BC Boards

To Bark, or Not To Bark?

So I'm wondering what everyone's policy is on barking/growling. Allowed? Not allowed? Zero tolerance?

Jade is still doing this barking/growling nonsense. The BF says she's still just a pup and that she'll grow out of it, but I'm a little less than convinced. She'll give an alert bark, usually a very loud, sharp, shrill one that actually scares me because it's so abrupt and sudden, followed by growling as she trots over to her nearest human, where the growling usually does not then cease. Nothing I do seems to satisfy her, I try and get excited and play, or I try to get her to show me what's bothering her, get her to cycle through her tricks (if I can get her to concentrate on me...), etc. etc. etc. I've posted on this before and it's pretty much the same old song and dance, but I'm wondering if I should just live with the growling. I know (or at least I think...?) she's scared (her ears go back and she shows a little submissive behavior) but I can't seem to comfort her. I can't usually tell what she's alerting to. Sometimes when she's growling, it's just a matter of pursing her lips, sometimes the sound doesn't even come out. IMO, that still counts as growling.

Sorry, I'm probably sounding like a broken record... but this is ridiculously frustrating... :rolleyes:

I take it Jade is a puppy and she may grow out of it as she not only gets older but also develops some confidence. Let me give you an example. My oldest dog is six and the only time he barks is when he is excited to play. When he is working, not a sound but when this guy was a puppy he made us crazy. Now he has the whole world figured out and it is no big deal or scary. My middle dog is four and he almost never barks and never has. I would bet he does ten barks per year. He is also my best dog and I have found that there is something about herding training that takes the bark out of them. My youngest dog is one and he barks at everything, he is alert to everything and does not miss a thing. However when he is playing or training he never barks. I can understand how a young dog would think he needs to defend against the world. I am not so sure how you can train the bark out of him but I often think that the more things and situations the dogs are exposed to the more confident and relaxed they become. I have seen dogs that bark constantly at everything and in a good bunch of these cases it is a dog that has lack of stimulation. They are tied up and left alone a lot. This is not to say that your dog is. It is very good that you have taught your dog tricks and he can probably learn to do a thousand things. Give him some time, exposure and stimulation he will probably start to settle down when he gets the world figured out.

I don't know if this is relevant to your situation or not, but I'll share. The last few days Juno has done sharp, sudden alarm barking followed by little growls in the kitchen and laundry room, and I was puzzled as to why since I didn't see anything, no raccoon in the yard, no visible deer, etc. I was starting to wonder if something was in her ear. Juno sleeps in her crate, which is in the kitchen. Well, last night, after midnight, Juno was alert barking. I took her outside to potty and she went back in and back to sleep. Twenty minutes later, barking again. This second time I responded, and I finally heard what was troubling her. A RAT!!! My landlady here should NOT be allowed to shop at Costco. She'd left a large opened box of Kirkland dog biscuits on the floor in the laundry room, and it had a rat in it. Well, suffice it to say that I now realize there is nothing wrong with Juno's hearing!

I've known several BCs and Aussies who growl a lot. Scooter's more of a growler than a barker though, as is my brother's Aussie. I'm wondering if it's something herding breeds do. Sometimes Scooter's growl is so low, it almost hurts my ears! :rolleyes: However, in another post, I was wondering why my normally quiet dog is suddenly barking at what appears to me to be nothing. I don't like a barking dog--mine or others. The occasional "alert" bark is fine, but not constant. I might lean towards the puppy thing too, but keep working with her so she understands this is not acceptable behavior.

Ceana will actually cuddle into your body and growl or show lip. She started doing this at about 5-6 months of age and hasn't stopped since. I do not know what causes it, but she deffinetly has her ears back and a very not happy demeanor when she does it. She is upset about something and seeks out a person I can only assume to make it better. I am not sure if this is similar to what your pup is doing, but it sounds like it could be. If it does sound similar do not react to it. I just tell her she is silly and if she continues to growl I tell her if she wants to be sassy she can go and sit by herself and then I turn myself away from her. She usually cuts the lip out then, and cuddles back in w/out the lip.

The vet and ourselves are under the impression that it might be pain, but it could be all mental. If this sounds like your girl I am sorry and I wish I had more answers, if not consider yourself lucky lol.

ETA: Ceana will do all of her "tricks" while still in a growly demanor.

All three of mine bark if someone approaches our house (BC/ACD dorbell).

Jak growls quietly at "strangers" (stranger = equals EVERYONE other than my husband and I... he has issues :rolleyes: )... but otherwise doesn't bark much at all. Jak seems terrified of pretty much everyone other then us. I have him in regular agility classes and he's started to accept the folks I play agility with... everyone else, gets growled at (while he stays close to me). I was thrilled a few weeks ago when he managed to handle being measured by a judge at an agility trial without growling at the judge. We're working on building his confidence, as I believe his growling is fear based. Jak is 2.5 yrs... we have a lot of work to do still.

Lizzy barks her freakin' head off when I play frisbee with Jak (ACD can't stand to see the BCs playing)... and when she wants back in the house, gives one sharp cattle dog bark...other than that, she's quiet.

Now Brassy.... OMG she is a barker!!! She wakes up barking and will bark at just about anything (except the cats... she loves the cats). When she first came to us she only barked when we were getting ready to go for a walk, but in the last year the frequency of her barking has escalated. I just assumed the increase in barking was due to the loss of hearing... she's pretty much 100% deaf now. Even though I wish she would'nt bark in my face at 6 in the morning (while dancing next to my bed, wanting food)... there is something about it I find pretty sweet...hmmmmm, must be because she's old. I'm a sucker for old dogs. :D

Shelby does something like this also....

Drvies me CRAZY!

She'll growl softly... then do her little woof woofs barely audiable... hackles will rise, and if I don't stop her in time its full out barking that some next.... then when I get her to stop barking... she'll wonder around with her hackles up still just woof woofing........

My BF thought it was ok to let her do this unless she barked. but now she does it at everything!!! dogs cats people ME! until she notices that its me... and I just can't get her attention..

so if you figure out how to stop this. pass it along!! :rolleyes:

Ruger is pretty good about barking and I usually don't have to correct him now. I do not allow him to bark at neighbors, kids, bike riders, etc. This was never allowed. He still occasionally does a low growl at kids and I put a stop to that. I do not discourage warning barks. When he really sees a threat he goes into a high pitch bark. I always check those out. He is very yard protective which explains some of his growls or barks. I have a love hate relationship with that behavior. He is a fair watch dog.

His happy bark is more of a rooooo. I worked with him to say his name off this funny sound.

I can not stand to hear the boys bark. I try not to discourage the "guard barks" I sometimes hear at night, but I also don't want to disturb anyone. Mine don't know what strangers are during the day, strangers only come out at night. They don't usually bark durning the day unless it is at a squirrel in the barn. I can't stand that! lol

If Jade's behavior is fear based, and it sounds like it is, the worst thing you can do is "comfort" her. This only reinforces the fear reaction in dogs. They do not respond like human children. Check out the area, and if you see nothing and hear nothing, just stay very relaxed and tell hder it is fine and jolly her. "Oh your'e so silly" in a happy voice ot something similar, like Ceana's Mom.

Kathy Robbins