BC Boards

Julie Simpson Book

TEC

Recently read a good sheepdog training book by Julie Simpson, “The Natural Way” (2003), Publisher: Bishop Wilton, York : WSN, 2003.

Simpson is a British author, who trials, clinics, judges, farms, and in her younger years was a shepherdess. I like it for the detailed discussion of all trial skills and how to train them, as well as descriptions of training interesting farms tasks which may not be seen competitively. Numerous diagrams of maneuvers. She continually integrates little bits and pieces of advanced skills into beginning and intermediate dogs’ training, so that the dog has foundation already for new material she introduces.

Simpson has an entire chapter on allowing the dog, from time to time, to work sheep in the way the dog deems appropriate, so that he/she does not become robotic/mechanical. Few commands. The exercise is done periodically after basic training is put on the dog, but soon in its development, as a sort of break in disciplined work. It’s used to maintain the dog’s instincts, and keep him/her thinking for itself.

The natural way of training, according to Simpson, involves setting-up training scenarios for dog's/handler's success. Little, if any, after-the-fact correction. She has sections on problem solving, which generally involve moving back a few steps in training progression, to reinforce a previous skill.

Lots of interesting anecdotes about farming, training and trialling. A practical book I recommend as a good read. -- Kind Regards, TEC

I can not find this book anywhere

Where did you buy it?

I searched on the internet and found the same results you apparently did. Amazon lists it, but says the book is unavailable. I borrowed it from an excellent trainer who I work with. I will keep looking and update, if/when a source is located. In the meantime here is a library search site, from which you can enter your zip code to find libraries near you that have it.

http://www.worldcat.org/title/natural-way/oclc/55886590

It's a shame "The Natural Way" is so hard to find. IMHO, the book is a real gem. -- TEC

I can not find this book anywhere
Where did you buy it?

Julie's name is now Julie Simpson-Hill and here is her website:

http://www.nethhillbordercollies.co.uk/index.php/merchandise.html

The site says her book is currently out of stock, and that a new edition is coming soon, along with a DVD.

I have no connection with the lady, except as someone who learned a lot from her book, "The Natural Way", (2003). I am unbiased recommending that those interested contact her through the website to encourage a new edition. It's a good one. -- TEC

My trainer lent me her copy. I really liked it, but was unable to find a copy for myself new or used. I did stumble across Julie's website a couple of months ago, and was thrilled to see that a new edition might be coming out. I strongly recommend this book too!

Archived