Jump to content
BC Boards

Search the Community

Showing results for tags 'Breeder wants us to wait'.

  • Search By Tags

    Type tags separated by commas.
  • Search By Author

Content Type


  • Working Stockdogs
    • Training Discussion
    • Ask an Expert (Stockdog Questions Only)
    • Trial Tips
    • Training & Trialing Videos
    • Livestock Management
    • Trial and Clinic Announcements
    • Trial Results
    • Under the Handlers Tent
  • Other BC Topics
    • General Border Collie Discussion
    • Obedience, Agility, and Flyball
    • Health and Genetics
    • Politics and Culture
    • Rescue Resources & Dogs for Adoption
    • Books and Videos
    • The People's Border Collie Gallery
    • Coffee Break
    • In Memoriam
    • FAQs
    • Archived Threads
    • Gallery Archives
  • Private
    • ABCA Directors
    • ABCA Executive Committee
    • ABCA Health & Genetics Committee
    • BC Foundation
    • USBCHA Directors
    • USBCHA Cattledog Committee
    • USBCHA Coronavirus Committee
    • USBCHA Directors Complaint
    • USBCHA Grievance Committee
    • USBCHA Judging Committee
    • USBCHA Rules Committee
    • USBHCA World Trial Committee
    • KBCA/Bluegrass
    • TSDA/TCDA Board
    • USBCC Directors
  • Q & A Zone
    • Tech and Troubleshooting
    • Wishes and Suggestions

Find results in...

Find results that contain...

Date Created

  • Start


Last Updated

  • Start


Filter by number of...


  • Start





Website URL







Found 1 result

  1. Ok so, we have been on our search for a breeder. We found a very responsible breeder, that some of you recomended, and we were all set to get a pup from her, but unfortunately there wasn't enough pups born for us to get one. (on the x-ray it looked like there would be enough). She then recommended a breeder in Minnesota who she is friends with. Also, the mother of the litter we were originally going to get a pup from is the mother of the father of the litter in Minnesota (sorry that sentence was very confusing ). Anywho, thats not really important right now. So, she seems like a very responsible breeder, and although she is in Minnesota (we are in Michigan) if a drive is what it takes we are ok with that (although of course we would prefer one closer). One of the things we are concerned about is, she wants us to wait to spay (we want a girl) the pup until she is at least 2, preferably 3, years old before spaying her. Really we would prefer to spay her at around 6 months, thats what our vet recomends, but we are willing to spay at 1 or so, because I know its safer. But really, 3 years old? We have no knowledge of heat cycles or anything of the sort because we have always spayed at 6 months, so that would be a new challenge for us, and one we are willing to take if it is better for our dog. So what do you guys think, is 3 a little old? Should we just wait until she is 3 to spay her? Or should we try to talk the breeder down to 1 year or so? Or should we look for a different breeder? Any suggestions are welcome, and if we do wait past 6 months, we are going to need a lot of guidance for raising a intact female! Thanks for the help!
  • Create New...