BC Boards

Is this usual behavior for a herding bc?

A couple of months ago we adopted a BC/Aussie from a rescue group and she is the love of our lives. She is a wonderful dog and we give her lots of love, attention and playtime and understand most of her behavior (herding the vaccum cleaner, lawn mower, etc) but one thing has us puzzled.....when lying down close to her or sitting in a chair leaning over talking to her, sometimes she will "butt" us with her nose....reminds of us a dolphin snout hitting a ball at Sea World.....is "nose butting" something they use during herding? (She has never snapped at us, only butted) Thanks for any enlightenment!

Oh yes! :rolleyes:

I think they're just "nicely asking" for attention :D . If Kessie thinks I'm doing the wrong thing with my hands (ie not scratching her belly) she will try to shovel me away from whatever I'm doing.

I don't think it's anything to do with herding (?).

Fergie gooses me whenever I go into a kitchen drawer at search for a utensil. Not if I just open the drawer and take out something - but if I have to push things around a bit. She'll appear from upstairs even.

My aussie does it all the time! If he wants attention or is curious about something he will poke it with his nose to see what will happen. If it moves or does something interesting he will stand for a moment cock his head back and forth and poke it again to see if whatever happened will happen again. I love it! It has given us moments of great entertainement watching him figure something puzzling out by poking it repeatedly. Also if he wants a treat that I am eating he will poke me in the thigh and then give me his very best cute aussie look and wiggle his stump...works everytime he has me well trained LOL. In fact he has taught my current foster BC to poke!

Zippy bumps the backs of my calves with his nose when I walk (but I think that's because he follows so close). Mitzi would actually reach around and alternately lick and bump my feet when I walked. My Stepmom's old corgi-esque dog that recently passed also did the calf bump thing - she thought because he was mostly blind. Not my Border Collies though. My BCs and Ginger don't bump me much - and any dog bumping for attention gets ignored at my house - or asked to do something before the pettings.

I call it my Border Collie alarm clock.

First its the nose bump to the face, if my eyes don't open then the next bump is abit harder and so on until i open my eyes.I really don't mind the "alarm clock bump" so much as it is quite accurate and immediately jumps off the bed as soon as i begin to stir.

Its that Slurping wet snooze alarm that always seems to manage to get right out of my reach that bugs me.