BC Boards

Why can't these people keep their dogs in??

I love the neighborhood we're in... it's very low-traffic, residential, people have kids, etc. It's a nice area. But we have a couple of people on our street who let their dogs just wander around! They are older dogs, both look like lab mixes... one golden, one black. I frequently see the golden lab's family out in their front yard playing ball or whatever (older kids)... and their dog is just walking off down the street. I don't GET it. I let Zoe off-leash IN MY YARD. She does NOT cross that boundary. And she does NOT go walking down the middle of the freaking street!

The dogs avoid our yard because of Zeeke... they're both older, skittish around people (I can't get close enough to touch them, much less bring them back to their owners), and afraid of our dogs. But when they're across the street or walking down the road they drive Zeeke CRAZY.... and he's driving ME crazy, in turn.

Arrrggghhhhh.

I feel your pain Natalie. I live in a similar neighborhood and me neighbors used to have a little beagle that they let wander around. Buddy (a very appropriate name) was a sweetheart who came over to visit every time I got home from work. He would accompany anyone taking a walk on their route. However, at 7 years old his luck ran out. Someone that doesn't live in the neighborhood was driving too fast and not looking for Buddy like the rest of us did. He was hit, but not killed instantly. The kids (6 and 3 years old) were outside and had to watch him try to crawl up the driveway.

I talked to them afterward and they said they were going to fence in their yard before getting another dog.

3 weeks ago they showed up with a lab mix puppy. They initally kept it in a little kennel in the backyard or out on a leash. Good for them I thought! Then I started noticing that she was left outside without anyone around. She would wander into our garage and I would take her home only to find no one was home. I guess they have decided that a fence was too much trouble and that she is old enough to fend for herself at the mature age of 14 weeks old. Poor little girl, she wants company so badly!!

Olivia

I can somewhat relate, except around here we have a multitude of cats running lose all the time.

Nellie pretty much ignores her cats (she has three of them) but there is a particular ginger male cat that likes to set outside the door and tease her. She really does not appreciate that, which gets her running through the house barking out each of the doors.

This cat has even stalked her when she is laying out in the yard with her back turned.

I really don't understand some people.

Olivia, OMG! Left outside alone at 14 weeks old... I cannot imagine. What is WRONG with people, especially after watching what happened the last time!

We have some loose cats around here, but not too many.... at my parents' it's much worse (and they're offenders of that one, too - sigh). Zoe actually met a cat outside just this week when I was walking her.... she thought it was ours, same colors. The cat wasn't as happy to see her as Jo would be, though, LOL.

Seems like it's the same story everywhere. On my (country) road there's an agressive bullmastiff that's allowed to wander freely and all the neighbours have to be cautious when out on the road (walking, biking, etc.) There have been complaints made but so far the by-law officer has done nothing. I'm surprised that the dog hasn't either been hit by a car or shot by somebody because of his temperment.

Near my mom's cottage there is a golden retriever that's allowed to wander all over the place from cottage to cottage. The kid who owns him will eventually go out on the lake in the boat and cruise the shoreline to see where the dog's at and give him a boat ride home. At least he's not an agressive dog but still! For his own sake and the other neighbours he shouldn't be allowed to roam free. A few times when I've been at my mom's with our dogs this guys tried to take their toys away. Lightning will bring his Kong in out of the water and when he drops it the golden will pick it up and take off. Surprisingly Lightning lets him do it (guess because he's a strange dog - if it was one of ours he'd be all mine, mine mine with the kong) so I have to go get it back.

we never had an issue with this till some newer people movedinto the naighborhood, next thing I knew there were 2 german Shepherds out roaming all the time, I remeber seeing a lady walking her dog past the one house and the dog leaped out and started attacking her dog, I assume the lady reported it because I havent seen the dog roaming in several weeks now, the other one is a very friendly dog, but the idiot owner actually SENDS the dog out into the street when he see's another dog, just cuz his dog is friendly does NOT mean every dog passing is also friendly! I always make sure to avoid passing his house when I have Happy with me.

There's a big difference between "can't" and "won't". Some people are ignorant and some are just indifferent. Sorry to hear you and many others have to deal with this type of situation. We currently don't but know what it's like from past (and probably future) experience.

My beef is the people who think the invisable fencing is a babysitter. There was a little dog in my garage one day! Just hangin out, she startled me when I came out, then came over and was real friendly. I could tell she was lost from the neighborhood, she had a radio collar on and had blown through her fence. I looked at her tags and called the number, and asked if she was missing. The owners were freaked and asked me to hold her until they could get her. I asked them her name and the girl on the phone said Becky. By then, the little stinker had taken off running while I was on the cordless with the owner. So I take off running like an idiot, yelling "BECKY!" "BECKY!" and she leads me on a gay chase all over the neighborhood. She jumps in the pond, leaps out, shakes water all over me and takes off again. I finally get in front of her and coax her into chasing me to my house, yelling 'Come Becky!" the whole time. I get to my house and the owners are there and I figure out why she wouldn't come to me. Her name was Ginger..the owner's name was Becky. The dog probably thought I was some wierdo calling her the wrong name the whole time... I see dogs in our neighborhood wandering around all the time that are supposed to be "safe" in the yard with invisable fencing. Charlene

Natalie,

Yup, 14 weeks. She is a sweetie who desperately wants to be involved. She sits on the other side of our privacy fence and cries and cries when I'm out playing with our guys.

I've talked to the owners about the necessity of a fence and they initally agreed. Then I gave them some literature on crate training and puppy training saying that I hoped little Molly could become a house dog cause that's what dogs really crave. I teach basic and puppy obedience so I offered a discount on class if they would bring her to class. I talked about how a puppy needs to be taught good manners and that I would be happy to help. Haven't heard a word.

I get so mad about it. I told DH that the next time she wanders into our garage I was going to pick her up and take her to the shelter. She's wearing tags so they would be called. Maybe having to bail her out of the pound might make a difference in their fence opinion. He wants me to play nice with the neighbors and not cause problems. I told him no problem...they didn't have to know it was me who took her to the shelter. Bah...just makes me so mad.

Olivia