BC Boards

Puppy collar size

I'm collar shopping for my puppy, but before I buy anything I was wondering about how long collars lasted everyone here? For those of you who bought collars for young pups, how large a collar did you get? At what age did your pup outgrow it?

I've completely forgotten what I got for Dakota when he was a pup, lol. I'd like to get a few collars for the baby that will last at least a few months, but I'm clueless as to what size to get. TiA.

Since I got Ouzo we've only gone through 2 adjustable nyalon collars: one thinner from age 2 months till about 4, then another one, thicker and longer, which he still wears now, at 14 months.

P.S. Edited to add: Never saw Lupine collars before, but after checking their website, they look like what I'm using on Ouzo (but his are waaay less fancy :rolleyes: He has a simple black one )

Hmm, okay. I don't think our local petstore has the lupine ones, but I've seen them before and they feel really good.

Dakota isn't a real collar hound - he has such long fur that collars are hidden. I have a thick leather one on him for winter and a cheap nylon one for summer, that he can swim in. He's had the nylon one since he was young, it was one of those adjustable ones I got at Petsmart, and I've never needed to replace it. I think I'll get him a Lupine one this summer.

Despite knowing that it'll somehow get chewed and mangled, I went right out and bought her a cute (expensive) leather one. I might find a Lupine one as her regular collar and save this one for "dress up".

Gah. You know the puppy fever is getting worse when you get excited over collars.

Originally posted by borderlicious:

Dakota isn't a real collar hound - he has such long fur that collars are hidden.

I know what you mean. Ouzo's nowhere as harry as Dakota is, and you cannot tell in most of the pics that he's wearing a collar, other than the obvious tags hanging from it (he has three: name&address, rabbies vaccination, Home Again).

Coastal also makes adjustable collars. They usually run a few dollars cheaper than Lupine, however, they are not guaranteed against chewing like the Lupine ones are.

My favorite "everyday" collars for adult dogs are the the Spectra ones made by Coastal. They are adjustable nylon with a stainless steel quick release clip, and are guarenteed not to come apart on their own. The only downside is that they come in only 5 colors... :rolleyes: Not a problem with a long haired dog, but now that I also have a short hair guy that chews, I might have to look into a Lupine :D

Nick has a cool patterned Lupine collar. I actually got a size too big, so had to do some cut-and-stitch work with the sewing machine. I'm sure it voided the warranty, but oh well.

While we're on the topic of collars... dog tags? I get mine from www.boomerangtags.com They make tags that slip onto the collar, instead of hang off. Very high quality, and they ship FAST. Granted, Nick's is hidden in his fuzz, but his collar is pretty obvious, and I'd think people would look for a tag. I like them because the jangling drives me nuts when we're working sheep, and they don't get stuck on things (my mutt dog's hang tag flipped her water bowl a couple times...)

Boomerang here too! I'll never again order tags from anywhere else.

I use the slide on ones, too. I love them! No more clanging tags that eventually wear loose. I also got "traveling" tags for both dogs. I put those on their collars if I take them on a trip. They say "I'm traveling" and list a couple additional cell phone numbers. I got those in the red plastic bone shape so they'd be easy to see on my dogs if the worst should happen.

Ben,

I just get cheap tags from the machines at Petco. Dakota's had his since he was a puppy, and he's now about 2.5. The tag still looks good. I have a tag holder that attaches to Dakota's collar. I don't have any pics of it on him, but it's this type.

http://www.dogclothes.com/index.asp?PageAc...D&ProdID=9&HS=1

The one that attaches directly to the collar is a good idea. i'll have to look into that.

I use leather rolled collars - black cuz it hides in River's fur anyway - and it doesn't break the hairs on her neck, ie. when you take the collar off it doesn't look like she's wearing an invisible one.

I purchased a nylon hot pink collar originally which lasted a month or so (so ppl would know she was a girl at 8wks) then a tiny rolled leather one. She is on her 3rd collar, a second rolled leather which was purchased around 5 months or so. It's her permanent one now.

She has a small boomerang tag that slides on which just fits her leather collar in the flat buckle holes area but also wears 1 single hanging tag in case when lost people don't notice her collar (which they wouldn't due to fur) and less likely to know to look for the boomerang plate. I like the permanency of the plate cuz of course a tag could come off. The Boomerang has her name, my cell ph number and her county ID number.

She started with the little brass circle tag from Petsmart but now has a small size silver/black dog paw and there's a whole thread on that and where to get them:

http://www.bordercollie.org/cgi-bin/ultima...=1;t=012704;p=1

River with the new tag, notice you can't see her collar:

river-tag.jpg

Name & cell ph are the only thing on the tag which makes zero noise.

Lance is on his second collar. He grew out of the first one really fast. His collar is a lot like those Lupine brand adjustable collars, but I got it at Longs Drugs for like $10. Here's a pic I took with my cellphone I got for christmas I really like this collar. It's durable, has a lot of adjustability, and is a lot easier to put on and take off with the snap clip than his old buckle collar.

0f2e09e7a5b9.jpg?tw=305&th=228&_rh=ehjutl32cvu3fkzz2ikjyjoqn

That's the same type that poppy has. But his is blue.

So if your dogs dont have any hanging tags does that mean you don't have them wear their license and rabies tags? Just curious.

I'd be afraid to not have them on mine. Just in case. Even though they are never out alone.

You just never know.

Originally posted by Beth G:

So if your dogs dont have any hanging tags does that mean you don't have them wear their license and rabies tags? Just curious.

In my case, my dogs don't wear their license or rabies tags. They both do have their license # on their boomerang tag (which doesn't hang), but only my phone and their name on the hang one. Their microchip will identify them as well which will indicate that they have their rabies and you can't get a county license without providing the rabies paper so if anyone inquires on my dogs, they will find they have their rabies. I think it's extra that they wear them. If someone is bitten by my dog, I'm sure they would call the numbers to find out about the rabies - it's only a small step past having the tag already on there.

I fulfill the county requirement of wearing their license (at least the number anyway) and my contact info. Short, simple, noiseless.

Originally posted by Beth G So if your dogs dont have any hanging tags does that mean you don't have them wear their license and rabies tags? Just curious.
No. I get three year license & rabies tags. They are made of aluminum or brass. It only took Missy's tags about a year and a half to wear through and get lost last time. So I'd rather just stick the ID tag on the collar, and have the other tags to put on if I'm traveling with them. I'm not really worried about them straying off at home because our property is large and they're not out by themselves often, and even when they are the farthest they go is out to the barn to watch the cats...