BC Boards

I hate to say I told ya so but...

Today has been a rather odd day. I'm at work, minding my own business, when I get a call on my cell phone from a number I don't recognize. I answer it and much to my surprise....it was the people we talked to about a year ago in Pet Pad in Cary NC when they were purchasing a border collie.

For a refresher...here's the thread on that. http://www.bordercollie.org/boards/index.p...=21835&st=0 in a summary...Steven and I had been hovering over this dog, offering the pet store to take him off their hands (we used to go to this petstore for feeder mice we have since adopted out the snake). Anywho, we were in there again for more mice when we met this family. They were buying the pup for their boys. We unloaded on them. Gave them tons of resources to look into, including these boards, and even our contact information for play dates or questions down the road. And if anything should happen to call us first before bringing the puppy to the pound or anything like that.

Well lets just say she doesn't want to meet up for a play date. Puppy, now Lucky, is herding and biting her younger son (and other neighborhood kids). From the sound of it, he doesn't get much exercise, and has formed an obsession over this younger child and pretty much won't let him move. Awesome. So she asks me if we can take him. (he's also not neutered...double yay!) After discussing it with Steven it looks like we'll be taking him in. Our intentions is just as a foster but we'll see how it goes, we have toyed with the idea of adding another boy to our group. It depends on how everything works out in the end. I'll post an update and perhaps pics soon.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It would be interesting to know who the pup's breeder is. Is Hunte Corp. into border collies? -- or might he be an Amish bred dog -- just curious.

Thank goodness you gave those people your contact information. If these people learned any lesson it would probably be not to get another border collie and not that a pet store isn't a place to buy a pup.

Wow. That's crazy, and yet, not surprising. :rolleyes: I'm glad you and Steven are going to be helping the dog and hopefully the family learned a valuable lesson, but probably not.

I can't wait to see pics! And I hope all goes well, whether or not he stays a foster.

Me bad...just thinking that a good arrangement would be that you take possession of him directly from the vet after they make the arrangements and pay for him being neutered and brought up to date on shots.

Deb

Oh sorry, should have mentioned that. He is up to date on shots and they will be giving us money for his neuter. Hopefully his issues are something we can work through. I'm sure with a stable environment and 3 stable dogs to learn from he'll take great strides. Thanks everyone, I hope they've learned a lesson too. They may not have someone to bail them out next time.

Oh sorry, should have mentioned that. He is up to date on shots and they will be giving us money for his neuter. Hopefully his issues are something we can work through. I'm sure with a stable environment and 3 stable dogs to learn from he'll take great strides. Thanks everyone, I hope they've learned a lesson too. They may not have someone to bail them out next time.

Good deal!!

That's pretty much how I ended up with my aussie.

The woman, single mom with a 3 year old son, worked all day, crated the dog all day long got this aussie because "she likes the look of the aussie". hmm... She was having problems keeping the poor dog in the yard, having problems with the dog being aggressive around her food, etc. She came to me for advice and the last time I saw the woman I told her to call me if she decides to get rid of the dog. I had a feeling.... She finally did when the dog ended up biting her kid in the face!

That's how I ended up with incredible Gypsy. (yes, incredible! is a bit guardy with food but this dog has ended up being one of the best pets, obedience partners, agility partners and in general just a fun dog with never once any kind of issue)

The story is even more incredible. I have since moved from the area and would send updates about Gypsy to the woman every now and then when I thought of it. It's been nearly 7 years of not hearing from this woman and she's recently looked me up asking for help. Guess what? Surprise! She's married and has expanded her family to include a set of twins! No wait.... she has another aussie bitch and no wait.... bred the dog! There's more. One of the male puppies came back because of a broken home and now she's in a meltdown because the dogs aren't getting along.

Ugh! I don't even know what to say other than I could have had another aussie if I really wanted.

The woman didn't learn a thing!! This just irks me to no end :rolleyes:

I'm so glad you saved that puppy from that home. Hope everything works out. Good luck.

Well the transition went well. The family was very sad to see Lucky go. We introduced him to the pups in a neutral area to try and make the transition easier and then we let them hang out in the back yard for a little bit to get to know each other. He seems interested in the cat but not too much more. We spent the evening with him tied around our waist by his leash. Until he gets neutered he won't have much freedom. We went on a walk with him and he pups and he did alright. I don't think he had much leash training before. Anywho, more updates to follow. Here's a couple photos of him. He's still a big puppy. His records show he was born on Sept 17th.

IMG_7186.jpg

IMG_7190.jpg

IMG_7192.jpg

That's interesting I didn't even notice that it looks like a heart from this angle. It's actually a nice big black dot in the middle of his blaze. Steven doesn't mind the name, I hate it. I was thinking of something like Loki, something easy for him to transition to. I've gotta get his neuter appointment set up soon before he drives the other pups nuts (no pun intended). He is certainly hormone driven and doesn't know how to take "back the F off" for an answer.

He must have been abused by that family, as soon as you grab him to put his leash on he's flattens out (on his belly type thing). I feel bad for the poor pup. I hope we can build up his confidence and obedience.

On a side note, we never realized how broad Gunnar has gotten! Compared to Lucky, he so beefy!

ETS: I can't spell...

Guest echoica

he is so handsome! i love his ears!!! :rolleyes: you should definitely change his name to give him a fresh start - he might have some negative associations with his current name!

I'm sure glad you guys were there to meet them and talk to them or who knows where he would have ended up now. Who knew then that he would need you and end up with you guys. He's sure a lucky little boy. Thanks for taking a chance with him and bringing him into your home. Can't wait for more pictures.

It would be interesting to know who the pup's breeder is. Is Hunte Corp. into border collies? -- or might he be an Amish bred dog -- just curious.

He could have been bred by anyone who supplies to Hunte.

In terms of registries (and "registries"), this is from Hunte Corp's website:

Registration Options

Most Hunte Puppies are AKC Registered

AKC American Kennel Club

ABA American Bulldog Assn

ABCA American Border Collie Assn

ACA American Canine Assn

APR American Pet Registry

ARRB American Registry of Rare Breeds

ASCA Australian Shepherd Club of America

CKC Continental Kennel Club

DRA Dog Registry of America