BC Boards

dog food grading system by Merck & Company

So glad Julie sent us to the older thread. I found the dog food project a good but scary read.

Again, I think the best we can do is educate ourselves and try to make good choices from what we've learned.

Just letting everyone know again, I in no way support the grading system I posted, I thought it was food for thought and discussion.

I don't know where I was in Jan. that I missed it when it was posted then. I forget to look at the other discussion areas. Time is always a premium here.

Kristen

I forgot to mention to those in AR, I have found Canidae at the co-op in Ft. Smith. I've had the local ones order it for me from there. If there are other Co-op's in AR I would thinke they could get it for you. The price was better than all the high end stuff I've tried before. Plus if you contact the manufacturer they send out frequent buyer deals and coupons.

Kristen

If you believe dogs should not eat corn or wheat because they are carnivores than these "credits" are bogus, these are all sources of plant protein or fat.. I wonder what makes one grain better than another? I suspect it is just a marketing spin since barley, oats, and rice are also grains.

Mark

Well, as far as corn goes, dogs don't digest corn very well. It practically passes right through a dog, thus it is of little nutritional value. So, if you feed dog food with a lot of corn in it to your dog, you'll get a lot of poop in return.

Well, as far as corn goes, dogs don't digest corn very well. It practically passes right through a dog, thus it is of little nutritional value. So, if you feed dog food with a lot of corn in it to your dog, you'll get a lot of poop in return.

Not according to research studies where the nutritional value (carbohydrates) were measured in the food and in the stools as they came out of the dog. According to these studies (if I'm remember correctly) 80-90% of the input was absorbed by the canine small intestine for all grains. Remember these grains are cooked by the manufacturing process.

Mark

Not according to research studies where the nutritional value (carbohydrates) were measured in the food and in the stools as they came out of the dog. According to these studies (if I'm remember correctly) 80-90% of the input was absorbed by the canine small intestine for all grains. Remember these grains are cooked by the manufacturing process.

Mark

http://www.dogfoodproject.com/index.php?page=betterproducts

Corn often gets an undeserved bad reputation. While it is not acceptable as a main source of protein in a dog food (as it is used in combination with corn gluten), as a source of carbohydrates it is no better and no worse than other grains in terms of nutritional value and digestibility. The starch part of corn is highly digestible but the whole ground product has a higher fiber content than other grains (around 7%), which results in slightly larger stools - often incorrectly interpreted as lack of digestibility. Unless an individual dog is intolerant or allergic to corn, there is no need to avoid products which include it in reasonable amounts.

I stand corrected. I fell victim to chiding corn unfairly, at least as a source of carbohydrates.