BC Boards

Boo got attacked by a housecat!

This evening I took Boo for a walk in my neighborhood and as we were passing one of the houses up the street from me I noticed a couple of older kittens playing in the culvert under a driveway. There was also an adult cat nearby that I recognized as the one belonging to the people who live across the street from where we walking. When we approached from about 10 feet away I asked Boo to sit in a heel position and give me his attention (he was on a leash). As I did, the adult cat casually walked across the street to the front yard of the home where it lives, while Boo stayed put. Then we continued to walk down the street. When we had gotten about 50 feet past where the kittens were playing, suddenly the adult cat came tearing across the street yowling, and leaped onto Boo. Boo yelped, taken completely by surprise. He started to whirl around just as I reflexively kicked the cat, who had been hanging onto him with his claws while biting him. It flew about four feet and when it landed it started heading back to its own front yard. Then it spun around and started to charge again. This time, I ran toward it yelling, with poor confused Boo in tow until it backed off long enough for us to get the hell out of Dodge.

So I'm still pretty freaked out. And I can just imagine what a mess it would have been if I had had Kit along. At the very least, I'd probably be nursing skid marks on my knees and hands. This cat lives right up the street from me. I've passed that house nearly every day all summer. Do I go up to the house and tell the owners (who I don't know) that their cat attacked my dog? It just sounds so ... incredible. Besides, I seriously doubt they would actually do anything about it, like confine it indoors. Do carry a spray bottle on my walks? I wouldn't want to deliberately hurt someone's pet, but my automatic reaction is going to be to do whatever it takes to protect my dog.

I've checked Boo over carefully, but I can't find any flesh wounds, and he hasn't been licking anywhere. I'm still concerned that if he did sustain any and I can't find them they'll fester and cause an infection. Geez-- This is so very disturbing!

I like your spray bottle idea. You don't want to take the chance of getting anything in Boo's eyes that might hurt him. This might have been just a one time deal but if it happens often enough, the cat will learn what the spray bottle looks like and learn to stay away when it sees the bottle.

wow thats an incredible story, and i would have freaked too, i know what my german shepard would have done to that cat lol.....but thats another story, but heres food for thought, go to local toy store, and pick up a super soaker squirt gun, most cats cant stand spray bottles or getting wet, i think a good spray with a super soaker would change the cats mind really quick. if all else fails and that dont work, take a spray bottle and fill it 75%water, and 25% vinagar and aim for the nose, end of problem for good, cats hate vinagar just as much as dogs lol

good luck

ej aka the bandit

That's scary stuff. I hate cats like that. They scare me, you never know what they're going to do. I think you did what was best. Next time you should try that spray bottle idea.

I would rather tangle with a dog any day! Cats are evil, crazy creatures! lol I'm glad it didn't turn out worse.

I have carried mace for years. I never had to use it until three months ago. At work I park in the parking garage. A shadey fella came up to me out of no where, and I decided to drench him with mace. He was warned, but did not back away. I sprayed both of us. Truth be told, yes, I am an idiot, but you don't gage the wind before you squeeze the trigger. We were both coughing and gagging, him totally blind, me half blind! Mace works wonders, but even a fine mist in your direction can make a bad situation worse.

I don't walk off the farm anymore, but when I did I always carried a cattle prod. Light weight, and very effective.

Along the lines of AK Dog Doc's comment and not meaning to scare you, but it may be worth your while to go talk to the cat's owners and make sure it is up-to-date on its rabies vaccine. If not, they may appreciate knowing that their cat is acting out of character (that is, you don't have to frame it as "your cat attacked my dog" but rather as "your cat came after my dog, which is completely out of character for your cat--could something be going on?") so they can take some steps to see what's up with the cat. Most people don't fool around at the mention of rabies, especially since they would be at risk too....

J.

I've checked Boo over carefully, but I can't find any flesh wounds, and he hasn't been licking anywhere. I'm still concerned that if he did sustain any and I can't find them they'll fester and cause an infection. Geez-- This is so very disturbing!

