Search the Community
Showing results for tags 'liver'.
Found 2 results
Hi everyone~ Last time I posted was right around when Nalu turned 9 months old. Two weeks later, he and I were both in a severe head-on collision (a bank robber running from police drove into oncoming traffic and hit us going 90mph). Amazingly, we both survived. Me with severe injuries that took a year to heal from, and Nalu with bruising and some puppy PTSD. We were incredibly lucky. Nalu had to be taken care of by family for the next 3 months, and walked by others for the next year. He is now 2 years old, and we are both doing very well. Here's some more background info before I get to my question: when Nalu was 8 weeks old, he ate a Sago Palm tree seed--highly poisonous to dogs (which of course we didn't find out until after we rushed him to the vet with serious vomiting). The vet pumped his stomach and gave him something that soaked up the poison, and he ended up being fine. But since then, he has always had slight liver issues that we've kept an eye on. Okay, with that info in mind--because of his liver issues, I made sure to raise him on a very healthy diet, and get him plenty of exercise. He hadn't shown any signs of having problems, and his liver seemed to be improving until the accident. The people taking care of him while I was in rehab gave him whatever food they could find. At that point, I wasn't with it enough to know what was going on. When I got him back, I quickly got him back on a healthy diet, and his coat improved, but his liver had issues again. I got him on some medicine that brought it back to healthy levels. But it is crazy expensive to keep him on it. He has been eating Canidae All Life Stages, and has done well on it. But my vet recommends getting him on something that is not so stocked with protein if i don't keep him on the medicine. I could use some advice on what my next step should be. I really can't afford keeping him on the medicine (it's something like $120 a month). But want Nalu to be healthy. The vet recommended Costco brand food that has protein and sweet potato. Has anyone tried this?
Bett, my 15 month old was diagnosed with a PDA last month. It's slipped through the cracks of every vet she has seen (and there have been plenty, I'm her 5th home). Luckily she has not shown really any outward signs of chronic heart failure, besides slight exercise intolerance, yet. Vet said he suspects the symptoms to appear in the next 2-5 months. She's been on Enalapril for the past 2 weeks and we followed up with the recommended bloodwork on Friday. Yesterday the vet left a message with the results: electrolytes are fine, but now her ALT is highly elevated, it was normal in December. (her heart murmur has also increased from a 3 to a 5 in that time period). She has been on fluoxetine for the past 4 months, and trazodone recently. Cardiologist thought at first it might be the trazodone, but since she has only had 4 doses of the trazodone - we use it only once a week to help her through her reactive dog class, that seems unlikely to her. Apparently it's failure common for humans with CHF to also have liver problems, but I haven't found much info on that online regarding dogs. Logically, it seems the same would be true. I will be talking with her primary vet on Monday, but in the meantime was hoping someone here may have knowledge. Thanks! (Note to self: avoid getting blood work done on a Friday. The not being able to discuss this right away is making me obsess and spend to much time on google.)