BC Boards

Interesting alternative to metronidazole or fenbendazole for giardia.

I had mentioned this in the sheep/livestock forum, but don't think anyone was too interested ;-) but I know a lot of you are concerned about over medicating/drugging, chemical worming etc...well I came across this by accident, I have an old horse that had been having reoccurent bouts of pretty severe diharrea, I'd tried everything to clear it up, nothing worked. In addition he was lethargic, didn't really seem to have much of an appetite, and just kind of depressed. I came across an aticle on line suggesting feeding coconut maacaroons;-) yeah that's what I thought :rolleyes: Well I figured what the heck, couldn't hurt him, cookies are cheap...Well I gave him 2 cookies on a Sat. afternoon,by Sun. morning he was sig. firmer (it had be liquid) by Monday he was totally fine, and back to normal. I've had him on the cookies for about 6 weeks now, and since then he's perked up, appetite is back, not standing around looking depressed anymore...Did some more research on coconut and turns out it's pretty amazing stuff. THe lauric acid in the coconut has all kinds of benefits. It's an antimocrobial, anti bacterial, anti viral and antifungal...the list goes on, but if only half of what they say is true, then man sign me up! ;-) The other day Stelly came back from our run, and had pretty bad diharrea (not sure if it was something in the pond water... Lauric acid is suppoesd to kill giardia, so I thought I'd check out, I tossed a handful of shaved c in with her kibble...next morning she was back to normal. I've started putting a little coconut in all the dogs feed now, as we go down to the pond quite a bit...they also claim it will kill tape worms...I'd really be curious to check that out too. There are a lot more things of interest about the C oil, and I encourage you all to do a little reading up on it, and see if it's not something you might want to think about supplementing your dogs with...Here is the info. on giardia, I thought it was kind of interesting.

http://cat.inist.fr/?aModele=afficheN&cpsidt=17146659

Now this is cool! My dog is a mud-hog and she gets the trots from it sometimes, especially at the beginning of the rainy season. Can't wait to see if coconut sorts her out.

I have always felt that cookies have a therapeutic value - I am glad that there is anecdotal evidence that I was right. Too bad I am out of cookies right now. I must remedy that. And I like coconut on ice cream - that's a good reason to eat more ice cream.

Anyway, thanks! I wish I'd been able to give that a try for Bute and his digestive issues...

Sue it might have worked , as they reoccomend coconut for people with Crohn's disease (and this is Doctors suggesting they supplement) . It's also touted as a weight loss aid. Evidently it speeds up your metabolism...

Yes, def. get the shaved or shredded coconut with no sugar (not in the baking section) try the produce section, that's where I get mine. Also there are two oils, one is the heat processed oil, which you can find in most grocery stores, and it's ok, I use it to cook with...but the oil you really want is the cold pressed virgin oil, (hasn't had all the good stuff cooked out of it) it's more expensive, of course ;-) and you can find it in most health food stores....a gal I know that has horses told me that whenever they have a colt with scours or is a little run down, she;ll give them about 12cc's of oil, and it fixes them right up...I know this sounds whacky, but it's cheap enough and since I only have 12 sheep, I may try dosing them with a little c oil as well ;-) can't hurt....

Interesting. Your comments here made me go back and look in the livestock section, where I never saw your original post. I don't usually keep coconut on hand, but might get some just as an experiment. It's got to be less hard on the liver than metronodazole anyway!

J.

I haven't ever noticed unsweetened coconut in the grocery stores (haven't really looked for it either) but I do know it's easy to find in the health food store as dried, unsweetened coconut.

Coconut, yum...

Interesting. Your comments here made me go back and look in the livestock section, where I never saw your original post. I don't usually keep coconut on hand, but might get some just as an experiment. It's got to be less hard on the liver than metronodazole anyway!

J.

I put that in there a few weeks ago...I just had such good results with my old horse...I was/am pretty amazed. Don't you have a dog with cancer? You might try getting some of the C oil and putting it in his/her diet. It's supposed to be really good for the immune system...hey it sure can't hurt...

Here is a bit more on C oil.

Saturated fats found in coconut oil are used in the body as an important source of energy and an integral part of the cell membrane structure. Short to medium chain fatty acids are more water soluble than longer chain fatty acids and thus require less energy for the body to absorb and utilize. They are freely absorbed into the bloodstream and are thus an important source of energy, raising the metabolism of the body. Furthermore, this reduced metabolic load allows the liver to optimise its detoxifying functions, bile production and regulating of blood sugar levels.

Short and medium chain fatty acids contained in virgin coconut oil such as Caprylic (C8), Capric (C10) and Lauric (C12) have been found to have strong anti-viral, anti-bacterial and anti-protozoal properties and are essential building blocks in boosting the bodies immune system. The essential fatty acids in coconut oil have been shown to be active in combating Candida Albicans. Furthermore, the digested form of lauric acid, monolaurin, has been shown to be active against lipid-coated viruses and has shown to be a successful resource for the reduction of the viral load in HIV patients.

The consumption of saturated fat in the form of coconut oil has shown to assist in regulating the healthy functioning of the thyroid gland and combating hypothyroid-like symptoms such as fatigue, weight gain, and water-retention that may arise through a modern diet high in polyunsaturated fats.

Shorter chain fatty acids have a lower calorific value per gram of fat and thus coconut oil may assist in weight loss due to the lower consumption of calories when taking in the daily recommended intake of fats for the healthy functioning of the body. The consumption of shorter chain fatty acids in coconut oil also assists in weight loss due to their ability to help people feel satiated.