Keep a close eye on him because cat scratches (bites) can become very infected. Some cats (just like dogs) can overly reactive and attack without provocation; but it makes sense to make sure the cat has had its rabies shots, for the protection of your dog and others.

Good luck!

Strange. Not unheard of, but strange. :rolleyes:

I second the idea of "super-soaker" type of water gun along for the next few walks. A spray bottle may or may not work, but a sudden dousing with several ounces of mildly-pressurized watter will get any cat's attention, and it'll be longer ranged than any spray bottle - you can strike first if the cat's charging, and maybe change his mind forever.

Definitely talk to the cat's owner. Same thing happened to our office manager, only it was her small son who was attacked. Sure enough, poor cat was rabid. :rolleyes: And this wasn't out in the boonies where I live. Our office manager's in a nice neighborhood, and the cat belonged to the folks next door.

Not to scare you, but I'd probably take him to a vet if he has any open wounds from the cat's nails. Cat's carry staph in their nails and sometimes, not always, it can be passed along through a scratch. I used to work at a vet in high school and got a cat scratch that wouldn't heal. Ended up in the hospital septic, took them a month to realize that staph was coursing through my blood and eating away at my kidney. After a month, they had to remove my kidney, it was so badly destroyed. Needless to say, I'm leary of getting scratched by a cat. Took me a LONG time to not be afraid of them. I do have a cat, though, so I guess I got over it. :rolleyes:

Not commen, but certainly not rare.

A tom cat moved in under a friend's house and attacked her JRT one day. It took her and someone else to rescue the dog, who required over 180 stitches!!! And no the dog did *not* provoke the cat.

The cat was not rabid, it was just a pissed and defending it's new territory.

A truly angry cat comes at you like a boxer - on it's hind legs, screaming and yowling, and it *will* hurt you if it can - badly.

I checked Boo again very carefully last night while I massaged his entire left side and shoulders with the tips of my fingers. I didn't find so much as a scratch, but I will continue to monitor him very closely. This all transpired in the blink of an eye, and I hooked the cat just right when I kicked it off of Boo, so it didn't have much time to get any good licks in.

I had already decide to contact these people, unfortunately according to neighborhood gossip, they are not the most responsible or cooperative types, so in the first place I seriously doubt their cat has had any vaccines, and in the second, I wouldn't be surprised if they claim it's a stray that they feed and hangs out at their house. I am also going to contact a neighbor who might know these people to get a better feel for the situation. She takes walks past their house 2-3 times a day. And Julie, the approach you suggested was exactly what I planned on, so as not to make it a confrontation. Thanks everyone. I'm still spooked about walking the dogs.

Did the kittens belong to the cat that attacked? We once visited a farm to pick up some old fence posts that we bought. I only had Jazz with me and she is as docile as a rock. She jumped out of the truck and a momma cat came barreling out of a building that was about 100 feet away from the truck. She chased Jazz back into the truck and then stood guard so that Jazz did not get back out of the truck. I assumed she was guarding her babies that I saw wondering around the shack (after the attack).

Jazz has been terrified of cats ever since then.

After talking to the owners to find out if the cat has it's vacinations, I'd steer clear of the cat. Even a spray bottle will not deter a momma protecting her babies. Can you take a different route?

Kristen

Guest LJS1993

I'm a rookie around here but I always carry a kali stick or axe handle with me on our walks around the neighborhood or the ranch. I know it sounds extreme, and may be so, however the safety of my dog (family) is of the utmost importance. I would go to the owners and make sure it has all of it's innoculations, then discuss keeping the damn animal indoors. If that proved un-productive I say go to the animal control agency and fix the problem.

hmmm Nancy...

