BC Boards

David Lee Roth "Rocks the Flock"

While on tour (or some form of travels) a few years ago, he was planning on running a dog (or dogs) in a benefit trial in either Novice or Pro-Nov. The weather was ugly and things didn't work out, but he very graciously made a very generous donation (anonymously) to the cause for which the trial was raising funds.

So, no matter how else I might feel about this video or how unknowledgeable people might view it, I'll be grateful for his generosity to a cause.

Personally, I love it! So what if it is not 100% on track. I doubt I could make a video that would pass muster with all the experts.

What does come across clear as day, is that he loves his dogs. That he is fascinated by them. More power to him.

Is David Lee Roth someone I should have heard of?

I suppose I could Google the name .....

OK. Thank you Wikipedia. The only thing I know about Van Halen is Jump so no wonder I'd never heard of him. Philip Roth yes. I now know that the subject of this thread is nearly as old as I am. My fact for the day.

Part of Van Halen? Vocalist? (Not that I could tell you anything they've done.)

He is a pretty big American rock star, was previously and now again lead singer for the band Van Halen. They were huge in the late 70s and early 80s. He was known for his flamboyant stage performances and womanizing.

van-halen-fashion.gif

Okay, so maybe the nationals comments were just bluster or wishful thinking. I didn't think the video was terrible, but some of what he said seemed a bit off the wall. But like many of us, apparently he's been bitten by the bug, so more power to him.

It's definitely a change from his rock days!

J.

He was known for his flamboyant stage performances and womanizing.

Weren't they all in that era?

Just shows how one country's huge stars can be another's one hit wonder. It works both ways I know.

At least if he's ever the subject of a "Where are they now?" TV programme we have an idea of the answer.

Thanks for trying to educate me, and thanks Sue R.

Van Halen were a lot of things (and so near and dear to my old teenaged heart), but being a one-hit wonder was not one of them. And they weren't unknown in the UK--they weren't as mainstream there as in the States, but they had a huge worldwide fan base for years and years back in the day.

I would love to meet David Lee Roth out on the trial field one day.

Van Halen were a lot of things (and so near and dear to my old teenaged heart), but being a one-hit wonder was not one of them. And they weren't unknown in the UK--they weren't as mainstream there as in the States, but they had a huge worldwide fan base for years and years back in the day.

I would love to meet David Lee Roth out on the trial field one day.

Sorry - 2 hit wonders in the UK, which is what I was referring to. Depends what you define as a hit though. 2 top 20 places (7 and 8), 6 top 40 places in total, 15 top 100.

I had heard of the band, I'm just not familiar with their music or line up.

Apologies to going OT but I just wanted to clear that up.

Sorry - 2 hit wonders in the UK, which is what I was referring to. Depends what you define as a hit though. 2 top 20 places (7 and 8), 6 top 40 places in total, 15 top 100.

I had heard of the band, I'm just not familiar with their music or line up.

Apologies to going OT but I just wanted to clear that up.

Wow. It must be tough, having to give the Union Jack perspective all the time on an American border collie board. Quite a burden you've taken on. Ah well, whatever keeps one amused, I suppose. :blink:

Laura, I went to two Van Halen shows, as well as a DLR show after he left VH. It would be so awesome to see him on the run order! I know one of the dogs he runs now - he's a good old Alberta dog.

That is way cool, Kristi!

They aren't a top 40 band, mum. And, well, it is quite possible that you were not quite their target demographic.

I did live in the UK for a few years and had several friends there who listened to Van Halen. Ah, the eighties ;-)