I was not able to find the dosage of dodecanoic acid (common name: lauric acid) used in the study, but I wonder if it was greater than the amount typically contained in foods such as unsweetened coconut, coconut oil, or macaroons? Is lauric acid available over the counter in a pure form? Does anyone know the dosage used in the study, and whether there were any side effects reported?

Sonja

• 2 weeks later...

Okay, Betty, I now have a bag of dried, unsweetened coconut (from the health food store) and a container of the virgin, cold-pressed oil. So, what would you recommend for a dog with "looseness"? My Celt has had several days of diarrhea, which is very unusual for him. I'm wondering if it's a function of jumping in the stock tank after hard exercise and drinking the water - which has only been happening for a short time, hmm. The other dog, who jumps in also but doesn't tend to take more than maybe a lap or two of water is not having any looseness.

Meanwhile, I'm plotting eating more ice cream with coconut and more Mounds bars in an effort to raise my metabolism and lose weight - think it will work? I wonder how much I'll need to eat to make a difference...

Okay, Betty, I now have a bag of dried, unsweetened coconut (from the health food store) and a container of the virgin, cold-pressed oil. So, what would you recommend for a dog with "looseness"? My Celt has had several days of diarrhea, which is very unusual for him. I'm wondering if it's a function of jumping in the stock tank after hard exercise and drinking the water - which has only been happening for a short time, hmm. The other dog, who jumps in also but doesn't tend to take more than maybe a lap or two of water is not having any looseness.

Meanwhile, I'm plotting eating more ice cream with coconut and more Mounds bars in an effort to raise my metabolism and lose weight - think it will work? I wonder how much I'll need to eat to make a difference...

Well I just toss a small handful of the dried coconut in in with their kibble, or just feed it to them by hand. You can also just take a butter knife and get about a teaspoons worth of the oil and put that in their bowl, either way seems to work (at least it did with my dogs) and they seem to love it.

Mmmmm mounds bars, haven't had one of those in years!

Toast the coconut first, it makes it incredibly more yummy. Good on cereal, as well.

Ruth

Well, Betty, it must work like magic because I brought home $20 worth of oil and coconut - haven't fed either yet - and the diarrhea is gone! Hopefully, if I keep it in the house, it will act as a preventative measure...

And, Ruth, you are right - toasted is yummy! The granola I used to make had coconut and sunflower seeds and walnuts, and I used almond flavoring instead of vanilla. So good! Ed makes it now but leaves out the coconut, and it just doesn't do it for me any more.

• 3 months later...

In researching this further, a friend found this paper from a Canadian Journal of Animal Science. I will be getting some C Oil this week! There is a whole study on it for sheep and cattle from KSU - quite the find as we were discussing this for her mothers Sheltie :rolleyes:

Effects of Coconut Oil on Rumen Microbes

Most of the effects of coconut oil found in the present study can be explained by its influence on rumen microbes. The pronounced reduction (P < 0.05) in numbers of rumen ciliate protozoa with the use of coconut oil (88 and 97% for 3.5 and 7% coconut oil) agrees with other results. Feeding 40 g coconut oil to sheep, Sutton et al. (1983) noted a 90% reduction in protozoa numbers. Newbold and Chamberlain (1988)

classified coconut oil as a rumen-defaunating agent, which is even more potent than linseed oil. Matsumoto et al. (1991) demonstrated a particular sensitivity of the rumen ciliate protozoa to the MCFA C10:0 to C14:0, with lauric acid (C12:0) being particularly prevalent in coconut oil.

There are a lot more things of interest about the C oil, and I encourage you all to do a little reading up on it, and see if it's not something you might want to think about supplementing your dogs with...Here is the info. on giardia, I thought it was kind of interesting.

http://cat.inist.fr/?aModele=afficheN&cpsidt=17146659

MSM is also very effective against giardia. I have had several dogs come down with giardia and now put MSM powder in their food twice a day. No more giardia.

http://www.msm-info.com/

Jen

ADCH Enna TM - Silver, SACH, GCH, SCH, JCH, RCH, MX, MXJ - rescued champion

Rising Sun's Hot to the Touch - aka: Fever - retired due to epilepsy

Flute AAD, AX, OAJ, OAC, OGC, NAJ - retired

Ignited's Molten Rush, aka: Lava - BC puppy in training

Kasi EAC,EGC,EJC, OA,OAJ - (1992-2007)

I didn't see what the appropriate dosage of c-oil is for horses. What is recommended? I bought some today and I plan on starting my old guy on it.

Actually for my horse I just feed him coconut macaroons, a couple tossed in with his feed every morning. The dogs get oil and or flakes.

Since Otis is cushingoid, I can't give him sweets. I gave him a few tablespoons of virgin c-oil mixed in his beet pulp last night and he scarfed it right down. Wouldn't touch it when I used to add ground flax, so fingers crossed. Thanks Betty.

Since Otis is cushingoid, I can't give him sweets. I gave him a few tablespoons of virgin c-oil mixed in his beet pulp last night and he scarfed it right down. Wouldn't touch it when I use to add ground flax, so fingers crossed. Thanks Betty.

Ahh gotcha'. I don't give my dogs the cookies because of the sugar either. But a tablespoon of the oil or a handful of the flakes (unsweetend) is what I give the dogs.

Archived