Reminds me of a cat I promised to take care of for a bit while my friends moved..... I let him inside and then I let shelby in.... and from across the room (while Shelby was ignoring him) he FLEW over and attacked her!! really attacked her. I ended up kicking him off her then throwing him out side. BUT when I went to leave... he was guarding the stairs. and I couldn't get Shelby outside with out him attacking her..... I ended up carrrying a Hissing scratching cat by the scruff down stairs and walking a dog on a leash that was very interested in the cat.... *sigh* cats

So I go up to the guy who owns the hell-cat and tell him my disturbing tale. He's very apologetic and asks if my pup is OK and I tell him I haven't been able to find any puncture wounds but if Boo develops an abcess or an infection he can bet he'll be hearing from me. It was almost amusing, when I got to the part about having to kick his cat to get it off my dog he made a sympathetic face and said, Aww, that's OK, and I rather cynically retorted, Yeah, I know it is. So this cat is indeed, the mother of the two kittens I saw. The guy reassured me that it is up to date on its vaccs, and I told him how relieved I was to hear that and all, but that I'd really need to see the rabies certificate. So now he gives me the song and dance about how he and his wife are in the middle of a divorce and she moved out in March and she took some of the files and he'll have to check with her and then check his own files which are in a mess. And I said, oh please, you needn't go to all that bother, just call the vet's office and ask them to provide a copy of the cert. But now only his wife knows which vet gave the cat the shot. So I told him I'd call him in two days and to please contact his wife to get the information in the mean time. So then he tells me (to make me feel better about it :rolleyes: ) this isn't the first time the cat has attacked a dog. It seems the cat attacked his dog in the house shortly after the kittens were born and he had to take the dog in for stitches. Then he has the cajones to ask me if I want a kitten! He's got two left and he's already gotten rid of 3 (one disappeared) and if he can't find homes for these two pretty soon he'll have to take them to the humane society. After I ask him how many litters this cat has had and he tells me this is her second, I get all up on my soapbox and give him the responsible ownership shpiel basically try to shame him and he promises me, oh so earnestly, that the cat is going in to get spayed in 2 weeks. Anyway, I'm fairly confident that even if the cat didn't have a rabies shot that it's not rabid. I've yet to detect any injuries to Boo. So other than taking an alternate route on our walks, I guess this is where the melodrama ends. Oh and Walgreen's was having ther end of summer stock sale so I bought a little squirt gun for .99. They had the big ones, like the super soakers,but I didn't want to haul it around. My hands are plenty full enough walking Boo and Kit on leashes together.

You must be a very well mannered person. His reaction makes me livid. It's not even my dog and this story makes me want to slap the man (not that I in any way condone violence as a tactic in conflict resolution). And okay- this will totally mark me as a crazy pet person, but no wonder they are getting divorced if he doesn't even know who is vet is. Of course if they are letting their unspayed cat wander the streets like a hobo who knows if they even have one. Your poor puppy. I wouldn't freak out too much though, you being a good mom have your vaccinations in order. Poor puppy.

Hooboy. Sounds like a fun time.

Since those kittens were hers... yeah, I'm not too surprized. We recently had a mama cat in our sanctuary that went freaking NUTS. Once the kittens were gone she's a fine and dandy cat, but she was a seriously peeved off kitty when her kittens were there. (Just to check the kittens out we had to trap her in a crate.)

And yeah... an angry cat is freaking scary. I've gotten bit by a 90lb dog before, and I got the snot beat out of me by a cat. I don't know which one I'd pick if I had to. The cat (my own cat, btw) really did a number on my leg. They're vicious little creatures. :rolleyes:

I'm glad your dog is okay!! Sorry the owner of the cat is an irresponsible moron.

Might be a good idea to let your vet know about the attack, just incase. My mom almost died a couple years ago after one of my cats bit her.. within 24 hours the infection got so bad she was almost hospitalized (thats a big deal for us, since my dad is a doctor, he treats us at home). Don't get me wrong.. the cat isn't mean! Shes 90% blind and mom scared her! But yeah, cat scratches and bites can be nasty, I myself have a 4 month old scratch that still looks fresh *sigh* but they are super loving creatures (generally...) I know hehe, I have 6 =D