BC Boards

Abbie's first agility trial

Abbie and I had our first agility trial on Saturday.

Her first run was regular agility and she wouldn't go up the dog walk the first time but towards the end of the run she got better.

Her second run was regular 2 and she went really really well. She did the distance test great, weaved, didn't get sucked into the tunnel when there was a tunnel/a-frame and tunnel/dog walk discrimination but I called her over an off course jump so we didn't Q but I was still super happy coz it was a great run!

She didn't Q in Chances because she was 1 second too slow, otherwise a good run.

Touch N Go she was clean but yet again 1 sec too slow. She still came 2nd :D

Weavers she missed an entry but otherwise was great. Came 2nd again!!

Jumpers she had one off course jump ( I got lost ) but it was a really good run besides that and I took a big lead out which she handled fine.

All in all it was a great day (well great to our standards but not to Dazzle and Kats :D )and we only need to work on focus (she stopped to "talk" to the judge a few times) and speed.

She got two 2nds and two 1sts !!

You know what i learned? That the numbers mean nothing if you don't know what number the last obstacle you took was! :rolleyes:

Well Done!!!!! :D :D :D

That is totally awesome! The Qs never matter as long as YOU know your dog did great! :rolleyes:

For the other things, like speed and focus, those will come just with more trialing experience (Dazzle is improving with each trial she goes to!). So along with just more training on those, she will just need more time running in a real trial too (and the dogs DO know the difference!) and those things will sort of fix themselves almost automatically as time goes on. I can't wait to hear about her next trial. :D

Congrats on an AMAZING first trial! Way to go Abbie!

Yay Abbie!!

Sounds like a very successful weekend! Don't worry about the concentration breaks or need for more speed. When she gets more comfortable in a trial situation and you get more comfortable too it will all come together.

All in all... congrats on a great first trial!

Olivia

Huge congrats! Sounds like you guys had a great time and what an outstanding 1st trial! Two 1sts and two 2nds are wonderful. I found that I wasn't worrying at all about Q's at Sierra's first - I wanted to get around the course with my dog's attention! :rolleyes:

Congratulations on your first trial! So fess up - are you now totally addicted? :rolleyes:

I remember my first trial with Bear, back in 2001. I spent most of the time in the port-a-potty, I think! And of all the ribbons Bear's won (and he's won A LOT), those ribbons from the first trial are still my most precious.

Yay for the both of you! How exciting! River & my first agility trial is this Saturday/Sunday!! I'm feeling pretty confident, but at the same time, worried that the 'actual' trial will make things different. I'm relieved to hear you survived yours, that means I can do it too :rolleyes:

Congratulations on your first trial! So fess up - are you now totally addicted? :D

Well.......YES!!!!!!:D I play a lot of other sports too, so I can't go to trials that often :D but whenever I have a spare weekend I will be out there! :rolleyes:

Raising River- I was really really really really nervous for our first run (I think thats why Abbie was a bit spazz) but when it was over everyone cheered and after that I was feeling much better! Don't worry its not that scary, as long as you have fun and you make it fun for River. Even after Abbie's dreadful run I made her think she was the best in the world so she was more confident in the ring! :D

Thank you everyone for your comments. I can't wait for her next trial but it wont be until May.

In one sense I am really annoyed because we came so close to Q's in most runs, but in another sense I am thrilled for the same reason. It was just my silly mistakes holding us back. At least I know we can do it next time!!! :D:D:D:D

And in chances they forgot to lower the height so she jumped at 20" when she should have been 16" (I was entered in 'Skilled -4' ). They didn't let me do it again, which I can understand...she didn't knock any bars though!!!!! :D

If you run your do to high, they have to let the run go. However, if you do a run with the jumps to low, they have to let you do it over. That was a good tidbit to know I thought. I always try to make a habit of looking at all the jumps before your run and make sure they are all set right or it could mean a NQ. And you don't want that!! :rolleyes: