BC Boards

Sighs

Two occasions seems to spark my Sophia to do that immense, lung-cleansing sigh.

One is when she is finally serious about going to sleep. You know, the bed is finally rumpled in the correct configuration, all itches have been attended to, etc. That's when I know she's finally done squirming and we can BOTH get some rest.

The other is when she is going for the Academy Award Best Actress In a Melodrama...usually when she realizes that the answer to her question is "no" whatever the question may have been. So with her, it's disappointment, disgust, petulant anger, and so forth--all blown way out of proportion to the actual event. The sigh can even be emphasized by throwing herself on the floor like a silent movie star...I really expect her to put her paw dramatically to her forehead...it's way over the top!

Two occasions seems to spark my Sophia to do that immense, lung-cleansing sigh.

One is when she is finally serious about going to sleep. You know, the bed is finally rumpled in the correct configuration, all itches have been attended to, etc. That's when I know she's finally done squirming and we can BOTH get some rest.

The other is when she is going for the Academy Award Best Actress In a Melodrama...usually when she realizes that the answer to her question is "no" whatever the question may have been. So with her, it's disappointment, disgust, petulant anger, and so forth--all blown way out of proportion to the actual event. The sigh can even be emphasized by throwing herself on the floor like a silent movie star...I really expect her to put her paw dramatically to her forehead...it's way over the top!

Too funny!! :rolleyes: Yes, Scooter does the first one too, just before finally settling down for the night. And I suspect that the second one applies also--he's ticked off that he didn't get to play (for the umpteenth time!) or he can't have a treat. He doesn't throw himself on the floor (yet!) however. (Must be a female thing!) :D I usually get the sigh and THE STARE! :D

Usually we get the sigh when Daisy has completed her attempt at digging a hole in her arm chair and flopps down. I don't know if it's a comfort thing, like "ya, that's the spot" or an irritated thing, like "f'ing cushion!". She will also sigh when she's bored. If I am on my computer she will come and get some attention, but if it's not enough she will lay on her bed and sigh and stare right at me. That one is really over dramatic!

All three of mine give that long, last, drawn-out sigh before they go to bed. The sound resonates with the great reluctance of dogs who do not want to be overcome by sleep, but whose eyelids have betrayed them, and darkness falls. This sound can and does scare the crap out of guests, who assume that I am keeping an old man or men locked in my bedroom against their will - perhaps as an ill-fated attempt to "eat local". Thus I have made up this rather flowery description of why my dogs are groaning.

Only Lou does the dramatic flop/sigh manoeuvre, and generally it occurs when Lou is told that it's time for him to go back in his crate in the van. It goes down as follows:

1. First, one must slink slowly towards the van, as if anticipating a beating.
  2. When one is within 3 feet of the van, look back longingly - is there anyone that can rescue you from this most terrible impending confinement?
  3. When the door of your crate is reached, wag tail sadly, as if to indicate that you couldn't possibly hop up the 5 inches required to enter the crate, and if you MUST return to the car, perhaps the passenger seat would be a more appropriate resting place. Never mind that you just ran a full Open course with an 800+ yard outrun. You simply can not jump the 5 inches to get in your crate.
  4. Place one massive front paw on the runner, then remove slowly and gingerly. Try to evoke feelings akin to second last verse of AE Houseman's To An Athlete Dying Young - "So set, before its echoes fade, the fleet foot on the sill of shade..."
  5. Receive small "tap" on arse to indicate that kennel up is not an option. With great indignation (and surprising agility for a large dog) hop into PetMate 2-Door Wire Crate.
  6. Throw oneself onto one's memory foam pad in manner of Amy Winehouse after a bender and let loose the most tragic, disgusted sigh to ever emote from Canis Familiaris.

Yup. That's my drama queen.

Shadow sighs for a few reasons:

-shes sleepy and ready for bed, usualy followed by her walking to the stairs and looking at me with a "You coming?" look.

-when she is annoyed at me for making her lay down.

-when she's asked to calm down and stop horseplaying with Penny.

-and first thing in the morning when I "force" her to get out of bed hehe

Lil miss attitude LOL

All three of mine give that long, last, drawn-out sigh before they go to bed. The sound resonates with the great reluctance of dogs who do not want to be overcome by sleep, but whose eyelids have betrayed them, and darkness falls. This sound can and does scare the crap out of guests, who assume that I am keeping an old man or men locked in my bedroom against their will - perhaps as an ill-fated attempt to "eat local". Thus I have made up this rather flowery description of why my dogs are groaning.

