BC Boards

helping my border collie be happy

Hello, I'm new to these boards, and new to border collies. I adopted Jack about a month ago. He is six and a half years old, was bred by a reputable breeder who produces working dogs (I had a brief chat with his breeder), but has been a family pet all his life, and a fairly sedentary one. His family gave him up because they'd leave him alone in the back yard during the day, and he'd get bored and let himself out, and the neighbors were getting irritated.

Since I took custody of Jack, I've been giving him lots of exercise and stimulation. I take him to the dog park just about every day, and I walk him usually three times a day, totalling at least two hours. He really seems to enjoy and look forward to this exercise.

My main concern right now may be kind of a dopey one. I'm just not sure he's happy, and I don't know what I can do. He certainly seems content, and not anxious. He doesn't chew things or dig or whine. But he often looks like he wants something, and I don't know what it is. (I'm not saying I'll necessarily give him whatever he wants, but I'd like to know what it is that he wants.)

My dog experience has mostly been with labradors and beagles (and mixes thereof), and a little bit with my cousins' Siberian Husky and Cairn Terrier. I've really never been around a collie of any sort, or a herding dog. Maybe border collies are just not exuberant in the way I'm expecting?

Jack doesn't "play" much. He has a few stuffed animals that he sometimes likes to basically rip apart. Once in a while, he'll bring the stuffed animal over to me, drop it in front of me, and look up at me. Yet, when that happens, I can't seem to interact with him in any way. I try shaking the toy, tossing it, hiding it and showing it to him, anything I can think of, and he just looks at me like, "What?". I would describe his attitude towards tennis balls as "contemptuous".

I'm not complaining or disappointed in Jack. If he just doesn't play with humans, and the behavior I'm seeing is him being completely happy, then that will be great. I just am not sure if that's what's going on. Thanks for any advice!

First, welcome to the BC boards!

After only a month with you, it's possible that Jack is still settling in. This process can take a while for some dogs.

Here's my advice:

BC's are bred to take commands from humans (for herding). Use this to your advantage and teach him some silly tricks. Yes, these tricks won't have any purpose per say, but they can keep a dog mentally stimulated when he might otherwise be bored. I keep a running list of all of the tricks my dog knows, and we rotate thru them all every few days. We're always working on new ones, too. This can be a great way to bond with a dog and build confidence as well. We use clicker training, but that's not everyone's cup of tea. Start with basic obedience and then as you get better, add tricks like spin, spin backwards, bow, speak, quiet, roll over, play dead, around (you), touching a target plate, beg, etc. You can play "find it" by throwing treats and having the dog find them using his nose (more challenging in the grass!). Another favorite game of ours is the toy game - teach your dog the names of all of his toys and then make him fetch the right one on command. This never gets old, because you can always add more toys or other objects.

If your dog is food motivated, try a treat-dispensing toy. I like Busy Buddy's line of toys a lot, because most of them will hold up to strong chewers. You can find toys that the dog pushes around with paws/nose and toys that release food slowly when chewed. We have a small army of these types of toys lying around, and I generally stuff one or two per day for my dog.

Even though your dog isn't showing much interest in the ball, stick with it. Even short rolls in the house along the floor, if that's what it takes. Sometimes it can take a while to instill an interest in moving objects.

Good luck!

It could be a couple different things.

First thing I would think of is that he's nervous or misses his old home. If he was with the other family for six years its a huge change for him to go through and a month isn't long at all for a change like that. Sometimes it can take them six moths or better to figure things out. He may just be trying to get used to his new life.

Second he may feel sick or have something wrong with him. If he doesn't get better a trip to the vet may be your answer.

Third he may just be a really laid back border collie. I have two and they both have totally different energy levels. Black Jack is pretty quiet unless he's playing and Teebo is hyper 24_7. Each dog is different. I would give him more time to get used to his new house and life. And take some pics too!

Hi John, and welcome to the boards. Jack is probably in heaven just for the fact that he has a person who's actually interacting with him. As F&D said, border collies were bred to work with a human, and what they want more than anything is to be *with* their human, so by the very fact that you spend a lot of time with him, you're probably making him pretty happy. A month isn't much time to settle in, and more of his personality will come out with time. Border collies are well-known for their stare; just because he's staring at you doesn't necessarily mean he wants something more (though it could--you just never know with these dogs sometimes).

If you really want him to learn to play with toys, you'll just need to keep at it. My first border collie, who will be 13 this year (I got her at 18 months), was sent to me by the rescue with the note "does not play with toys." Nothing could have been further from the truth. Once she finally had a place where she could be comfortable and her life was settled, she becasme a demon frisbee and ball dog. She loves to swim after toys, and yes, she destroys anything stuffed. So my advice is to enjoy Jack for who he is, give him more time to settle in and get used to you, and just keep trying to introduce things until you find something that he really likes. It sounds like he's getting plenty of physical exercise, but don't forget the mental side either. As F&D noted, trick training can tire a dog faster than you could ever hope to do with physical exercise. Plus it's just cool to teach him new things.

