BC Boards

Males vs. Females

Guest SweetJordan

Guest SweetJordan

Are there any differences between a male BC and a female BC? Just wondering of there are any noticeable differences besides the subtle differences across all breeds.

If you've lived w/ both which do you prefer and why?

Hmm, hard to say since I haven't had a lot of BCs.

My males are more assertive and protective than my females. When someone comes to the door, Dakota stands by our sides and growls, and Buddy would bark until he saw it was a friendly person. When someone comes into our house, Dakota makes it pretty clear that he considers himself superior to the intruders and usually doesn't want them to fawn over him until he gets to know them. Eve and Dash are submissive and affectionate to everyone.

Eve and Dash are more snarky than Dakota and Buddy. They aren't nearly as patient with other dogs, but they are FAR more patient with people. This could be because they're young. I'm not sure at this point.

The sex linked differences (other than size differences) I have seen appear to be within certain lines, not breed wide.

We are moving towards all females because we do not care for the marking, chattering (after sampling female urine), and sex drive that can be bad with some males.

Mark

SweetJordan,

You might want to do a search on this topic, as it has been discussed a few times and you wouldn't want to miss what others have said in the past if they don't repeat themselves here.

I prefer females, but that means I get to live with inter-female snarkiness. I dislike males for the reasons Mark states, although I think the males of the line of dogs I have tend to be very loving toward humans and just all around sweet. But I can do without the other male behaviors. Of course, Pip may change my mind, but I doubt it....

J.

I prefer females, but that means I get to live with inter-female snarkiness. I dislike males for the reasons Mark states, although I think the males of the line of dogs I have tend to be very loving toward humans and just all around sweet. But I can do without the other male behaviors. Of course, Pip may change my mind, but I doubt it....

Based on my limited experience, I think the boys tend to mature a little slower than the girls. And they often have a sweet, goofy aspect to them that I don't see in the girls as much. I'm much more drawn to males and since my boys are all neutered, I don't have issues with sexual behaviors. Quinn was neutered at 12 months and the only bad behavior he had before the operation was that chattering over female urine. That drove me nuts, I admit but has almost completely disappeared since he was neutered.

...they (males) often have a sweet, goofy aspect to them that I don't see in the girls as much. I'm much more drawn to males and since my boys are all neutered, I don't have issues with sexual behaviors.

I agree with the sweet goofy aspect. I have had both and not only in just Borders. I tend to prefer a male over a female for the simple reason that they seem to be more people oriented and do tend to be a bit more goofy. It is always going to depend on the specific dog regardless of sex or breed but I think males tend to be a bit more of a love bug as a rule of thumb.

My last Border was a male and when he passed I purposely chose another boy. The biggest thing to help a male is to have him neutered. Its not a cure-all but it certainly makes a huge difference. It is always best to have it done as young as possible as well.

My female is reserved, serious, focused, lives to please and loves her family - takes her a while to warm up to strangers. She is an excellent watch dog.

My male is goofy, sweet, very self-motivated, and has ADD. He warms up to people much quicker and would make a horrid watch dog. He wasn't neutered until he was 2 y/o, but has no undesirable male behaviors.

I think my dogs behavior is more a result of their personal nature, breeding and upbringing (I got both as adults) rather than sex.

when they rattle their upper and lower teeth together and slobber after licking or smelling urine.

That's what that was???

Our late BC, Scudder, would do that all the time. Drove me nuts. And it didn't seem to matter if the urine was from a male or female.

when they rattle their upper and lower teeth together and slobber after licking or smelling urine.

Is this just a BC thing or do males of other breeds do the same? Is it an involuntary reaction or something that some males like to do and others don't? or a personality thing?

I just realized that of the 9 dogs i have been "owned" by only 2 have been males. I haven't ever picked a dog by sex as most of them have "chosen me", or just been the one that is available.

Lucy will chatter her teeth occasionally when working sheep (when she is sitting or downing and intense). When I first saw it I thought she was cold, but the next time, I didn't even have my jacket on, so I don't think it was because she was cold. Lucy is a girl :rolleyes:

I've known a BC bitch do it too.

