BC Boards

More Raw Questions

Hubby and I were discussing ways to find meat considering there is no butcher here. I know can you believe that?? Anyway, he was saying he could probably get deer stuff during season pretty cheap. I was wondering if deer meat i.e. the extras people wouldnt use would be ok or is it too rich or is there something wrong with it? Also same with wild turkey meat as well.

Depending on your area Chronic Wasting Disease might be an issue; I would worry about parasites as well since obviously deer are exposed to more of them than your average farm animal.

On a side note, I have found some good cuts and prices at Walmart - that might be a good place to check and I also know they carry big bags of chicken pretty cheap as well. My fiance will buy 10lb bags of chicken breasts there for grilling season.

I heard somewhere that some wild birds still contain shotgun pellets when they're sold...no idea if that's true (too expensive for me, anyway) but if it is, I wouldn't want the dogs to eat that.

Sandra thats a really scary thought.

Maggie, Walmarts bags of chicken generally contain about 12% added sodium. Hubby bought a big bag of chicken breasts there and I've started Rohan on them but he's bein stubborn today. Friday, he gobbled chicken up. Saturday not so much, but I fed him some herring, today he wont touch chicken. I think with him Im gonna have to do a ton of variety.... He's cried all night cause I've always left his food out so he can eat whenever, and I think he may think he's starving lol.

Riven just REFUSED to eat chicken last night. She would NOT touch it, she just looked like I beat her and the chicken was a punishment. :rolleyes: So, Im not sure how Im gonna get her to eat raw, she isnt wanting to.

I know a few people who supplement a kibble with venison. It is a very lean meat, but around our area it is readily available during hunting season. Last season we shot 6 deer. If we hadn't traded some of the venison off for beef, I would have considered sharing some with the dogs. Occassionally they do get a cut of venison as a treat.

I've never bought wild bird, but the ones we shoot we do remove the pellets from when we clean them (although we simply fillet off the breasts rather than keep the whole bird). In some places it is illegal to shoot wild birds with lead shot (which leads to lead poisoning in the birds) and they are shot with steel shot instead. The steel pellets are harmless.

Donna, Riven might simply not like chicken. Doesn't mean she doesn't like the RAW diet. You have to find something else to try.

My Blackie, when I had her, would simply refuse to touch raw chicken. She loved raw beef and beef bones, but wouldn't touch raw chicken with a 10 foot pole. She would eat it cooked, though! (she was pretty spoiled, given the fact I picked her up from the street, where she was eating out of garbage, but as soon as I brought her in, she instantly developed very refined taste ... :rolleyes: ).

Donna, I believe that Idaho has not yet had reported cases of Chronic Wasting Disease (mentioned by MaggieDog). I like venison, but am very careful about where it comes from before I'll eat it. As far as wild birds go, ever had pheasant? I think the animals would enjoy it (it's great!). However, you do need to be mindful of the shot. I think the scatter of pellets you find depends on the skill of whoever shot the bird. :rolleyes:

Hubby and I were discussing ways to find meat considering there is no butcher here. I know can you believe that?? Anyway, he was saying he could probably get deer stuff during season pretty cheap. I was wondering if deer meat i.e. the extras people wouldnt use would be ok or is it too rich or is there something wrong with it? Also same with wild turkey meat as well.

I look so look forward to deer season! I have been feeding trim plus some organs and occasional meaty bones for several years now. My dogs do well on vension and rarely have loose stools even after large meals; venison was my pup's first meal at home here and she did fine as well. I avoid the legs since they are effectively meatless and I choose not to offer bare bones to my dogs. I am wary of the rib cage for the same reason. The necks I have gotten though have uniformly been meaty works of art.

While there is no evidence at all that wolves, coyotes or dogs are susceptible to CWD (though cats are) and indeed some research suggests healthy wolf populations are instrumental in keeping CWD from spreading (by removing the diseased deer), if you are concerned about it, avoid eating/feeding the brain and the spinal column. This of course removes the lovely meaty necks from the menu but that's not an awful price to pay for being able to feed your dogs venison.

I don't see why wild turkey wouldn't be useful. Make sure (in both cases) there are no bullets or shot in the carcass; if you would feel safer, a thorough freezing (frozen solid for two weeks is fine) will kill most parasites.

Chris O

Goooood good info you guys!! I would be completely lost without you all.

As for Riven not liking chicken, that is possible I suppose. Although she eats raw chicken feet?! She wont eat raw hamburger either. The only raw I was ever successful with was chicken feet and beef rib. I wonder if I sprinkle crushed kibble on there if that would entice her? I did con her into eating a raw chicken liver last night, I wonder if I put more of those in the bowl she'd eat it? Also, if anyone knows of a butcher in Mountain Home, ID I'd appreciate the name, I've looked in the phone book and asked at the stores and no one knows.

Rohan finally ate this morning, he LOVES chicken liver and goes for those first. He's still not wild about the chicken, but he did eat a few square pieces of it. I am always worried about him and new food. When we got him he was a kitten and couldnt digest anything but Science Diet canned for kittens. We fed him that for 6 months. He has always been small, he's only 8 pounds. But he isnt fixed so Im sure that keeps him thin (Dont look at me! I want to fix him, talk to hubby). How can I know if he's digesting ok? His tummy is pretty full, should I be watching stools and all that?