right now. As for me, I did the bldwk on my male this time around, and would certainly make the decision to do it again in the future.

Hi everyone this is Nick - Gypsy's daddy :D

We took her in at 7:30 this morning and the vet called at about 2pm to let us know her surgery went perfectly. We debated on wether or not we should go see her but we decided it'd probably get her too excited and (grudgingly) agreed not to go and just wait to pick her up tomorrow morning.

It's far too quiet in the house without her! Can't wait to have our wee girl back :rolleyes:

I'm glad she's doing good. That's good to hear in the morning. It is probably good that you didn't go and see her, IMO that might make her think she's coming home but then she has to stay longer. I bet she can't wait to get home though.

Alrighty, we picked Gypsy up at 9:00 this morning and she couldn't be happier to be out of the vets. She grabbed a good nap when she got home and we took her for a gentle 10 minute walk round the block when she woke up.

Here's a few pics of her tummy and new tattoo if anyone's interested:

Gypsy020-1.jpg

Gypsy014.jpg

Gypsy013.jpg

Gypsy011-1.jpg

Gypsy010-1.jpg

Nick, Lisa & Gypsy

The incision does look good. She looks pretty happy. Welcome home Gypsy!