Good luck. I think you're going to find that you'll never want another type of dog again! :rolleyes:

J.

As others have said, it's only been a month. He is still settling in with you. If he spent the first 6 years mostly on his own and not doing a lot, he is learning a new way of interacting with the world around him and with his person. He's probably also building muscles and stamina. My 4 year old Border Collie doesn't get half of what your boy does in terms of exercise. I consider him a high drive dog but he's a very laid back guy around the house. He is a very enthusiastic dog, always ready to do something, as are most Border Collies I've met. However, some Border Collies are actually mellow, I hear. My guess is as Jack settles in and bonds with you, he will start to show more "oomph."

If you haven't taken him to the vet, I agree with that suggestion. Just to make sure he is healthy and sound. I would also talk to him a good deal. It is amazing what these dogs can pick up. People are often a little stunned when they see me speak conversationally to Quinn and he responds as if he understands every word. I don't think he does but he knows a lot of them. When he was a pup, I used to joke that I talking to him so one day he could return my DVDs and pick up pizza for me. We haven't reached that level yet but he is quick to pick up things I drop, put away his toys, get the phone for me, etc. Training simple commands or tricks can be fun for both of you and also a great way to bond.

Good luck and have fun with your boy. This is a very special breed. Jack is lucky he found you. :rolleyes:

Jack doesn't "play" much. He has a few stuffed animals that he sometimes likes to basically rip apart. Once in a while, he'll bring the stuffed animal over to me, drop it in front of me, and look up at me. Yet, when that happens, I can't seem to interact with him in any way. I try shaking the toy, tossing it, hiding it and showing it to him, anything I can think of, and he just looks at me like, "What?". I would describe his attitude towards tennis balls as "contemptuous".

I'm not complaining or disappointed in Jack. If he just doesn't play with humans, and the behavior I'm seeing is him being completely happy, then that will be great. I just am not sure if that's what's going on. Thanks for any advice!

It can take even six months for a dog to really settle in and relax. In the early days, he's basically reading you, learning how you react to things and then he's adjust his own behavior to protect himself. I'm not surprised that he's watching you...he's learning your schedule, how you move, that kind of thing. It's not a bad thing that he doesn't want to chase a tennis ball -- my husband says he wore out his rotor cuff tossing a ball for Ladybug.

If his previous owner didn't interact with him all that much, he probably doesn't know how to play...plus it seems he's been alone too much and probably yelled at when he did try to play, or entertain himself because when a Border Collie is alone that much, its usually something destructive. He just wants to feel safe, and happy and he's not yet sure he can relax around you.

When he brings you a toy, you might want to try playing with it yourself, without involving him...say thank you in a soft, excited voice, toss it up in the air and catch it yourself making happy noises; hide it and say "Oh, there it is!!", that kind of thing. Then, you could try giving it back to him. It sounds like a tentative overture and he's just not ready for the next step yet. Maybe he got yelled at for bringing things back over and over again, which Border Collies do to the point of obsession.

Give him a biscuit and praise him when he brings you a toy....if he already brings things, you could teach him how to put it in a basket (we use a plastic milk crate). It's very useful when a dog can pick up his or her own toys...that can eventually transfer to useful things like picking up socks :rolleyes: but try it with old ones first. I've got a few with holes in them as they aren't giving them up quite soon enough (mostly my husband's but he doesn't know it yet :D...

You'll eventually find things that turn him on...different kinds of toys, balls of different textures. The Orka balls are interesting. If you don't have other dogs, try one of those treat balls. The dog pushes it around with his nose and treats fall out. I used a different kind of dog food. The idea of tossing a biscuit and saying "find it" is great too.

As for the stuffies...I've given up on picking up polyester fluff....I bought one of those things that looked like a skinned rabbit. That lasted about an hour and its now shredded in three pieces, which is convenient as I have three dogs. But it gets expensive! From now on, I'm just going to the fabric store and buying a yard or so of furry fabric and cutting it into pieces, tying it into knots and let them go at it.

You can however, make a collection of the stuffies, and introduce them slowly as a game, teaching him the names -- "get lion" "find bear" -- that kind of thing - Eespecially if he brings things to you. Then, pick them up when the game is through and hide them. Ladybug found the collection that I was using with Robin and sadly duck, lion, rabbit, and bear are no more....gotta wait for yard sales!

So glad you have such a nice dog. When he gets to know you, he'll be very grateful that you are his person because you care so much!

Liz

Hi and Welcome!

I agree with everything that has been posted so far. He's 6.5, led a sedentary life and kept out in the back yard. There is a good chance no one ever played with him or interacted with him in the way you are trying to. Don't be discouraged though, they do learn. Just keep at it! I get a few adult foster dogs who were strays most of their life and they all learn to play. Sometimes it's kinda awkward, but they try to figure it out!

Have fun.

