BC Boards

Raw Foods?

I give shelby carrots and most veggies - no onions or tomatos are anything related to a tomato.

A sheltie breeder that I used to work with at my old job to pressure cooks whole chicken, with rice and veggies. and no worries about the chicken bones because they get soft enough they can digest with no problems. i can try to get the recipe from him.

As many different things as I can get my hands on. I refuse to believe that dogs, who have lived on human trash for centuries and on a very mixed meat diet before that, really want and need "the same food every day" as some people around here (this place, not the boards) appear to believe.

The main bulk of the diet comes from raw meat that I've ordered from internet stores. The "extras" are whatever happens to be there - cottage cheese, other cheese, eggs, vegetables (they go through the blender and get mixed with something tasty), tuna, ham, kibble, fish oil...whatever they will eat.

This evening, it was cow trachea for Kessie. Crack, crack. (I swear, I've come to like this sound ).

Kyla had some rice and chicken as she had light diarrhea yesterday.

Well no I never give table scraps any "human" food I give to a dog is.... well no never mind anything can be considered as table scraps :rolleyes:

it just depends. I just make sure its not processed food.

Originally posted by Dog Lady:

Sometimes I read to give them table scraps and other times definitely NOT to give table scraps. Suppose it just matters what day of the week you are reading whichever article

Yikes, don't I know that feeling!

All I can do is assure you that Kessie is alive and healthy after two and a half years of "table scrapping" as well as raw feeding, and that her coat looks better too: link

Some other dogs do just fine on kibble, though...but of course that doesn't mean that table scraps would kill them

Now that I've been raw feeding Speedy for just over a year, I don't think of food as "human food" or "dog food" - it's just food. I am sometimes caught off guard when I hear, "you give your dog PEOPLE FOOD?" because I just don't think in those terms anymore.

I supplement Speedy's basic raw diet with Vitamin C and Cod Liver Oil. He has seasonal allergies and those supplements seem to help reduce the skin inflamation. This is his first allergy season on this diet and so far so good.

I also grind vegetables - usually green beans or asparagus or squash. I've read that ground vegetables have nutritional value for dogs and I've read that they don't, but I enjoy preparing the vegetables, so I add them.

I am able to order a 50lb case of chicken backs from a local farm ($30).

So Holly ges 1 back in the morning and some sort of veggie at night. Either some squash or pumpking right now.

Now that it is hunting season I will be getting various organs hearts and livers too. I try to give her some sort of liver or heart once a week.

Oh on Sundays she gets some eggs for breakfast too.

I have one dog that is raw fed. She gets raw meaty bones (for example - chicken quarters, turkey necks, duck, rabbit, pork necks & ribs, etc.), muscle meat (such as beef heart, ground turkey), and organ meat (such as beef liver, kidneys, etc.). She also gets green tripe/spleen, eggs, fish, some cottage cheese, yogurt, and veggie mush. She also gets a gluco/chon supp, vit. E, and fish oil.

My kibble fed dogs (eventually I hope to have them ALL on a raw diet) get their kibble plus canned dog food, fish, eggs, cottage cheese, yogurt, pumpkin, green beans, and the occasional RMB.

In other words, they don't get "table scraps" persay, but they do get fresh foods often.

I feed Dublin raw - for about 1.5 years now. He is doing well on it (and he loves mealtime) and it has greatly reduced the impact of allergies.

He gets various meats, fish, eggs, veggies, organs and other parts. He isn't a big fan of rabbit but loves beef, chicken, pork, turkey, lamb, and the occasional exotic meat like ostrich, llama, or buffalo. Currently we are working our way through about 600 pounds of grassfed, organic beef - supplemented with the occasional piece of chicken.

Veggies he likes include carrots, broccoli, squash, zuccini, beans - but definitely not peas. No matter how I try to hide the little suckers, he always manages to find them and pick them out.

He also routinely gets portions of whatever I am eating as long as it is safe for him (ie no onions, chocolate, etc).

Rolf - your dog's food bowls look better than most of my meals! A word of caution though - it looks like you are giving your dogs grapes. Grapes aren't good for dogs - they are on the list of "Human foods that poison pets".

Well, I am now Serously thinking about feed Shelb's raw foods Sandra's pictures helped out alot

But my question is, for all of you who buy the meat in bulk, where? what kind of resource do you get this from? and What all is needed for a balanced diet? ESP for a puppy? could someone give me a link? I think that I will do some research today.

Originally posted by Root Beer:

I supplement Speedy's basic raw diet with Vitamin C and Cod Liver Oil. He has seasonal allergies and those supplements seem to help reduce the skin inflamation. This is his first allergy season on this diet and so far so good.

and the allergy's, I was told by the vet that if she spends alot of time cleaning or "chewing" on her paws she might have allergies. So will the Raw diet help with them, if she has any?

:rolleyes: I am full of questions. I've had dogs all my life but none this needy and I love learning as much as possible. so I can take the best care of her that I am able

So will the Raw diet help with them, if she has any?
Depends on the allergies. If they are food related - then yes. Dublin is allergic to grains so switching him to raw helped tremendously. He also has a few environmental allergies (like ragweed pollen) and they are still bothersome.

If you do a search on the boards (under general as well as health sections) you will find a ton of info and references.

I was told by the vet that if she spends alot of time cleaning or "chewing" on her paws she might have allergies. So will the Raw diet help with them, if she has any?
Possibly. Allergies are tricky to deal with. I know that Speedy's are seasonal and not food related because he gets itchy and loses fur around the same time every year.

Sometimes the raw diet can help deter seasonal allergies because grains can sometimes aggravate a skin issue. That's why I switched Speedy to raw and removed all but very occasional grains from his diet.

But I also added the vitamin C and the oil and I do acupressure on him, so it's hard to say if the diet alone is keeping his allergic reactions at minimum this year.

I will say this, though. If I knew for a fact that the raw diet wasn't actually what is helping him, I would still keep him on it. It's very gratifying to me to feed him unprocessed foods. If I could afford it, I would feed all three of my dogs raw.

There is an excellent book called "Raw Dog Food" by Carina Beth MacDonald. I recommend it as a great starting point for anyone who wants to look into the raw diet.

So basically, "raw" foods is raw meat, and raw veggies?? I thought you had to look at, say-Kibbles and make sure it had a low protein amount in it? But here you are saying, if I am correct, that they should eat lots of meat, espicially as young pups or mature dogs?, with fish oil and vitamins.

There is a lot of water in raw meat, so you have to do the "dry matter" conversion when comparing the protein in raw meat to kibble.

But here you are saying, if I am correct, that they should eat lots of meat, espicially as young pups or mature dogs?, with fish oil and vitamins.

There are many, many ways to feed raw food. It can be intimidating and confusing, at first. Do much research, keep and open mind, and do what feels right by you.

I fed my pup what I fed my adult dogs, just in smaller portions throughout the day. It is amazing that a small pup (8 weeks) can handle a chicken drumstick or thigh without any trouble. Fish oil can't hurt, though I haven't seen a need for it, and vitamins are unneccessary, and I certainly wouldn't give a pup any. Why risk harming a pup if you really don't know what you are doing or why? Again, research, research.

Originally posted by Wendy V:

quote:

But here you are saying, if I am correct, that they should eat lots of meat, espicially as young pups or mature dogs?, with fish oil and vitamins.

There are many, many ways to feed raw food. It can be intimidating and confusing, at first. Do much research, keep and open mind, and do what feels right by you.I second and third that. Also, if you know anyone who raw feeds, they might be able to help you get started. It was a real blessing to me to have a friend nearby who was raw feeding her dogs. It was a great help in getting started.