BC Boards

What do you do with your dog when you are gone for extended periods of time?

RDM,

I agree with you. Most of my travel is to sheepdog trials so the dogs go with me, BUT I wouldn't have missed my trip to Wales last year just because I couldn't take the dogs, nor would I pass up something equally cool if the dogs couldn't go. I have to limit such trips because of the need for animal care other than the dogs (sheep, etc.), but I wouldn't give them up entirely!

J.

1. Whenever I can, I take them with me. LaQuinta is pet-friendly chainwide. The girls went to Atlanta with me last week on business.

2. Next substitute is my 82 year old Dad, who loves them and takes care of them (but is sometimes forgetful. If he forgets and leaves them too long without potty, they go in the house---in my bathroom, right next to the commode. You know---where WE potty. (Tell me BC's aren't the world's smartest dogs...).

3. I have a kennel 3/4 hour from my house to which I drive. They're nice, they know my vet personally, and they take very good care of the girls. They're my last resort (partly due to inconvenience, partly due to expense, partly due to the fact that I don't ever like to board my dogs), but if I'm gone for a long trip and they can't go (like my recent London trip), that's where they stay.

I'm leaving them in Dad's care this weekend; I'm going to Atlanta (again--groan) on business, and I'm sandwiching a football game (Arkansas/Auburn) in between. If it were cold, I'd just take the girls to the game with me (We're big Razorback fans; the girls and their cousins Frank, Jack, and Maggie been to football games in Baton Rouge, Auburn, Athens, Oxford, Gainesville, and Knoxville, and have been to the College World Series. All of those, though, featured cold temps. I'm afraid this weekend will be warm on the Plains...

In any event, that's what I do

Well, I am a total control freak when it comes to my dogs. When I got married I refused to board them and passed on a honeymoon in Sweden in favor of renting an RV and lumbering around the pacific NW with them. 2 are shelter dogs and 2 are abandoned dogs, so none of them are happy go lucky adaptable dogs who would fare well in a boarding situation. I simply went NO PLACE for years unless I could take my dogs. I finally broke free and hired a petsitter to stay overnights and come by midday for potty breaks, and had my first vacation in years ( I only took one dog and am screwing up the nerve to leave him home too on the next weekend getaway).

I have a friend who wasn't in a very good living arrangement, so she relished being able to come and stay at my house with my dogs. They're very low key, even the JRT would rather sit in your lap and snooze more than anything else. I don't let her walk them, because they're all terrors on a leash, just never could get it out of them. But they also have a reception for her that none of us get. She's a Reiki practitioner, if you all know what that is - a healing art without touching - and they seem to pick up on that immediatly. They actually close their eyes and smile when she comes in the door! Now that she's in her own place, I hope she'll still be as willing to stay with them, otherwise, I don't think I'll be going anywhere either!

Don't you find that limiting?

I think of all the wonderful things I have gotten to do - shark diving in Hawaii, scuba diving in Mexico, a soccer game in Italy, a 60's Weekender in Vegas - that required my dogs to stay behind. I adore my dogs, but they are just fine when I leave them for a week here or there to go travel!

LOL! I should have explained that I wouldn't go anywhere even if I didn't have dogs.

If pressed, I will go somewhere and leave my dogs with my mom. She adores them, they adore her, and my mom has offered countless times to keep them if my husband and I want a weekend away or whatever.

We just don't go anywhere much and never did even before we got Tess or Kipp. My husband is a miserable traveler. :eek: And I don't get on airplanes. I also hate to ride in the car.

Next summer, though, I plan some Big Adventures involving driving an entire HOUR from my home and taking Tess & Kipp camping. :rolleyes:

Allie + Tess & Kipp

http://weebordercollie.com