Pam

I don't notice a whole lot of difference between my male BC and my females. I think a lot of it is personality. My male doesn't mark in the house. He was neutered around 6 months. He really doesn't do a lot of marking outside, either. He pees a river in one place and is pretty much done until next time. Once in a while I'll see him mark when we are out walking, the rest of the time he is too focused on the ball or whatever we are doing to go around marking. My females are more snappy and snarky, that is for sure. Otherwise, they each have their own and very different personalities.

The sex linked differences (other than size differences) I have seen appear to be within certain lines, not breed wide.

I totally agree. In the line I have, the females seem to mature a LOT earlier than the males, and are much more level-headed at a VERY young age, meaning I can start them sooner. As a result, I have mostly females, but, as Julie pointed out, I then have to put up with some snarkiness. :rolleyes:

A

Well, I'm sort of on my first male border collie... and could do without some of the male things like the chattering. That part annoys me - that and the peeing on the front feet thing. However, I find the goofy wiggly silly thing to be quite endearing, and the less snarky factor suits me well. I'd have to say for me the jury is still out as to which I prefer at this point, but I'm enjoying the heck out of having a male around - and Zippy doesn't completely count.

Guest SweetJordan
Lucy will chatter her teeth occasionally when working sheep (when she is sitting or downing and intense). When I first saw it I thought she was cold, but the next time, I didn't even have my jacket on, so I don't think it was because she was cold. Lucy is a girl :rolleyes:

I've heard that dogs will chatter their teeth when excited or nervous. Which would explain why males do it after smelling urine, but it would also explain why a female would do it.

Riley does a variation of it. Her teeth don't actually touch, but her lower jaw will quiver when she gets excited or nervous. In her case it's kind of funny. I'll say for example, "Riley do you want to go for a run?" And immediately her lower jaw will start to quiver followed by jumping and dancing around.

My males don't chatter, unless they are in the presence of a bitch in full-blown heat ... and even then it's not a lot of chattering. Neither marks in the house, and Lou rarely marks outside. He squats to pee (which occassionally means he pees on his feet). Lou was neutered at 3.5 years of age, and Bear was already neutered when I adopted him so I don't know at what age he was snipped.

Anyway, agree with everyone else, in that "it depends". I don't notice a huge difference between my males and my one female. The males are more outgoing with people and other dogs, but I think that's just their personalities, rather than a sex-based characteristic. Plus Wick's a snob. :rolleyes:

I will always have at least 2 dogs, one of each. But my males have definitely been the nicer pets (yet Delta is my favourite dog, go figure). I definitely prefer the males but I cant pinpoint exactly why that is. Mine are always desexed though so I dont have the hormone related problems that others probably have.

I have boys and girls, funny, that I like the boys more as pups than I do the girls, but as they start to mature, I find I appreciate the girls much more. Probably because they seem to mature faster and train easier/ faster. The gals seem more attentive to me, the boys seem to have thier own agenda, and mostly, its the girls!

Charlie's sister was owned by my parent's neighbors for a while, but they gave her to a rescue because the couldn't handle her. I guess she was much more work focused than Char. That and the owner did a bunch of reading on BC's after they got her (even though I TOLD them BC's can require a lot of work) and they got scared that the dog was going to herd the kids or something (though not to likely, the kids are like 8 and 10)

Anyways during the time they kept her I took Char over to play with her, so he could have some time with another BC. She always dominated him, even though he was 28lbs and she was 15. Char could out run her, but the second she caught him he was on his back again and she was workin him over pretty good. I almost wanted to take her instead of Char when I got him (she runs up to people and literally hugs you, it's too cute) but I really wanted a b&w male (she's a red and white) I wanted a male for 2 reasons. First I was afraid of the female being to small for me to ruff house with, and 2 neutering is soooooooo much easier to deal with than spaying, and there's noooooo way I wouldn't get a bitch spayed, cause spaying is soooooooooooooooooooo much easier than the alternative. Plus since I'm a boy I think were on the same page :rolleyes: