BC Boards

Purina's Canned Alpo now added to Recall

Shoot.... I used to buy some of this canned Alpo to top his dry food with... Last time was about two months ago... Luckily I don't have any more canned dog food in the pantry ....

Alpo® Brand Prime Cuts In Gravy Canned Dog Food Voluntary Nationwide Recall

March 30, 2007

Nestlé Purina PetCare Company today announced it is voluntarily recalling all sizes and varieties of its ALPO® Prime Cuts in Gravy wet dog food with specific date codes. The Company is taking this voluntary action after learning today that wheat gluten containing melamine, a substance not approved for use in food, was provided to Purina by the same company that also supplied Menu Foods. The contamination occurred in a limited production quantity at only one of Purina's 17 pet food manufacturing facilities.

Consumers should immediately stop feeding their dogs ALPO Prime Cuts products with the date codes listed below and consult with a veterinarian if they have any health concerns with their pet.

The recalled 13.2-ounce and 22-ounce ALPO Prime Cuts cans and 6-, 8-, 12- and 24-can ALPO Prime Cuts Variety Packs have four-digit code dates of 7037 through 7053, followed by the plant code 1159. Those codes follow a "Best Before Feb. 2009" date. This information should be checked on the bottom of the can or the top or side of the multi-pack cartons.

Importantly, no Purina brand dry pet foods are affected by the recall - including ALPO Prime Cuts dry. In addition, no other Purina dog food products, no Purina cat food products, Purina treat products or Purina Veterinary Diet products are included in this recall, nor have been impacted by the contaminated wheat gluten supply.

At Purina, nothing is more important to us than the health and well-being of the pets whose nutrition has been entrusted to us by their owners, and we deeply regret this unfortunate situation. We will continue to take any and all actions necessary to ensure the quality and safety of our products.

Please see our March 30 press release for more information and click here for an updated list of Frequently Asked Questions. If you have more questions or concerns, please contact our Office of Consumer Affairs at 1-800-218-5898, Monday through Friday, 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. CDT.

I know a couple of people that use Alpo canned food. Luckly I don't though.

I heard on CNN that Hill's dry cat food was recalled because it had the contaminated wheat gluten in it. I don't know if it's true or not. Iams sent me an e-mail that said they weren't included in the dry food recall since their dry kibble is made at a different place than the Kansas based MenuFoods plant.