Have you tried a Jolly Ball? The one with the rope through it, not the handle. I would quess there are some border collies that don't like that toy- but not many. You may wish that you never gave it to him- once he is hooked he will bug you incredibly to throw it. Good luck. Plus - post a picture - you boy looks like my Cody.

You've gotten some great feedback. Jack is really just trying to make sense of his new world. He may turn out to be very playful, or kind of in the middle, or really not interested. He may pick one toy that he's totally enamored of, he may turn anything he can fit into his mouth something to be tossed and fetched.

For right now, some specific training for tricks or behaviors will help him get used to you and learn how to communicate with you better - and you with him. If you do a search on the board for trick training, you'll get all kinds of ideas.

Oh, and we'd all like to see some pictures, please.

Ruth

Have you tried a Jolly Ball? The one with the rope through it, not the handle. I would quess there are some border collies that don't like that toy- but not many. You may wish that you never gave it to him- once he is hooked he will bug you incredibly to throw it. Good luck. Plus - post a picture - you boy looks like my Cody.

That is the favorite ball of all our gang...there's so much they can do with it, toss, tug, chew on the rope and the rubber ball itself. It is Robin's special favorite toy. Ladybug likes anything that squeaks and Brodie likes anything that he's given, but especially a smaller ball thta he can carry around - the Powzer Glow Ball -- it's not heavy like other lighted balls as it's soft enough to chew on, but particularly indestructible. It picks up the glow from ambient light. It's a little bit bigger than a tennis ball. We've had one last for three years.

I'm also on the hunt for the big Jolly ball (without handles) that you can fill with water or gravel and let them roll it around the yard -- I don't want the one with the handle -- they'll chew that off in about five minutes. Ken also made a tug rope out of that plastic plumber's pipe and attached a rope to it. It did have a frisbee attached to it with a bungee cord, but that didn't last more than a week. Robin hangs from the tug rope like a side of beef, so its' broken a couple of times.

In the past, we've hung a tether ball in the apple tree - Ladybug's particular favorite. She'll go at that for hours. This is a photo taken in summer 2008 of my beautiful (late) Scotty Bear....and what used to be the tether ball. They don't last too long but there's multiple layers to go through. He and Ladybug (in the background) were good at taking turns - and yes, he was twice as big as she is.

Ahh...the fun toys that are out there...you and Jack have a world of discovery ahead!

post-10125-1264968887_thumb.jpg

Thanks for all the advice! It had occurred to me that Jack would get more used to me with time, and that he has gotten more used to me in the past month, but it's always reassuring to have people who've been through it confirm the "getting adjusted" period.

Everyone had great advice, but the one thing I've already seen results from is this:

When he brings you a toy, you might want to try playing with it yourself, without involving him...say thank you in a soft, excited voice, toss it up in the air and catch it yourself making happy noises; hide it and say "Oh, there it is!!", that kind of thing. Then, you could try giving it back to him.

I didn't "give" it back to him, I tossed it a few feet from him, and he pounced on it. It was pretty adorable.

I just wanted to say a little more about his background. I actually found him on Craigslist. His former "mother" and I had many communications, and Jack paid a visit to my house, before we both agreed on the transfer. She was not looking to dump the dog with just anyone. She asked if I would be willing to provide periodic updates on how Jack was doing, and I said I would and in fact they could visit Jack. She and her 15 year old son (on whose bed Jack used to sleep) visited after one week.

The main reason I actually wanted them to visit was because I wanted to see how they played with Jack. It pretty much seemed like they didn't. But they were not distant, either, and I really really doubt there was every any kind of abuse. They seem like an extremely subdued family. They petted Jack and seemed very happy to see him.

I guess the only reasons I'm bringing this up is (1) someone suggested he might have been abused, but I really don't think that's the case, and (2) there are other questions about his background, and I am still in touch with his old family and I could try to get answers. Oh yeah, and (3) someone suggested that he misses his old family. I assume at some point they'll want to visit again, though I'm concerned that it also could be confusing to him. Any thoughts on that?

Hi John,

Welcome to the boards and the world of Border Collies!!

You have received some terrific advice on playing. You mentioned Jack 'always seems to want something'. I grew up with Black Labs and my first dog as an adult was a beagle cross. I find with our Border Collie's they always have an eye on you or know what you are up to. Our older dog (now 12) has just recently (last 2 years) stopped 'watching' me - she still follows me from room to room but I think she sleeps more deeply - our younger dog (3.5), no matter where he is in the house seems to have an 'eye' on me (I can feel it from another room :rolleyes:.

When I met my husband years ago (a Golden Retriever man) he asked if you ever got used to the 'watching'. I think it is just something Border Collies do and can be perceived as wanting something.

Now though, when they seem to want something, they do, a bathroom break, water, or their clocks are telling them it is dinner time or time for a walk (they are usually right). But it has taken years to get to know these signs.

I agree that Jack needs time to settle in and that you may need to teach him to play, but I have also found Border Collies to be.... well.... a little bit different :D

All the best of luck and Have fun with him!!