BC Boards

Size for a Crate

Any kind of formula relating the BC's height and weight to dimensions for an appropriate crate size? Or something? I'm on the wrong continent for taking the dog to the shop to try them on. Searching the boards and googling hasn't been too helpful.

I've gotten the BF to agree. Molly is going to get a crate. But how big should it be?

Thanks for any suggestions you can give!

Rebecca and Molly

Any kind of formula relating the BC's height and weight to dimensions for an appropriate crate size? Or something? I'm on the wrong continent for taking the dog to the shop to try them on. Searching the boards and googling hasn't been too helpful.

I've gotten the BF to agree. Molly is going to get a crate. But how big should it be?

Thanks for any suggestions you can give!

Rebecca and Molly

A large varikennel is 36"x24"x26", which is more than the average border collie needs. I'm not sure about other brands, but you can find all the sizes of all petmate's products here: http://varikennel.com/Catalog.plx?CID=8

I bet someone here has a BC that is the same size as Molly and can give you the precise size to get. Since BCs come in such a wide variety of sizes/shapes/colors, we might recommend something too big or too small.

-Do you know how tall and how much Molly weighs?

-Is she still a pup (ie. growing)?

-Also will you be needing the crate for potty training(too big isn't good for that, but if you don't need it for potty, then you might like her to have a bit more stretch room)?

River fits an Intermediate (1/2 size down from Med) sized plastic PetMate crate, but she's considered a small BC at 19.5" & 32lbs. That crate is too small for Diesel who is 21" and 42lbs. He can get in it, but it's a tight, curl up in a small ball, don't move and watch your head kind of fit. River lays on her back with her feet in the air in it. approx size: 32 x 22 x 23.

If you don't need it for potty training, if in doubt on size, pick Large. Main issue is height, as you want the dog to be able to stand up and turn around. Large is usually 36". Measure your dog from top of head to ground (regular height is from top of shoulder to ground (which is what my dogs' heights are listed as)) and go from there. The width and length of crates are usually nicely proportionate to the height.

There is a thread in these forums on this exact subject from earlier this year (2007).

Molly is well potty trained, so that shouldn't be an issue.

At almost 9 months, how much should we expect her still to grow? She is just finishing her first heat.

At the shoulder (like I'd measure a horse), she is 55 cm, approx. 21.6".

She weighs about 17 kg, approx. 37 pounds. (assuming the online converter I found was reliable)

Suggestions would be appreciation. I will definitely try to find the older thread RaisingRiver mentioned. I couldn't find it when I searched earlier.

We started with a 36"x24" wire crate with Annie, but after she caught and injured her leg in the wire one night, we went up to a 42"x28" crate. Annie does not need the length, but the width is ideal for her; she can stretch out without touching the sides of the crate. We also use a padded bolstered bed in the bottom of the crate at night when she is sleeping. She seems to love this crate, and "dens" without being forced to do so; in fact, it is her second-favorite hiding place in the event of fireworks or thuderstorms (her favorite is in our laps).

At 9 mos Molly should be pretty done growing - at least anything significant. River maxed around 7-9 mos.

30h x 36l x 25w is the Petmate Petporter crate Diesel is using - I just measured. It's several years old (like 6) so they won't have the same exact one anymore. I'd consider it oversized for him. Not positive if it's a Large or XLarge.

It's tall and bulky (to carry) but it fits sideways in my Odyssey minivan in the back (with enough squeeze room for the dog to get in if used that direction. It would be roomy for Molly to sleep any way she'd like - and you'd have room to put a water dish on the door inside if you wanted. Plus she could easily snack on a kong inside.

ETA: Oh, Diesel is actually 22", not 21". Sorry for the typo above.

I have a Pet Porter crate by PetMate. I think it's a large. It's a little bit big but he likes to stretch out. He's about 22" at the shoulder, and he weighs 44.3 lbs as of yesterday. I hope that helps.