Only Lou does the dramatic flop/sigh manoeuvre, and generally it occurs when Lou is told that it's time for him to go back in his crate in the van. It goes down as follows:

2. When one is within 3 feet of the van, look back longingly - is there anyone that can rescue you from this most terrible impending confinement?
  3. When the door of your crate is reached, wag tail sadly, as if to indicate that you couldn't possibly hop up the 5 inches required to enter the crate, and if you MUST return to the car, perhaps the passenger seat would be a more appropriate resting place. Never mind that you just ran a full Open course with an 800+ yard outrun. You simply can not jump the 5 inches to get in your crate.
  4. Place one massive front paw on the runner, then remove slowly and gingerly. Try to evoke feelings akin to second last verse of AE Houseman's To An Athlete Dying Young - "So set, before its echoes fade, the fleet foot on the sill of shade..."
  5. Receive small "tap" on arse to indicate that kennel up is not an option. With great indignation (and surprising agility for a large dog) hop into PetMate 2-Door Wire Crate.
  6. Throw oneself onto one's memory foam pad in manner of Amy Winehouse after a bender and let loose the most tragic, disgusted sigh to ever emote from Canis Familiaris.

LOL! :rolleyes: They're such performers, aren't they? And if they can get an audience, all the better!! Goofy dogs! :D

Ha! You could be describing Twist's behavior when I try to get her back in her crate in the van while at a dog trial. It doesn't matter if we just ran, if she's been tied out all day, or if we've just gone for a potty break, the whole get back in the van thing is certainly a time for melodrama.

J.

Funny, I was just thinking about The Sigh today. The very first thing Buzz used to do every morning was rub his face, both sides, on the floor, repeatedly. Then he'd stand up, shake himself, and be ready to go outside.

Once his leg was amputated, he couldn't do that anymore, so I'd scratch his head for him, and he'd melt. He'd sigh this big contented ooofff, his head would get heavier in my hands, and his eyes would close in bliss.

Sam sighs when I brush her, Shonie sighs at bedtime.

Ruth

Many of you have probably seen this, but I think it kind of says it all.

Danielle took her mother by the hand and headed to the door. "Don't worry, I'll find one this weekend," she said.

Over the next few days both mom and dad had long conversations with her.

They both felt she was being too particular. "It's this weekend or we're not looking any more," Dad finally said in frustration.

"We don't want to hear anything more about puppy size either," Mom added.

Sure enough, they were the first ones in the shelter on Saturday morning. By now Danielle knew her way around, so she ran right for the section that housed the smaller dogs.

Tired of the routine, mom sat in the small waiting room at the end of the first row of cages. There was an observation window so you could see the animals during times when visitors weren't permitted.

Danielle walked slowly from cage to cage, kneeling periodically to take a closer look. One by one the dogs were brought out and she held each one.

One by one she said, "Sorry, you're not the one."

It was the last cage on this last day in search of the perfect pup.

The volunteer opened the cage door and the child carefully picked up the dog and held it closely. This time she took a little longer.

"Mom, that's it! I found the right puppy! He's the one! I know it!" she screamed with joy. "It's the puppy size!"

"But it's the same size as all the other puppies you held over the last few weeks," Mom said.

"No not size ---- the sighs. When I held him in my arms, he sighed," she said.

"Don't you remember? When I asked you one day what love is, you told me love depends on the sighs of your heart. The more you love, the bigger the sigh!" :rolleyes:

The two women looked at each other for a moment. Mom didn't know whether to laugh or cry. As she stooped down to hug the child, she did a little of both.

"Mom, every time you hold me, I sigh. When you and Daddy come home from work and hug each other, you both sigh. I knew I would find the right puppy if it sighed when I held it in my arms," she said.

Then holding the puppy up close to her face she said, "Mom, he loves me. I heard the sighs of his heart!"

Most of the time Black Jack sighs when he's about to go to sleep or gets tired of waiting for me to get dressed to go play frisbee. He'll lay his frisbee down in between his front paws, lay his head inside the frisbee and let out a sigh as if to say "Come on already!!".