BC Boards

Eating dirt

Lucia is eating dirt like crazy. Not dry dirt, just mud. Laps it up like chocolate. It's getting really annoying. She'll stop in the middle of play, a hike, while waiting for me to set up agility jumps, etc. Every chance she gets. Grady has no interest in it.

What's she lacking in her system?

She currently eats Taste of the wild and Diamond lamb and Rice. I'm not impressed with their coats and Grady can't put any weight on with it so I'm switching to an Orijen and Merrick Wilderness combo. They also are on garlic/yeart tabs, fish oil and gluc/cond/msm (I'm out of this at the moment and have some on order).

Is there some reason you are combining the products? Doing that can throw off the mineral premix ratios. It's better to switch between products if you want to offer the variety.

Try a smidge of potassium. Some Border Collies respond well to offering a bit more potassium. If your dog likes banana, that's a great way to see whether that's the problem. Otherwise, look for "No Salt" in the store where they sell salt/seasonings, and just add a teeny sprinkle on her food - like maybe twenty grains.

Not much help from me but I do know that right now, my dogs are all eating clay in my yard! And love it!! This seems to be limited to spring - they don't seem to bother much once the weather gets really warm. Since my dogs are all fed the same stuff year round, I don't know if it's something they are lacking or whether the clay just tastes good!

You know, Willow has recently begun eating dirt, and it would make perfect sense that her potassium is off, given the increased water intake/urination that goes with all the meds she's on. Rather than just randomly add stuff to her food, I think I'll ask the vet about that theory, since in her case (heart problems) there could be more serious consequences.

J.

I'm glad you asked this because Ody has become a soil-eating fiend in the last few weeks. Now he has Spirit interested in his new hobby, too. I asked our vet about Ody's backyard snacking at his last appointment, but we have so many other things to worry about with him that I don't think it's on really on her radar.

And I've been hearing from friends in Tennessee and Alabama that their dogs who have never previously shown an interest in eating dirt or mud have started doing it recently. None of the dogs in question has had a diet or known health change, and we are collectively baffled by the new behavior.

And I've been hearing from friends in Tennessee and Alabama that their dogs who have never previously shown an interest in eating dirt or mud have started doing it recently. None of the dogs in question has had a diet or known health change, and we are collectively baffled by the new behavior.

Interesting, Lenajo and I were just talking about what possibly is being blown in on the tropical low that is flooding the south right now. Last week "all" of mine began eating the clay/dirt like it was friggin candy! Bananas are a general staple in their diet as are many other fruits and veggies. I'd like to know if it is something coming in with the weather, I'd gladly buy it to stop them from scavenging it in the dirt!

It's interesting that so many other dogs are eating dirt/clay. I do notice the dirt she eats has a clay tecture to it. It's not random. My first though was this could be where bison patties have composted back to dirt and maybe the soil have a pooh taste. But I'm sure there are no bison in the south west :D Lucia didn't start until we got back to WY. No dirt eating in NY. I just had her at the vets for her yearly last week and it never occured to me to ask them about it. They are really awesome vets and i'm sure I could just call them ask about it.

Is there some reason you are combining the products? Doing that can throw off the mineral premix ratios. It's better to switch between products if you want to offer the variety.

Try a smidge of potassium. Some Border Collies respond well to offering a bit more potassium. If your dog likes banana, that's a great way to see whether that's the problem. Otherwise, look for "No Salt" in the store where they sell salt/seasonings, and just add a teeny sprinkle on her food - like maybe twenty grains.

I've always mixed brands. Someone stuck it in my head a long time ago that mixing foods brands was good because what one food lacked, the other had. The other reason is the protien content. I'm know Grady can handle the high protien of a grain free food since he's a ball of motion 24/7, but I think Lucia might end up fat on it (opinions?) because she's not as active. So I mix a grain free and a good quality corn free food. I had them both a 1/2 raw diet last summer (raw in am, kibble in pm), but with all my traveling, it became too hard to keep up with. Maybe I'll start it up again. They both did really well on it.

Neither of mine like bananas. Lucia plays with them (gross!) and Grady just turns a nose. Lucia is more apt to eat an odd food than Grady, but neither really likes fruits or veggies (just like their mom :rolleyes: )

• 5 months later...

My older dog has been doing this off and on for several years. Not a huge quantity, but very consistent. Doesn't seem to matter if the dirt is wet or dry (though probably more when it's damp, just cuz it's easier to get up!), lawn dirt or even plain old desert sand, any time of year. I've asked vets and done lots of 'net research...no convincing evidence that it has anything at all to do with a "mineral deficiency"....and while I would have said awhile back, that it was in no way a "behavioral" issue, now I think it really is. Sigh. The younger dog shows no interest whatsoever (he's probably just too busy sniffing and playing to bother stopping long enough to eat dirt!).

diane